Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2016, 01:16 PM   #1
joe1047
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13901
More heat in bathroom

Hello to all, i have a 2014, 3625RE Montana. Can I ad a duct to the bathroom for more heat? The one duct isn't doing it , it is very cold in there compared to the rest of the camper. Has anyone ever ever added a duct and if so how did you do it? Thank you

joe1047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:42 PM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
The issue really is 'where a hole can be made in the bathroom that doesn't weaken the floor. I have the small round vent next to the toilet and that was the worse place keystone could have put a hole. What I am thinking of is to see if I can add one underneath the vanity and have a plywood box over the hole so that the air is directed out the front towards the toilet. Means I have to knock out the 1/8" plywood on the lower front of the vanity, but seems to be the best place for one. Plywood box for turning air means I don't lose much in way of storage under there. Just have to look at it from the passthrough to see what I can do. And this will allow me to epoxy a support under the current hole and add a plug to get back full strength to the floor for the toilet. I sort of prefer that my toilet doesn't end up in the passthrough if the floor was to give way when I am sitting on it. John
Old 10-12-2016, 03:05 PM   #3
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I do believe Irlpguy (ED) has done a mod for more vents up there ya might want to PM him ....... HEY ED WAKE UP ARE YOU OUT THERE????
Old 10-12-2016, 03:06 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Joe, before adding another vent hole and vent you might want to open up the basement wall and see if there is truly a vent pipe going to the bathroom vent or if there is if it is actually connected to the main duct from the furnace. I've heard of some units where the duct to the bathroom vent was either never installed or came loose from one of the ends thus not letting any air go into the bathroom.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:28 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Times 2 on what Rondo says. On our rig it's just an AC type hose and I helpped a guy with a similar problem on an SOB. When we opened his basement wall it looked like someone had stepped on it so hardly any air when thru.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:53 PM   #6
Mr Pachu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17922
We leave the door to our bathroom open in our 2015 3790RD when the furnace is running as it's the warmest spot in the trailer. No problem with heat in there.
Mr Pachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:11 PM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
My bathroom vent sounds like a jet exhaust and will cook you once I removed the basement wall and attached the hose to the furnace. Definitely do as the others suggest and check the flex hose to ensure it is connected at both ends.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:52 AM   #8
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
when the heat is on, in our toilet room, i usually cover the vent since it is always the warmest room.

another option is for you to travel in only the warm states:-)
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:11 AM   #9
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
X-whatever on our bathroom being the warmest room. X-also on you've probably got a duct that fell off the vent or was never installed.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:04 PM   #10
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Well I am not sleeping, just not on the forum so far this morning.
I added a register to my shower area because it was really cold in there when both the bedroom and door to living area were closed. The round vent in the bathroom screamed like a banshee and did not provide sufficient heat. This round vent is fed from the back of the furnace with a 2" flex hose and if you are getting no heat the hose may have fallen off.
You really need to open up the wall into that area of the unit and see where the venting runs, in my 3402RL the same vent that runs through to the storage area also runs back to the wall between the bathroom and kitchen area and is fed with a 4" flex hose. We found it way too hot in the bedroom so I blocked off a portion of that register and added the one shown in the picture. I have cut down the heat to the bedroom and provided plenty of heat to the shower area. One of the better mods I have done. Here is the picture showing the added register.

Pretty simple mod but you have to know where you can make the hole.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:11 PM   #11
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Just thought I would add this picture of the hoses from the back of the furnace in my unit. One small one feeds the toilet vent, the other small one just goes into the tank area for "4 season heating of the tank area"..right... The 4" feeds the vent that I described in my last post and it is that vent that I cut the hole and added the register. The floor registers in the kitchen and living area are fed from the bottom of the furnace.

Old 10-13-2016, 12:27 PM   #12
joe1047
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13901
thank you to all, I will check the hoses in the basement first. if it is ok, can I cut a hole in the main heating tunnel that runs under the floor to heat the whole camper? can I ad a 3" feed pipe from that tunnel to a new register in the bathroom floor?
Old 10-13-2016, 02:08 PM   #13
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
The metal duct only runs from 12" behind the rearmost living room floor vent to the bottom of the furnace. This metal duct does not supply heated air to the whole trailer. Bedroom, bathroom, and underbelly are all via aluminum flexible tubing. If there is somewhere hidden that you can access the duct, you would have to cut through flooring to get to it, then have a custom sheet metal duct boot made to seal the duct connection. Much easier to add to back of furnace. There should be spare punchout there to do the addition. John
Old 10-13-2016, 07:39 PM   #14
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by joe1047

thank you to all, I will check the hoses in the basement first. if it is ok, can I cut a hole in the main heating tunnel that runs under the floor to heat the whole camper? can I ad a 3" feed pipe from that tunnel to a new register in the bathroom floor?
Joe it may be that your heat ducting is different than mine, however the register I added in my bathroom was cut through the floor and through the duct that feeds the bedroom via a duct that is between the aluminum frame in the basement below the bedroom. On my 3402RL that same duct runs under the bathroom and is fed by a 4" hose from the back of the furnace. Doing it the way I did you do not have to add anything, just a register over the hole cut in the floor and ducting.
I would advise you to open up that area of your unit and determine if that duct runs under your bathroom as well, if it does then the same method that I used you could also use.
Take a close look at the last picture I posted and you can see the duct I am talking about.

I actually had a vent made to do as you are thinking but when I found that I could access the ducting already there it was much easier and no added piping needed.

Good luck with the project, let us know what you find in there.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:06 AM   #15
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I guess we were lucky with our 3725RL. I simply placed a high quality ceramic heater in the basement when the temps got low. It kept the bathroom nice and warm, especially the floor. It was like having heated tile in the stick-n-bricks bathroom.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:25 AM   #16
Petmoose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12532
Our 3582 bath is laid out like Iripguy. We use a small electric heater that allows us to set it in the different spaces with the doors closed. If you're dry camping then this is not s good solution however the furnace uses a lot of propane.
Petmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:43 AM   #17
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
My bathroom in my HC 375 FL freezes in summer and roasts in winter. It does not need more airflow either way. The ducts in the basement are flexible dryer duct non insulated hoses. Change them to insulated 4 inch ducts and plug all the holes letting in daylight to the basement. I also added adjustable floor vents so I can adjust the coach airflow. There are no extra vent holes in my Heater as all are used since it is mounted vertically in the basement.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:18 PM   #18
joe1047
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13901
Hello again, I took off the panel to the heater in the basement, there is a 4"" flexible pipe going to the tunnel that feeds the heat to the whole camper , a 2" pipe going to the bathroom, and a 2" pipe going to the under belly for the tanks. What do you think of this idea, if I take off the 2" pipe that goes to the bathroom and change it to a 4" pipe.
I would need the 4" piece that goes into the furnace and a 4" flexible pipe and change the floor vent to a 4" one. Do you think that would work?
Old 10-17-2016, 05:42 PM   #19
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by joe1047

Hello again, I took off the panel to the heater in the basement, there is a 4"" flexible pipe going to the tunnel that feeds the heat to the whole camper , a 2" pipe going to the bathroom, and a 2" pipe going to the under belly for the tanks. What do you think of this idea, if I take off the 2" pipe that goes to the bathroom and change it to a 4" pipe.
I would need the 4" piece that goes into the furnace and a 4" flexible pipe and change the floor vent to a 4" one. Do you think that would work?
Maybe try leaving the bathroom
door open? If the furnace blower is "filling" the bathroom with air, it will diminish register flow. I realize the door has a gap at the bottom, but probably not enough.

Mark
Old 10-18-2016, 03:22 AM   #20
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Lowes and Hoe Depot sell the 4 in insulated hose in 25 foot lengths. The twist in flange attachment for the furnace will need to come from an RV dealer.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote