Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2007, 06:16 AM   #1
Backwoods
Established Member

M.O.C. #7498
Sub Frame lift kit on trailer

Yes I know ! ( trailer SUB FRAME LIFT 4" )but it is needed. I have a lifted 4" Ford F2504x4 its a 1999.5 Diesel. with slightly larger tires. It's paid for so the reason for lifting the trailer is cheaper than buying another used rig/trade/new rig. etc.
I would like to know your experiences and how the modification was done properly to make sure my local place is doing me right.

Make Montana Mountaineer 342PHT, year 2007 new.

needed 4" sub frame lift.

I would like to know what can be done during the sub frame lift to help strengthen the Spring hangers and where the new sub frame meets the origonal frame, not just the basic 4" square tubing welded to the frame, but additonal strengthening to that process. mabyee some re-enforced 45degree angle pieces ? I dont need lecture on weight issues already thought that one through. We got a good deal on the 5er, so thus the reason to lift it up. the axles are already flipped. Sub frame lift will cost up to $1K to install, but is chaper than new axles,springs, or a different trailer/truck. 4" wont push me to heigh over all on 13" top clearance so now it will be 13".4' the truck will handle it just fine.

P.S. this is going to be done on 8/22/07
need to chat give me a land line
503-880-3957
Much appreciated
BJ

Backwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:21 PM   #2
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
I have a friend with an older 5er that has the axles flipped and a 8' section of frame welded to the stock frame. I think it is either 6" or 8" of lift. He has more sway with the added height and had a spring break on a vacation trip. He went with heavier springs on all four corners so it would sway less and be stronger.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:04 AM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
This isn't a lecture, but ...... some sweet deals are like flowers ... after a few days they pretty much just stink. That 37' chunk of steel, wood, and fiberglass is going to handle like a ship with no ballast no matter what you do. What's the frame modification going to do to your warranty ... or will there be any warranty? With your lifted TV did you consider a TT instead? Sorry, I realise this didn't come close to answering your question, but I'm not good at beating around the bush.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:00 AM   #4
Backwoods
Established Member

M.O.C. #7498
Actually when doing the measuremens the Queen sleeper was at 60 or 61 with the 5er level and my truck bed was at 59 to 59 1/2. Given that the truck should squat say 1" that still did not give me much leadway. But after I finally got my hitch installed check this out. I have like 7" mabye 8" of clearance, even at the lowest point ***with out lifting the trailer.*** So Ither I will just install 2" blocks on the spring and axle to level the trailer or just leave it as it is. If I leave it as is then only a small change of rubbing the bumper during some driveway set ups like the one I have at home, and I would not even call that scrathing the bumper. So I think I should be good. Heres a pict of my set up. I dont know how to add one to my signature yet. I am very pleased so far. The ride was exceptionl, and my New Curt Q5 20K hitch and slider worked great.
pict: http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...L-100_3840.JPG
Pict: http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...6/100_3846.JPG
Pict: http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...6/100_3847.JPG
Pict: http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...6/100_3843.JPG
Backwoods is offline   Reply With Quote