Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2009, 02:25 PM   #21
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Forgot to mention my six pack abs when I brought up the tiny little dogs.

pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:27 PM   #22
greenenergy

M.O.C. #9857
Hi Desert Rv'er--

It might be nice if you signed off with your name so everyone can know your identity. Your post is repeating what has already been voiced.

I was hoping more Ford 250 users would come forward and few have to share their findings for the decisions they made on Ford since many on here have Ford 250's.

It's common knowledge (and from Ford's 2008 ADVANCE TOWING GUIDE) see below url link

http://www.a1warriortrailers.com/pdf...-tow-guide.pdf

that the 2008 Ford 250 Regular Cab with 6.4 diesel with 3.73 axle ratio with (4 x 2) has 23,000 GCWR and a SVW of 16,100 and a GVWR of aprox 10,000.

The Ford 250 3/4 ton truck has almost the same tow capacity of the one ton GMC 3500 Reg Cab Long Box 4WD, dual rear wheels with axle ratio of 3.73 of 16,500 maximum towing capacity.

The GMC 3500 King Pin weight capacity/and GVWR is much better that the Ford 250 but the 2010 Montana 3665 RE Im looking at has maximum wet weight of 15,400 and a dry hitch weight of 2045.

And so with just me an my lil 4 pound Chihuahua with no real weight makes the Ford 250 possible but 350 with a tow boss 4:30 package is much better choice-- and the Ford 350 with Dually and tow boss package 4 x 2 increases the DRW to 18,000 --- or with the Ford 450 dually with 4:30 rear end can 5th wheel tow 20,500.

Now if I could just afford the Ford 450....my friends say I need to find a girl friend with a 1 ton truck----nice dreaming I'd say, but I'm still looking for a good deal on a 2007/2008 Ford 350 dually w/ 4:30 axle ratio.

Rod
greenenergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:31 PM   #23
greenenergy

M.O.C. #9857
Hi Desert Rv'er--

It might be nice if you signed off with your name so everyone can know your identity. Your post is repeating what has already been voiced.

I was hoping more Ford 250 users would come forward and few have to share their findings for the decisions they made on Ford since many on here have Ford 250's.

It's common knowledge (and from Ford's 2008 ADVANCE TOWING GUIDE) see below url link

http://www.a1warriortrailers.com/pdf...-tow-guide.pdf

that the 2008 Ford 250 Regular Cab with 6.4 diesel with 3.73 axle ratio with (4 x 2) has 23,000 GCWR and a SVW of 16,100 and a GVWR of aprox 10,000.

The Ford 250 3/4 ton truck has almost the same tow capacity of the one ton GMC 3500 Reg Cab Long Box 4WD, dual rear wheels with axle ratio of 3.73 of 16,500 maximum towing capacity.

The GMC 3500 King Pin weight capacity/and GVWR is much better that the Ford 250 but the 2010 Montana 3665 RE Im looking at has maximum wet weight of 15,400 and a dry hitch weight of 2045.

And so with just me an my lil 4 pound Chihuahua with no real weight makes the Ford 250 possible but 350 with a tow boss 4:30 package is much better choice-- and the Ford 350 with Dually and tow boss package 4 x 2 increases the DRW to 18,000 --- or with the Ford 450 dually with 4:30 rear end can 5th wheel tow 20,500.

Now if I could just afford the Ford 450....my friends say I need to find a girl friend with a 1 ton truck----nice dreaming I'd say, but I'm still looking for a good deal on a 2007/2008 Ford 350 dually w/ 4:30 axle ratio.

Rod
greenenergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:14 PM   #24
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Hey Rod (greenenergy) - I think you are quoting the conventional towing weight for the Truck when you mentioned 15000 lb capacity. I think you corrected this in the double post you just posted.

And another thing. Our Chihuahua weighs 5.5 lbs, but it must be cuz he's a long-hair. Maybe shaving him will save some weight.

I think so many F-250s owners don't come forward because this is an old story for many of us and with the posts so far we've covered our weight problems.

As for looking for a girlfriend with a bigger truck, DW said, "No." I kind of agree. I hear girlfriends are much more expensive to maintain.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:58 PM   #25
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Looks like you've done your homework on checking out weight ratings. I do want to point out one thing about the pin weight though. You will never see the dry weight, ever! You have two large storage areas in the front of the trailer, and unless you are unlike everyone here, these two areas will get filled with stuff. You'll be surprised how much this stuff adds up. Then add the storage area in the bedroom above the basement, including the closet, under the bed and the dresser, and the weight just keeps on getting heavier.

And I'm with Art on the girlfriend. Get a rich old uncle instead and become his favorite nephew.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:45 AM   #26
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Some suggestions:

-Ignore the "tow ratings," as stated earlier, any diesel will tow any Montana.
-Ignore anything you read on the internet regarding cargo capacity, etc. The manufacturers 'best case' those numbers...like using gas trucks for cargo capacity ratings because they do not have the heavy diesel engine...which detracts from the cargo capacity.
-Ignore any "dry weight" unless you are going to use your RV loaded as it came from the dealer...totally empty.
-Add at least 500# to the empty pin weight for a realistic PW.

The actual tow capacity is the GCWR minus the TV weight when ready to tow.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:33 AM   #27
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Does anyone know if Keystone is weighing new 5th wheels. Part of our paper work listing all model and serial numbers of our appliances there is paper work showing were our 2010 weight was taken before any water was added. Weigh was taken at each wheel and each landing gear which gives you the total weight. It then gives how much weigh can be added to get to your max weight. In our case our 5er weight is 15,465 dry weight and we can add 3,035 lbs to get to our max weight of 18,500 lbs. Again it will be the pin weight that could be a problem for the F-250. I can assure you that it doesn't take much to be over your GVWR. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:44 AM   #28
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
That might be a Mobile Suites thing or even its dealer offering. But what a great service feature! Even though as soon as you drive it off the lot you will never be that light again, hopefully it gets new owners to be more attentive and aware about their weight as things get added. There's no telling when that "just one more thing to pack" puts you over the top. When you have to worry about ordering and eating that 12 oz versus a 72 oz steak, then your rig is too heavy.

I hope the dealer recognizes that the dry weight of a Mobile Suites cannot be supported by an F-250 much less any SRW truck and provides effective discouragement. Fortunately, the half dozen or so Mobile Suites I have seen at CGs or on the road are towed by either big dually Fords, MDTs or HDTs (I haven't seen any other TV). Those are beautiful units.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:04 AM   #29
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Art, Here's a single wheel (well, sort of!) that will haul any RV you have. It's rated at 18 metric tons!

Licensing might be an issue though, and not much in the way of creature comforts!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:06 AM   #30
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Here is my 2 cents worth about a 3/4 ton pulling a larger and heavier RV regardless of brand.
Sales personal at RV dealers will tell you anything to make a sale like the salesman that sold me my 2980 RL, My old truck was a F350 DRW TD 1996 it can pull anything, of course a 3/4 ton can pull that big RV, it has the same motor as the 1 tons, but is it safe? NO. it was desined to pull and STOP a certain weight safely. for a few more dollars you can get a truck that you can design with the help of a honest dealer, with out any modifications to increese power, or air bags to lift the weight of this heavy pin weight so your lights will still be pointed on the road and not at aieplanes. as stated in another post he pulls with a 3/4 ton but cant afford a larger tow vehicle right now. I now have a new truck and new out of the box I can pull, stop, and be comfortable on a long ride and I didnt have to do anything to the truck in the way of MOD's, get in, drive and feed it fuel.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:34 AM   #31
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
LOL Tom! I looked into something like that. It's rated at 18 metric tons and has a tow rating of another 15 metric tons. The problem is that it weighs 17 metric tons and in order to tow you need to remove the body panels, the guns, all the seats except the driver's, half the wheels, every other track pad and half the fuel. Their best claim is the fact you don't need to stop for anybody cuz it can go over or through anything, so instead I opted for the F-250.

To stay on topic, I still vote that if given a chance a Monty should get no less than a 1 ton because of the ever unpredictable pin weight. But to each their own, eh?
Old 11-06-2009, 08:27 AM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Phablin.. the 5th wheel tow rating for our particular truck is listed at 15,300lbs and we were over at the first weigh in but have since lost some weight and are under that spec'. The GCVWR is 23,500lbs and we are now under that.

We know that Keystone now has scales as they weigh the camper as part of the normal routine at the service center. Said they got the scales from a now out of business RV company.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:45 PM   #33
shotgunred10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9798
We don't go far yet, but regardless of tow weights and pin weights and all that other info, I really like the extra set of tires under me when I do leave, it just feels better going down the road.
Clent
shotgunred10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:12 AM   #34
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
I am towing a 3400RL with a F250. I am also truck shopping.

My F250 was great with my 29' SOB. The 3400 is much heavier. I knew when I bought the 3400 I would have to get a bigger truck but thought I would "get by" for a few years until I was ready to purchase another truck. After pulling 4k miles with the trailer out west this summer, I will have a new truck before I make that trip again in summer of 2010. Returning home I had to put new breaks on all four corners plus new rotors in the back. Twice while using the Banks Exhaust Break I spiked the transmission temp at 250* while descending long steep grades.

Will the F250 pull the bigger trailer? Yes. Stopping is another story. Make sure you have lots of space and planned well. All hell will break loose in a quick/emergency stop. Pulling over weight not only adds stress to the truck it adds stress to the driver. The only reason a new truck is not currently in the driveway is I am too cheap to go in to debt for a new truck. Plus I knew that due to work schedule that the 3400 would sit for the most part since summer vacation (only a few short trips since vacation). The new truck fund will have the necessary funds in the next 60 days or so.

Do yourself a favor and save yourself the stress, frustration and anxiety, get the right truck for the job up front.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:51 AM   #35
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RickW

I am towing a 3400RL with a F250. I am also truck shopping.
Do yourself a favor and save yourself the stress, frustration and anxiety, get the right truck for the job up front.
Excellent advice, advice that many of us have learned the hard and expensive way!
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote