Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Planing again ?

We are trying to look at going though albuquerque on 9/30 to 10/2 maybe watch the ballons take off one AM. anyone know of a CG we are having a hard time everywhere will be full. may have to change my plans. I have been going over RV park reviews.com but nothing yet.
Bobby

scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:34 AM   #2
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
My advice? Wait until next year!! Seriously, there is a campground on a hill actually over looking the balloon grounds, but as you say it is too late to get in there now. Can't remember the name of it, but I am sure you can google it. THAT would be the absolute best place to stay for the fiesta. We were there last year with a group, not RVing, and I remember looking up at the big windows of a 5er overlooking the grounds and saying to my self "it don't get no better than that". If yo udo find a place to stay, get to the fiesta grounds about 5 AM. (They have coffee and food stuff available) Traffic is horrific (We arrived in a bus, so no problem), but the end certainly justifies anything you have to do to get there! Hope you make it!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:51 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by washley1

My advice? Wait until next year!! Seriously, there is a campground on a hill actually over looking the balloon grounds, but as you say it is too late to get in there now. Can't remember the name of it, but I am sure you can google it. THAT would be the absolute best place to stay for the fiesta. We were there last year with a group, not RVing, and I remember looking up at the big windows of a 5er overlooking the grounds and saying to my self "it don't get no better than that". If yo udo find a place to stay, get to the fiesta grounds about 5 AM. (They have coffee and food stuff available) Traffic is horrific (We arrived in a bus, so no problem), but the end certainly justifies anything you have to do to get there! Hope you make it!
Yep, we stayed there. Until a few days before the Festival, then they kicked us out. Had sites reserved two and three years in advance.
It will be tough Bobbie.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:13 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
At this time you probably need to find a location farther out of town, then drive in. With the festival starting on Oct 1 - Oct 10. I do know the activities start very early in the morning. The mass launch occurs around 7:00 on Oct 1 so get there early!!! Find out where the shuttle locations are and use those. You might want to be there at the shuttle parking lots at 5 to 5:30 am unless you don't mind the crowds being there a little later.

If you don't want to be onsite, you might want to research alternate areas to be. Since there are so many balloons and they are a good size, you might not have to be right there. The town is flat and you'll be able to watch the ascents from lots of places. Don't forget to bring plenty of coffee and snacks. The whole town is so crowded during that week.

However, I wonder how much the economy will diminish the balloners? Nevertheless, it's a sight to behold.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Bobby,
Try the ABQ Central KOA, it's gonna cost you but a short drive west on Tramway and your at the park. Lived in Abq for 11 years and worked parking at the park for 5 years as a fundraiser for our Chiefs Group. I guess it was fun!!! The ballons are always a sight.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Thanks guys I am still looking and have cked as far as 40 miles. Boy it must be worth the trip. I have a cg that told me to call back for canselations in cedar crest nm. Mike I will call the koa I may have already don't know. This started out as fun but getting up at 4am to see anything but food is not good for me LOL.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:39 AM   #7
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by scductman

Thanks guys I am still looking and have cked as far as 40 miles. Boy it must be worth the trip. I have a cg that told me to call back for cancellations in cedar crest nm. Mike I will call the koa I may have already don't know. This started out as fun but getting up at 4am to see anything but food is not good for me LOL.
Bobby
We live 180 miles away and make the trip every year. Hands down the best place to be is in the official fiesta rv camping area. There are free shuttle buses that take you to the park to be right with the balloons. Given "normal" weather air flow a condition that they call the Albuquerque Box exists. Low level carries the balloon right over the campground (low enough to talk to the folks in the gondola), they gain elevation and the airflow is reversed. They go back towards the launch site. Point being hundreds of balloons flying and they stay right over you. Landing around you. A great time. I can't recommend anything more that we have done that rivals this event. Reservations online are still indicating openings. We camp in the dry area. Potable water and dump trucks run all day to keep you going. Electric hookups are also available.
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #8
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
I've just successfully completed my dry camping reservation for the first 3 nights of the event. Still reservations available at this time.
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote