Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2011, 06:10 AM   #1
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Montana Newbie Questions

New 2011 3400RL. I should have listened better during the walk thru! Besides, rather hear it from folks using these campers everyday. What is the "water fresh fill" knob for? I assume you turn it on to fill the fresh water tank using the fresh water inlet and off when using city water. Also to make sure, the water heater "bypass" is turned "off" when you want the heater to fill with water? The winterize "on" means you can pump antifreeze through the winterizing inlet from a jug of antifreeze? The rig was winterized by the dealer and I am just checking everything out before the first trip. Please add any precautions and tricks you have learned using this control panel. Thanks,

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:41 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Fresh water fill allows you to fill your on-boad fresh water tank using the city water connection. Water heater bypass is used when you are winterizing with RV antifreeze to keep from filling the hot water tank with antifreeze. Water heater bypass should be off at all other times. Winterize on is used in conjunction with the onboard fresh water pump to winterize with RV antifreeze just as you described. Always make sure that the hot water tank is full of water before turning it on with electric. It will fry the element in a matter of seconds. Hope this helps.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:06 AM   #3
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Fresh water fill allows you to fill your on-boad fresh water tank using the city water connection. Water heater bypass is used when you are winterizing with RV antifreeze to keep from filling the hot water tank with antifreeze. Water heater bypass should be off at all other times. Winterize on is used in conjunction with the onboard fresh water pump to winterize with RV antifreeze just as you described. Always make sure that the hot water tank is full of water before turning it on with electric. It will fry the element in a matter of seconds. Hope this helps.
Bingo
Agree with Bingo...know from experience that having the water heater on w/o water in it only takes seconds for the heating element to burn itself out. We always double check to make sure our water heater is turned off until we know it is full of water...then we check again! Experience can be a hard teacher.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:29 AM   #4
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Thanks for the info. I assume you can still fill the fresh tank the 'old' way by hose into the fresh water inlet. Another question - where are the gray tank dump handles? I see one in the 'control' panel in the basement next to the black tank handle. I assume there are two according to the panel inside the Montana? There is a dump handle on the frame in front of the wheels on the same side as the panel and assume this is the second gray tank. Additionally, there is a drain valve near the back underneath the camper and that is the fresh water tank drain? I assume there are only two 'low point' drains (blue and red for cold/hot water)in the same panel as the water connections. Are there any more such as the city water drain? Our SOB had a city water low point drain. We took notes when purchasing our first camper and didn't this time thinking we were now pros. That didn't pan out! Questions may seem dumb but want to know all we can before taking off for Tucson!

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 01-16-2011, 08:41 AM   #5
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
No dumb questions on this forum however you may receive a few dumb answers. So far on the above entry you are correct on the gray tank valves and low point drains. We don't have city water low point drains. Another thing in your control compartment is a connection for the black tank flush. Make sure you are present and don't overflo your black tank when flushing.
Keep those questions coming, you have a lot of 3400 owners on here that had done most everything imageable.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:43 AM   #6
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I’m not that familiar with the 3400 that well but I’m fairly certain you are correct in that you can fill it the old fashioned way. One word of caution though, I would assume you probably already know this by being previous campers but that is to be sure and use a non-toxic water hose. There are no dumb questions; don’t hesitate to ask any you may have. I think you’ll find the Montana is really nice, hope you get many years of happy camping from it.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:08 AM   #7
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Noticed the front storage compartment (landing gear,slide motors and battery area) has open narrow "slates" in bottom for I assume ventilation? What do you store there and does it allow moisture and road dirt inside the storage area?
The dealer had the two recliners with the backs to the back window for transport. The straps were not in place for the trip home from the dealer. We have a concern with this as they may rub against the day/night shades which are problem enough without any help from the recliners. The shades were down. I guess you can raise the shades but we try not to move the shades unless you have to. The recliners don't seem to lock into place and "rock" or slide some on their base. So, what is the best method and position to lock and strap down the recliners for traveling? Thanks again.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 01-16-2011, 12:00 PM   #8
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Before we replaced the rocker/recliners in our 3400, we would always turn them sideways and strap them in...during transit, they will rock and roll...a lot. If they are not "tied" down and are moving against your shades, you can probably count on the shades being damaged. And I agree with other posters, no dumb questions...you may have to ignore some of the answers.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The front storage compartment on the left side is prefabbed for a generator to be placed in that area. The ventilation is necessary for proper gen-set operation. Our previous rig (2007 3400RL) had it the same way and we never experienced dirt or moisture there at all. In fact, that is where we stored our outside rug for under the awning. The advice about turning the recliners sideways (and strapping them together) is good advice.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:07 AM   #10
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
We have the old sofa not the new air mattress kind and we moved it from the side to the back in front of the picture window. We then moved the recliners over to the side. When I put the slides in I push the sofa all the way to the back and take the cushions and block in the recliners. Never had a problem with any thing moving around plus we like that arrangement more. Since there are only the two of us we actually removed one of the recliners to the stick house and it gives us so much more room. We moved the lamp table over by the recliner.
X2 on Bingo's response for front storage. Have never had any problems with dirt or moisture coming in there.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:44 AM   #11
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
We put our recliners back to back, bungee rope around the backs and strap to the floor. No more damage to the day nite shades as I experienced on the first trip out. Th DW has made some covers out of leather that slip over the backs of the chairs that protect them when sitting in them as well as travel.
Joe
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote