Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2007, 04:19 PM   #1
humphreytt

M.O.C. #6777
water tank

We are first time owners of a 2007 rear kitchen Mountaineer. We are having trouble getting the water tank to fill up using a garden hose. We hooked to city water on our first trip. We are going out again and will be at a place that we will need our own water. When we try to put water in, it just belches right back out. You can get some water to go in if you turn the water on real slow. We ran water for an hour and it still did not fill the tank. Any suggestions?

humphreytt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:39 PM   #2
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Sounds like the interior tubing is kinked. Don't know much about your home, but track it through in the inside and you'll probably see a carpeted box - remove this box and see if the tubing is kinked.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:29 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The kinked tube is the prime suspect.. Mine was kinked and loose on our 06 3400..look for that carpeted box inside somewhere around the intake.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:44 AM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I think my friends above are on the right track. I'll just make a small additional comment.

Many of us do not travel with a FULL fresh water tank. Most of the time I fill only to the 1/3 mark on the gauge (the ONE gauge that does work dependably--the others are useless). If I am going on a long trip and want to have some fresh water from home I may fill to the 2/3 level, but I have never filled beyond that.

I, too, have that "belching" problem about the time the tank reaches 1/3 level. I just let it "belch" and don't worry about it. That is easier for me than tacking the plumbing on the vent hose.

If this is all beside the point, just smile as you move on.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:10 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I agree with the others. It sounds like the vent hose is kinked or plugged. Next to the filler opening there may be a small hole. That hole is where the vent hose should connect. I'm assuming it's like other fw's we've had. If you can look up from underneath then you may be able to see the vent hose.

The belching and splashback is because the water going in is displacing air already in the tank. The displaced air comes out that vent hole. But, if you are putting water in at a faster rate than the vent can get the air out of the tank, then the pressure builds. That air has to go somewhere and the next place it can get out is through the filler hole. Thus the splash back or the belch.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:22 PM   #6
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Agreed, Just so you understand it should handle city water flow as I fill my fresh water tank and have no splashback until the tank is near full and it starts burping out the vent screen.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:25 AM   #7
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Couldn't humphreytt use the fill at the convenients station and open the outside fill to relieve the air pressure or visa versa? Assuming that Mountaineer's have the convenients station and the city water fill value.

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:30 AM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Humphreytt,

My guess is that you are trying to fill the fresh water tank through the hole on the ouside of your trailer. Looking in the convenience center, there is a "FILL" valve that is a toggle between the "coach" water and the other side is for filling the fresh water tank. Just flip the valve toward the 'fill' setting.

When full, the tank will burp, displace the existing air, and run water out the fill tube when full.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:24 AM   #9
crandallbradley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5044
My Mountaineer 319BHD does not have the convenience center so you probably do not either. I have access to my water intake hoses from the inside. My access is in the intertainment center lower left hand corner panel, two screws.
crandallbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:40 AM   #10
humphreytt

M.O.C. #6777
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by humphreytt

We are first time owners of a 2007 rear kitchen Mountaineer. We are having trouble getting the water tank to fill up using a garden hose. We hooked to city water on our first trip. We are going out again and will be at a place that we will need our own water. When we try to put water in, it just belches right back out. You can get some water to go in if you turn the water on real slow. We ran water for an hour and it still did not fill the tank. Any suggestions?
Thanks for all the help. We found a panel by the entertainment center that exposed the pump and the tank. The fill hose was way too long and it was creating a p trap. My husband says it looks like they attached the hose, then shoved the tank into place and never checked to see if it was correct. He shortened the hose so the water flows into the tank instead of going down to the bottom of the floor and then back up to the tank. Water goes in perfectly now. We had a great first trip out.
humphreytt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:09 AM   #11
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
I'm glad to hear that you found the cause of the problem and were able to resolve it.. Hopefully, this will help other folks with similar problems. Once again the forum provides a point in the right direction!
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote