Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2019, 11:30 AM   #1
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I need a better horn

Read that as a LOUDER horn.
Yesterday, leaf peepers were out on droves on I-87 (Adirondack Northway). Not once, not twice but three times at entry ramps I had to lay on the brakes pretty heavily (love those discs on our 5er) along with the horn while some numbskull s-l-o-o-o-l-y accelerates almost up to highway speed. I can't pull left as the traffic is too heavy. This happens all too often on this highway

OK, with that said, this interstate is the main North - South highway between New York City and Montreal plus the Adirondacks and also much of northern Vermont. This means we get all kinds of not always great drivers. I've lusted after a really loud horn that can maybe, just possibly bring these characters back to reality.

My Ford has very loud horns to begin with but am thinking a good aftermarket horn/train/air might work. Do any of you folks have a suggestion. I don't want long cab mounted trumpets, just something that's reasonably priced plus reliable.

2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:06 PM   #2
LoneStar
Established Member

M.O.C. #24911
if you’re willing to mount the little compresssor and horns (under hood), there are a lot of (good and LOUD) options—but it sounds like you’re wanting to avoid that (me, too)

I farm & ranch for a living. When we feed our cattle, we call them into the feed ground(s) by honking the horn. My grandfather started this many, many years ago; and as you know, tradition tends to run deep.
There are neighbors that use sirens & other gadgets to call their cattle, but we still use the horn.. we used to go thru a LOT of OEM-type horns, as we use it a LOT on feed days. We still wear a horn out far more quickly than the ‘average consumer’, but oh well... our cattle know it’s me

I found this to be a good replacement, and it’s ~considerably~ louder than OEM. I’ve found it to last a good while, especially under the paces we put it through:
https://www.amazon.com/Wolo-419-Bad-...161809&sr=8-11
Old 10-15-2019, 12:06 PM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Thats what i want too!!!
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:15 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Wont work. They would be in a mess and would haft to clean their shorts.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:55 PM   #5
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
https://www.google.com/search?client...horn+for+truck

there you go
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:03 PM   #6
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
will know

After a couple near misses from the brain dead ones with the little hair knot on top of their heads driving the roller skate car their father bought for them. I went out and bought these, The Wolo Siberian Exspress train horn

There is no mistake they pissed you off.
Kit is sold with compressor else where.https://www.amazon.com/Wolo-847-Sibe...172757&sr=8-16
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:04 PM   #7
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Horns seem to be an East Coast thing. Can't remember the last time I used mine.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:25 PM   #8
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Thanks guys.

WOLO is the name my CRS brain couldn't come up with. Now all I need to do is to see where one would fit since under the hood is probably out with lots of diesel enginge stuffing that area. Prices seem to go from not much to lots from what I can see, quick look on Amazon.

As far as having to clean up some old(er) geezer's mess. Not my problem - Depends, maybe needs to be on someones shopping list.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:34 PM   #9
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Here you go. 150db and an air compressor for your tires.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VK5CLY6...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
prndl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:34 PM   #10
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Some mount them under the frame in an open area. One mentioned installing in a fender well.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:26 PM   #11
penra
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24321
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Read that as a LOUDER horn.
Yesterday, leaf peepers were out on droves on I-87 (Adirondack Northway). Not once, not twice but three times at entry ramps I had to lay on the brakes pretty heavily (love those discs on our 5er) along with the horn while some numbskull s-l-o-o-o-l-y accelerates almost up to highway speed. I can't pull left as the traffic is too heavy. This happens all too often on this highway

OK, with that said, this interstate is the main North - South highway between New York City and Montreal plus the Adirondacks and also much of northern Vermont. This means we get all kinds of not always great drivers. I've lusted after a really loud horn that can maybe, just possibly bring these characters back to reality.

My Ford has very loud horns to begin with but am thinking a good aftermarket horn/train/air might work. Do any of you folks have a suggestion. I don't want long cab mounted trumpets, just something that's reasonably priced plus reliable.
Oh my word, YES! My horn is way too quiet for a big A$$ truck!

2020 Montana Legacy 3120RL
2019 GMC 3500HD Denali SRW LB; B&W Companion Pucks
penra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:09 AM   #12
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
On the pricey side, but I have Hadley's mounted up under the passenger side of the truck. Took some doing, but only had the drill one small hole in the dash, so I can turn them on or off. They are wired into the main truck horn.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:09 AM   #13
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
A loud blaring horn is more likely to have the opposite of the desired affect, startling the driver and causing him/her to let off the throttle and hit the brake rather than to speed up. Making the situation even worse.
Better idea. Accept the fact that everyone drives differently, look far ahead and anticipate the slower drivers, let them go their way, and then go yours. Much better for your (and their) peace of mind, reduced stress, and overall happiness. Relax, slow down, and enjoy life to the fullest while you can for you too will be an old geezer before you know it.

Don't sweat the small stuff. And that definitely is small stuff.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:51 AM   #14
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731

BadBoy horn at Harbor freight on both my trucks.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:05 AM   #15
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleback View Post

BadBoy horn at Harbor freight on both my trucks.
Is that air powered? How does it sound?
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:15 AM   #16
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
A loud blaring horn is more likely to have the opposite of the desired affect, startling the driver and causing him/her to let off the throttle and hit the brake rather than to speed up. Making the situation even worse.
Better idea. Accept the fact that everyone drives differently, look far ahead and anticipate the slower drivers, let them go their way, and then go yours. Much better for your (and their) peace of mind, reduced stress, and overall happiness. Relax, slow down, and enjoy life to the fullest while you can for you too will be an old geezer before you know it.

I was thinking the same thing; as much as I would like to blast an air horn sometimes. I know when I hear one it scares the heck out of me.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:44 AM   #17
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
I was thinking the same thing; as much as I would like to blast an air horn sometimes. I know when I hear one it scares the heck out of me.

Guys, go back and reread what I said in my OP. This has nothing to do with the slowpokes already on the road but to do with those that are day dreaming/texting/phoning/discussing the weather with your companion/recovering from last night while slowly wandering down an interstate entrance ramp and not merging at some reasonable speed, not 20-40 mph slower then the traffic already moving.

As far as anticipation - been doing this with a 5er since 1976 with, to date, zero fender benders so am well versed on that.

Those entry ramps in eastern Upstate NY and New England - well let's just say that way too many have obscured sight lines that don't give you much reaction time. While my speed is usually well under the speed limit, even disc brakes on all eight possible places still wont stop over 20,000 pounds very fast. That speed - I used to haul at 65-68 mph. With today's crop of drivers, I've reduced it to probably 55-60 and usually stay in the RH lane, of course complicating the issue

My desire for a louder horn is to bring awareness to those that are NOT paying attention entering my space on the road, not to blast them off the road..
Old 10-16-2019, 11:25 AM   #18
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I fully understand the annoyance at certain drivers. But blowing a horn will do nothing to change them. And does it really make you feel better? Of just fume more? For every one you blow the horn at and call a moron, idiot, stupid SOB, ..... that person is saying who is that moron, idiot, stupid SOB, .... blowing his horn.

I am sure you seen the opening lines of the Serenity Prayer.

God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:56 AM   #19
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
Is that air powered? How does it sound?

It is air powered, It is loud, it has a medium to high tone duel trumpet. I mounted it in the front behind the grill pointing out and use the wires from my current horns after unhooking them. cost around thirty dollars with 20% discount coupon. you will not be disappointed considering the price. i was thinking about using two side by side for even more blast, but was not sure if my relay could handle the load so i stayed with one.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 04:20 PM   #20
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
while some numbskull s-l-o-o-o-l-y accelerates almost up to highway speed.

So basically you want a horn loud enough that you blast them into the next county. Easier to do back east.

Blasting a train horn from behind will cause a braking reflex from me. So when you blow you may also want to stomp on your disk brakes. I bet I am not alone in that reflex.
Also many states allow one to call and report aggressive drivers. A train horn may fall into that category.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote