Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2015, 04:35 PM   #1
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
First weekend out and interesting issue

Well I got the call from the wife Friday morning as I sat in a chair enjoying a coffee after a great nights sleep... "the water isn't draining in the shower" !!!!!

Of course I yelled back ..well shut off the water and I'll be there when the coffee is done.

Sure enough no water going down the drain, climbed into the front end. grabbed the batt drill and screw bit and took off the cover and I'm looking at a pipe line from the shower to the tank with no trap in it which was real confusing.

Put on my glasses and low and behold there is a marking on the pipe saying this a no trap trap or something like that. WTF I says to myself as I scratch my head.

Climb back out of the front end grab a big bowl and back in I go, loosen off the fittings and drain the line of water throwing bowl after bowl out the door opening.

Take apart the fittings and pull the dang thing out and there appears to be a condom sort of thing in it, after a couple minutes of inspection I discover that the bladder was in backwards and all I did was push it to the way it should have been installed, put it back in line and walla it works fine......... the missus finishs her shower and I'm a hero so to speak.

So if you run into similar with a new trailer first time out check there first, pays off to have had a Stationary Engineering background and experience...

On a good note no other issues and everything else worked flawlessly.......

New air ride bags going into truck tomorrow, off for a two week trip on Friday..... can't wait

speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:59 PM   #2
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Congrats on being able to fix. That could have required a month at the dealer for some less handy folks.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:01 AM   #3
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I had a similar problem with the exception the unit was installed correctly but the vent system was plugged and the barometric pressure change had turned the bladder wrong side out. When I looked in the drain I could see it and thought it was a paper towel or something do I get pair of nose pliers out and removed it.

When I got my eye sight back I figured that what I had was a piece of rubber.

It turned out the vent had never been hooked up. Keystone would not pay for the trap.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:10 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Good catch on the backwards install.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:41 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Our problem with that little piece of equipment was hair getting caught in it over time. Had to replace the first one due to the other things adhering to the bladder due to the hair slow down. Now we use one of those little screens in the bathroom. Have to clean it a lot, but much easier to deal with.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:12 AM   #6
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
When something goes wrong with the rig (small things like a LED light goes out or a pice of trim falls off) DW always says it's still under warranty let the dealer fix it. Why should you fix it? But if I were to take it to a dealer it would sit there for months waiting on parts or for their people to get arround to dealing with it. I do have a LED light out now went to my local dealer, they got Keystone to warrant it and it will be shipped to them. That was three weeks ago and we are still waiting. The good news is the dealer said he will not require I bring in the rig there for them to do the installation even though that is what Keystone wants him to do. What I am trying to say is if I can fix it myself I will, I did not buy this rig to sit at a dealer waiting to be fixed. JMHO.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:21 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Also, many times I prefer to have something fixed the way I want it fixed.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:49 PM   #8
captl27
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16077
I had a problem with the shower drain when I bought my new trailer. We had taken it out for a shake down while we were waiting for slide toppers to come in. We were bring it back anyway so reported the problem. They had to replace some piping to fix the issue.
captl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:34 PM   #9
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
I don't know why you would have to buy a new trap due to hair as this unit that is installed is a simple bladder that can be easily cleaned out and is removed from the system in about oh I would say under 5 minutes including climbing into the front end and using your screw driver (red Robertson or phillips) removing the and taking the 4 screws holding the big white plastic cover, taking it off and then loosing off the two connections as this unit is essentially a union. You can then just clean it out and re-install ensuring the flow arrow is in the right direction and the bladder is same,

I can see how air pressure while going down the road could possibly suck the bladder into the a crimped up ball that prevents flow so if anyone is having trouble with the shower drain I would check there first and save some time.

After 30 plus years of rving I expect to be fixing the little stuff constantly and taking it to the dealer for every little thing is in my view counter productive as you learn little to nothing and end up peeing them off. I save the dealer for bigger stuff and then I expect and demand quality work and good service. Otherwise it would be the last purchase I ever make at the location.....

I think that is a reasonable expectation after shelling out the coin... my local dealers were always awesome however as there are no Montana dealers in the area I had to drive 3 hrs away so time will tell......
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote