Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2007, 05:34 PM   #1
vaf2314
Established Member

M.O.C. #7413
linoleum fix?

I have a small problem that i need some advice on. the 5th went in to the dealer for some minor adjustments (windows,curtains, doors, latches that needed adjustments) well on the list was a small slice (~1") in the floor by the kitchen heater vent. the dealer agrees this was done during the manufacturing process. appears the knife got away from the person who was cutting out the vent opening. I wasn't too keen on a seam sealer. the dealer told me he ordered some flooring and i saw the order form that included 45' of 1/4 round molding. why 45' i have no idea. but the 1/4 round led me to believe their intention was to cut up to the bottom of the cabinets and just place the 1/4 round over top of that seam. I guess my question is this. for those of you that have replaced the floor did you replace all the flooring from wall to wall or just to the bottom of the cabinets? I think there are positives and negatives for each repair method. any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. sorry for the long post.

thanks

Vince

vaf2314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:33 PM   #2
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Vince I had noticeable bumps in the linoleum flooring between the island and the sink. They had to get Keystone okay to pull the slide out(under warranty) so that they could get under the linoleum. The repairman said he used extra strength glue to hold it down. He didn't think the original glue was strong enough.

Sounds like they are going to cutout the bad area and replace it up to the bottom of the cabinets and cover the joints with 1/4 round. I think it will work okay. I'm sure that they will not take everything out so that they can replace all of the original linoleum. In case you didn't know, when they first build a 5th wheel, Keystone covers the entire floor with linoleum. I even have it under my carpet in the living room.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:48 PM   #3
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Is that right? Would that include the bathroom? My wife has wanted to pull up the carpet and only have lino, however, I called Keystone and they told me the entire floor was not coved by lino, but that they had pieced, the part in front of the sink, the closet and water closet.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:52 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I have a tear in my kitchen, they were going to cut it and do the quarterround in mine. Must be a factory suggested fix. I opted to repair it myself, they got me the linoleum.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:21 AM   #5
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Hello gang,

At work, whenever I have to deal with a lino issue and it needs to be replaced, the common procedure is to cut the lino at the walls and around the cabinets. That piece is used then as a template to cut the new piece.

Glue gets applied around heating register openings and the lino gets stapled in place next to walls and cabinet kick boards. At that point, the quarter-round is installed to cover the the staple heads for a nicer look to the finish.

This and what some of you are discribing is the industry standard for replacing lino.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 05:35 AM   #6
vaf2314
Established Member

M.O.C. #7413
Thanks to all,

Mike, I too have heard that the lino goes wall to wall and everything is puu on top of that. sorry i have no first hand experience with that.

Ozz, Did you perform a seam seal type of fix or did you replace the whole floor?

MIMF, thanks i was wondering how the seam would get sealed if they opted for this method.

I talked with the service writer and he is going to ask the tech. I am curious as to how this will look with the 1/4 round if that option is taken.

again thanks to all

Vince
Old 09-08-2007, 06:12 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I have yet to complete my job, I plan on a sectional repair. Cut a outline on the pattern and replace only the damaged area.
It is not glued where mine tore. (like Dale said, only around the registers.)
Old 09-08-2007, 07:27 AM   #8
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
When our trailer was delivered to the dealer, they found there was a damaged area on the vinyl flooring, that they would have to get fixed before it was ready for delivery. I know they brought in a fellow who specializes in that work. To this day, I have never been able to figure out where they made the repair. So, for a small cut like you describe, I would try to find a vinyl repair guy, and get them to use his services. I would not really care for the quarter round solution.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 07:45 AM   #9
vaf2314
Established Member

M.O.C. #7413
Ozz,

thanks for the input. sounds like the way they fix these is to cut out the section to the cabinet base as MIMF said. then use the 1/4 round to cover the staples and glue. my only concern about this now is the looks. as far as the other method of removing the lino wall to wall. well you know the old adage. "if it is not broke don't mess with it" well that part scares me if they would lift all the cabinets out including the stove and fridge. I am not saying they wouldn't do a good job and ensure everything was correct. it is just that unknown.

OntMont,

I may just try that approach. I am assuming that the repair was made on your current 2005 trailer. I was concerned about the seam giving way again with all the flexing the trailer would be under. sounds good after 2+ years under that type of repair.

thanks again

Vince

Old 09-10-2007, 09:04 AM   #10
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Had this problem with our 06 *******, it was cut at the heater outlet in the bath area. The dealer had somone come in & seal it. That lasted about a month & the sealer fell out. I took the heater vent cover off & found this:

The flooring was never glued to the sub floor..

I reglued the flooring & tacked it down under the vent to prevent it from moving..

Went to AutoZone & bought a vinyl repair kit for about $6...

I mixed up the color & applied it to the cut...

Using a heat gun or hair dryer, I cured the vinyl..NO more problems & you can't even see where it was done..Fixed for life..

Lambchop
Propective Montana Owner
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:13 PM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good info. Lambchop. Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:21 PM   #12
vaf2314
Established Member

M.O.C. #7413
Lambchop,

thanks i will give that a try.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:25 AM   #13
COPINMI
Established Member

M.O.C. #5945
Send a message via Yahoo to COPINMI
I had a "knife get away during manufacturing" also but mine is in the middle of the bedroom floor next to the heat vent. Runs for about 3 inches and not near any walls. I discovered it when the unit came out of storage this year when we noticed the cut has started to curl. Contacted the dealer who contacted Keystone and all I got was a "sorry, you're out of warranty". BTW, it was out of warranty less than a month.
COPINMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:17 PM   #14
vaf2314
Established Member

M.O.C. #7413
Copinmi,

I have started the process of the repairing this the way lambchop indicated earlier. so far everything is looking good. I am waiting the 4 hours for the sealer to cure before applying the color. I will let you know how it turns out.

Just completed the repair using the vinyl reair kit from an autoparts store. Glad to say that I cannot even tell there was a cut in the lino. I will say it takes a ton of patience though.......

Vince