Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2019, 10:17 AM   #1
robertwy
Established Member

M.O.C. #22770
Power Inverter

Since I'm fairly new here, this question may have been asked before. If so, I apologize.

We have a 2019 3121RL which comes with a residential refrigerator. It has a 1000 Watt inverter for power when not plugged into shore power. We have a generator so that we can charge the batteries from time to time.

I've never tried any of the other 110v outlets when not plugged into shore power. My question is, are all of the 110v outlets and appliances wired to the inverter? I know it's not large enough to run anything other than maybe the refrigerator. If I switch to a larger inverter is the wiring already done, or do I have to do something else in order for all 110 outlets to have power?

Thanks in advance for your help.

robertwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:20 PM   #2
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
I do not have a residential fridge, but I'm pretty sure your inverter only powers the fridge. You will have to install another, larger inverter if you want AC while running on battery. I would leave the OEM inverter powering the fridge in place.

On my unit, I had to do all of the wiring. I brought the AC feed out of the shore side of the transfer switch (I also have a generator) into a 50A jack and put a 50A plug on the cable coming from shore power. I ran the AC output cable from my inverter to a 30A plug.

When I want to run on inverter, I unplug the shore power cable and plug in the inverter cable using a 50A-30A pigtail so my inverter powers up both sides of the breaker panel.

I use the breaker panel to shut off the loads (air cond, microwave, etc) that I don't want to power off the inverter. That way all my internal AC system works (jacks, TV, ceiling fan, chairs, etc) off the inverter.

PS: you will need more batteries than what Keystone gave you.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:32 PM   #3
jetskier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22360
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwy View Post
I've never tried any of the other 110v outlets when not plugged into shore power. My question is, are all of the 110v outlets and appliances wired to the inverter? I know it's not large enough to run anything other than maybe the refrigerator. If I switch to a larger inverter is the wiring already done, or do I have to do something else in order for all 110 outlets to have power?

I ordered with an RV refer, but added the 265W solar/2000W inverter package. There was a 20A auto switch on the output of the inverter that switched power from the inverter and a shorepower. This dedicated 20A circuit feed an outlet on the counter next to the refer, the refer and and out let next to the TV in the bedroom. It was completely worthless.

Here's a thread with what I did to make it right and power all the outlets with the generator, shore power or the 2000W inverter. If I'm on the inverter, the refer is on gas so I have most of the capacity of the inverter for the other outlets that power the TVs, recliners and other small appliances. The 2000W inverter does run the microwave, but it does take a toll on the battery charge.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...11#post1117411
Old 01-09-2019, 04:31 PM   #4
robertwy
Established Member

M.O.C. #22770
Thanks, Jetskier. I've got some wiring to do.
robertwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:19 PM   #5
jetskier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22360
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwy View Post
Thanks, Jetskier. I've got some wiring to do.

no problem. Let me know if you have any questions. I discovered a lot of Keystone magic behind the service panels in the main compartment.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:01 PM   #6
Tricky
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23654
We also have a 2019 3121RL and was wondering do you keep Inverter turned off when connected to shore power? Or do you keep on and it automatically kicks in when disconnected from shore power? Ours has been off.
Thanks
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:32 PM   #7
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
We also have a 2019 3121RL and was wondering do you keep Inverter turned off when connected to shore power? Or do you keep on and it automatically kicks in when disconnected from shore power? Ours has been off.
Thanks
I talked to the factory....was told to leave the inverter ON anytime you plan to use the refrigerator. As you travel from campground to campground the inverter will take over the second you disconnect from shore power and go into stand-by mode the second you hook back up to shore power. Turn it OFF if you put RV in storage or anytime you do not need to use the refrigerator. When I am at home and hooked up to my 50 amp service I turn OFF the refrigerator and the inverter and also unplug the refrigerator. Hopes this helps.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:28 PM   #8
jetskier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22360
Quote:
Thanks
I have the RV fridge so I don't need it on all the time.

I bought this remote switch and mounted it on the side of the cabinet by the control panel.

Magnum CSW-RS Inverter Remote https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01DYL6M..._VnK2Cb8572MS0
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:32 AM   #9
Wicked1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21100
Quote:
Thanks
I keep Inverter on bc sometimes CG lose power so I don’t want stuff in Fridge to go bad, even when connected at home we let the Inverter stay on
Wicked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:31 PM   #10
Tricky
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23654
Thanks for info. Appreciate it
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:22 PM   #11
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Just a comment on storage - make CERTAIN you open the doors of your refer otherwise you'll have lots of nasty stuff when you come back.

Also, a 1kw inverter only provides a max of 10 amps AC power. If you want to power much of anything else you need a minimum of a 1.5 to 2kw inverter. That's not addressing your batteries. Keystone never gave you enough battery power to run that refer more than a few hours (travel time only from full hook up to full hook up) . Two seriously heavy duty 6v ones will barely do if you're going to even turn on a radio or light.

While some go for almost megawatts of solar and battery, I installed 400 watts of solar and four Trojan T105s five years ago. (Price for AGMs was WAY too much then.) The whole system still works very well and runs what I need. When I need AC power, I've a 2.4kw inverter that will run my microwave and 40" TV just fine. If it's hot and I need air conditioning, then I'll use a generator. It's all about power management.