Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2005, 05:38 AM   #1
Wagonmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3754
Camp ground peeve?

What is your worst campground peeve? Mine is when you arrive at at your assigned site and neighbors have their camping gear all over your site, chairs.another vehicle etc etc. One time they wern't even there, so we had to wait until they came back before we could even set up camp. Sorry just letting off steam. Jack.

Wagonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 05:53 AM   #2
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Seems to be a growing problem. We just rec'd a letter from the campground where we seasonal and they are trying to address this problem and make all aware of using their assigned space only! Can't believe the public today, comes down to a lack of respect for anyone else but ones self. SAD SAD SAD!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 06:07 AM   #3
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
Radios! Can't understand why anyone thinks that others in the area want to hear their music. As campers, we were trying to get away from the noisy neighbors. As fulltimers, we're......well......trying to get away from the noisy neighbors. Cheryl and I happen to love the quiet sounds of nature. Just can't understand why anyone wants to go camping and take all of their urban annoyances with them.

As a side note we have quite an irony at our park: the owner put out a letter reminding folks of, amongst other things, keeping small children within the designated spaces and the speed limits within the park. The irony is that our worst offenders let their 3 and 5 year olds have the run of the park (yep, unsupervised), and the same couple drives faster than most!
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 06:19 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
My first campground peeve is we seem to have lost the idea that you don't come into someone Else's spot. Yes mostly it is children who have not been taught but then when you see their parents doing the same thing you know why. My next one is the guy who comes out and starts his truck then goes back inside for 1/2 hour before he takes off. (And yes they are diesels which is why I didn't want one but Ed has me convinced the new ones are quieter and don't need a long warm up).
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 07:01 AM   #5
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Parrothead the new diesels are much quieter. They don't take much time at all to warm up which is really nice.
One camp we were at in Colorado Springs called Falcon Meadows (Bad Bad) had people that lived in their trailers all year around with their very young children. They would do their laundry and leave it in the washers all day long. No one else could use the laundry facilities. WRONG!!!! I had so much laundry that I just took it all out of the washers and dumped it into a basket and did all of mine. Don't know when they ever did get theirs out. But I did notice that they hung their laundry out to dry from the awning of their trailer. I felt like I was in a getto. Didn't need to go and pay for that. Then their kids ran the park. Toys everywhere. I won't be going back to that park again. I was told that it was on 20,000 acres. NOT......It was a little dive on the edge of town. But I must say that the one in Montana (Columbia Falls RV Park) was and still is my favorite. The camp hosts kept that park so clean. There was a family with kids that were tent camping. The kids would start running around out of their area and the hosts were right on them. Even saying "Ok, this is the 3rd and the last time, if I have to remind you again you and your parents are out of here". Really made life nice for everyone.
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 08:01 AM   #6
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
Small lots, I ask for one of the biggest lots they have for a 35ft 5er with 3 slides and the assigned lot is lined up with trailers one on top of each other. I make a note of campgrounds that have lots that are not wide enough and will not visit there again. Provincial or State parks seem to be just fine, and quieter!!
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 12:43 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Lorraine can tell you that I have many many peeves about campers but my PET peeve is just that, PETS. Why do people insist on draging their dogs with them and than take off shopping or sight seeing and leave the dogs in the trailer to cry and howl all day? Why do so many dog owners not bother to clean up after their pets? Just the other day a women was walking her dog, the dog squatted and took a dump, the women looked around and saw no one and started to walk away. I had been watching from the inside trailer door and just cleared my throat. She than spotted me and did an abrupt about face and picked of the crap.

I truely do understand why so many campgrounds are not allowing pets.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 03:55 PM   #8
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
I have to agree with Glenn. People need to better care after their pets.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 04:13 PM   #9
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
My campground pet peeve is when people cut right through your site as a short cut. One time I was sitting outside under the awning sipping a cold when out of nowhere an individual just passed right in front of me. I asked him if I could help him and he just looked at me and kept on going.
5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 04:44 PM   #10
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
I vote for the peeve of people cutting through your site. It is just rude, rude, rude.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 05:57 AM   #11
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Glenn, not all pet owners are that inconsiderate. As you can see from the MOC member signatures many of us have family (pets) along when we travel. As a matter of fact the reason we bought the trailer in the first place is we were getting tired of dealing with pet friendly motels. So we joke that the Monty is actually the dog house and we are allowed to stay in it. But I will agree with your "pet" peeve and I often confront inconsiderate pet owners.

I also hate it when people cut through our space? Or worse when their kids seem to want to play through our space. I try to set up tables and barriers to make it less inviting to uninvited guests.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 06:55 AM   #12
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Well this was in 1982 but you would think back then the kids had better rearing but they didn't. We were at a swim park in California. It had alot of those slides. They sold those flotation devices that the kids use to slide down the slides. We purchased 2 of them for our kids. When we went to bed at night we would hang them outside on the jacks. Well one night about 4am I was laying there and I heard something outside the camper. It was hot so we had the windows open. Out side there were 2 boys that were whispering "be quiet, you grab um and run". I sat straight up in bed and said "You had better get back to your own campsite or I will get up right now and go to your parents and let them know that you had planned to steal our things"!!! I think I must have scared them to death. Can you imagine, you are sneaking around thinking no one knows you are there and all of the sudden this voice scares the heck out of you!!!!LOL...They took off so fast their heads were spinning.....We never did find out who they were. But I bet they thought twice before they tried that again.........That is the type of thing that really bothers me. People don't care about where their kids get their belongings. If they steal them oh well!!! Really makes me mad. I just bought a new VW Beetle. Had it 3 days and already someone has keyed it. What are people thinking
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 07:01 AM   #13
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Yes Farmer Don. We love our 2 schnauzers as much as our daughters BUT we also hate those irresponsible pet owners out there that are giving all pet owners a bad name. One always MUST clean up after their pets and ALWAYS have them on a leash. It is the pet owners that we are peeved at not the pets. No different than being peeved at the parents of the children allowed to run wild in the campground.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 07:51 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Pets, Pets,Pets would be MY pet-peeve. (we travel with a cock-a-too) Yes SOME pet owners are considerate but most are not.When Helen takes the bird out it is in a flight suit and attached to her by a leash..The flight suit prevents the bird from crapping on anybody or anything.We do not take it anywhere were food is being served or anywhere inside were there are activities.So here you are at a bingo or other activity and here comes a couple with a Dog, fur in curls with cloths on slobbering all over you and the couple say " isn't she cute..no lady that is disgusting.
If anyone wants to travel with 7 dogs or 12 cats that's just fine..not a problem..but they are NOT people..they are
animals. We wre traveling with some friends who hade a very large dog.Left it in the camper while we went out sight seeing and the Dog trashed the inside of the camper..I don't know..I thought that was kind of cute????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 07:59 AM   #15
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
You really know how to start a thread.

We have a pet. His name is Max. He always goes with us camping. We have a cat also but she stays home. We always clean up his messes. If and when we go out for the day. Donna always makes sure the AC is on for him if its hot. He generally won't bark for no reason. I think he is a quiet dog.

Cutting through sites is just being plain ignorant of others privacy.

My biggest pet peeve is when kids are out in the road playing with a hard ball IE: Football, Baseball, Soccer ball, tennis balls are soft enough and nerf balls are the best. But when its bouncing off vehicles and campers (not always mine) and there are no parents around. You tell the kids to stop and they just look at you. Like who the heck are you. Then I get angry and make a trip to the office.

When its nice out and the windows are open. The dusty campground roads. People flying down them creating all kinds of dust that settles inside the Monty.

Noisy neighbors are right up there too.

Tiny camp sites that are so close to your neighbor you don't even get 1 1/2 extended awning distance between each other.

I'll get Off My Soap Box now
Old 08-13-2005, 08:36 AM   #16
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Mary's are pretty much the same, folks cutting through, pets, kids. I don't particularly care for the general attitude of some folks that "it isn't mine, I don't have to maintain/put up with xxxxxxxx, so I don't care. etc.". The biggest is the way some folks leave the public bathroom/shower facilities. We use them quite a bit to extend the time before we have to go to the dump site when we don't have full hookup.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:35 AM   #17
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
The Ranger Weighs in From the Enforcement side..
Peeves:
*Loud Campers (of any flavor.. or level of drunkenness).. Music, hooting and hollering.. it's all one when your walls are less than 20' apart and 2" thick.
*Children turned loose at the gate and allowed to run loose
*Animals not properly contained or cared for..
*People who forget they are not pigs and bring thier squalor with them to the park.. 4 -5 vehicles.. laundry hanging everywhere.. the firering full of @#$% when they leave. Trash blowing everywhere.
Hopefully, I will take my experiences with the worst of the camping public and never BECOME one of them..

Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:38 AM   #18
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
My pet peeve is people who don't flush the toilets. Geez - don't they have flush toilets at home?
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 10:47 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I agree with most of the peeves posted. We like our quiet and we value our privacy. We paid for the site. Stay off it unless you are invited or are coming to see us. Keep your noisy music and loud voices on your own site, too. I'd like to add one peeve - park managers/hosts that don't enforce the rules. Vicki says I'm becoming a curmudgeon, but, darn it...
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 11:25 AM   #20
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
Pets let lose by owners who believe everyone should experience their pet because it's so cute, those who feel that both hookups at a utility pole is theirs and unfriendly campers. There is nothing that gets me going quicker than to pull into a site after a 12 hour drive, go to get things set up and the neighbor has both water outlets taken, their trailer plugged into one of the electrical outlets and an extension cord with an adapter plugged into the other, they have coax hooked to both cable connections and OF COURSE THEY ARE NOWHERE TO BE FOUND. YIKES!

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote