Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2012, 06:55 AM   #1
Earthcreeper
Established Member

M.O.C. #12187
Extended Warranty Bake-Off

I have read many previous posts on extended warranties. Lots of great information. I think it is fair to say that most of you buy them. We will be picking up our new 3100RL (w/6-point hydraulic level) on Wednesday next week and of course the discussion for the ExW will take place.

If there were top shelf contenders for Extended Warranties who would they be? I am overwhelmed with possibilities but who is the best? I agree it makes sense to buy one but who wins the bake-off in terms of: price, quality, coverage & service? Not an easy answer I am sure.

I have gotten one quote so far with WholesaleWarranties.net and for 7-years it was $1597; that is the price if we pay it in 1 payment, otherwise +$150. Seems high in comparison from what was shared by some of you.

In reading the "What is Not Covered" (being a newbie and not understanding fully what it means) I am stuck. To mention a few items not covered: Manual and hydraulic linkages, glass, water leaks, nuts-bolts & fasteners (that leaves a lot to the imagination), weather stripping including slide-out weather stripping,...and more. What do you experienced folks say about this? Advice?

Someone mentioned that a great price is of no benefit if they don't take care of claims; well stated, Caveat Emptor! Also true with paying a high price, it does not automatically get you more. Researching for me is helpful but without the experience myself I am sort of feeling like I could be making an informed bad decision here either way. HELP!

Earthcreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
With very few exceptions, I never buy extended warranties. Our Montana is nearly 7 years old and I haven't replaced or worked on anything that would have been covered by a warranty, especially considering the deductible. Save your money, and if something breaks, use the money to fix it. If you do decide to get one, make sure they are reputable (Good Sam, for instance) as many of these firms have taken people's money and gone out of business, leaving people poorer and without coverage.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
X2 on if I was going to do it now I'd do it with Good Sam, just to have someone between you and the company.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I've stated this before on previous posts about this topic. The "stealer" will push and push you to buy an EW at point of sale as he profits from it. He will blow and go on about what a heck of a deal he's offering you yet if you procrastinate ... the price will be higher. BALONEY ... you have a 1 year base warranty from the manufacturer. Some components as appliances and rubber roof have multiyear warranties from their respective manufacturers. Why spend money on an EW at point of sale? Wait towards the end of the first year, and then if you feel the need ... explore EW's. The price will be nearly identical to the geat deal the "stealer" is prodding you with. When I closed on my last Montana, I thought the finance officer was going to strain a vein in the forehead come part as I respectfully declined the EW at point of sale ... he had to redo his paperwork!
PS I've owned 3 brand new Montana's over the years and 3X ... never went the extended warranty route.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
mobilcastle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11759
3100RL is a nice unit. If you are not handy at fixing things a warranty might be a good idea for you. All the advice above is good. Are you going to use it hard like fulltiming or just on weekends? If you are going to fulltime in it I would definitely consider it. Good luck.
mobilcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I agree with Tom S and dieselguy. Our unit is 6 years old with about 37,000 miles and 296 nights of use. We have been lucky and had no major repairs that the extended warranty would have covered except a $300 field repair on a broken spring hanger. We feel we are ahead of the game. Just remember the people selling EW's are not in business to lose money. We elected to follow Tom's advice, " Save your money, and if something breaks, use the money to fix it." Jim
Old 03-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #7
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Since Camping World and Good Sam are now one and seem to be the power players in a business that is struggling, if I were buying EW again today, it would probably be from them. Although I have had second thoughts about EW, since I have had no problems, I always return to the peace of mind of knowing that I'm covered. Who's to say what thats worth? I think it was worth what I payed. The EW I purchased can even be extended if I choose at the end of it's term. Since CW purchased the dealer from whom I purchased, I asked the pertinant question, will you recognize the coverage? They said they would with one difference; the deductable will be $50.00 instead of $33.00. That's good enough for me. By the way, I have Rt.66. I payed $1500.00 and was not coersed by the "stealer".
Having sold many RVs over the years, myself, I have made many friends and repeat customers. Never felt it necessary misrepresent anything. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
I have the Rt. 66 EW as well and it about paid for itself when I had to have the rear galley gray tank replaced.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #9
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
We got talked into getting the 7 year extended Warranty. Never used it. WE have decided to not fall for it again if we buy anything else.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Earthcreeper

I have read many previous posts on extended warranties. Lots of great information. I think it is fair to say that most of you buy them. We will be picking up our new 3100RL (w/6-point hydraulic level) on Wednesday next week and of course the discussion for the ExW will take place.

If there were top shelf contenders for Extended Warranties who would they be? I am overwhelmed with possibilities but who is the best? I agree it makes sense to buy one but who wins the bake-off in terms of: price, quality, coverage & service? Not an easy answer I am sure.

I have gotten one quote so far with WholesaleWarranties.net and for 7-years it was $1597; that is the price if we pay it in 1 payment, otherwise +$150. Seems high in comparison from what was shared by some of you.

In reading the "What is Not Covered" (being a newbie and not understanding fully what it means) I am stuck. To mention a few items not covered: Manual and hydraulic linkages, glass, water leaks, nuts-bolts & fasteners (that leaves a lot to the imagination), weather stripping including slide-out weather stripping,...and more. What do you experienced folks say about this? Advice?

Someone mentioned that a great price is of no benefit if they don't take care of claims; well stated, Caveat Emptor! Also true with paying a high price, it does not automatically get you more. Researching for me is helpful but without the experience myself I am sort of feeling like I could be making an informed bad decision here either way. HELP!
Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #10
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I went with Good Sams this last winter since my unit it a 2004 and I figured it was going to have something happen when we took off this winter for the first time! IT DID! On the way down to Florida I blew out a tire and replaced all four times since the guy that came by to change it(I've got Good Sam Roadside also) told me all four of my tires were dry rotted. This convinced me to replace all four before moving on. I did pay for the tires myself even though I have the tires covered under the Good Sams Extended Warranty. Under the tire coverage I had to have 5/32 of tread on the tires and I didn't think that they had that much but I got a really good deal on the four and have road hazard coverage on them now as well as the Good Sam coverage too. Further down the road on the trip(about two weeks later) my converter went out and had to have it replaced. Called Good Sams again and out came a tech and he had to order a new one since they didn't have one in stock to replace mine! The bill was about $200 out of my pocket and the balance, about $375(which included the two service calls) was paid by Good Sams. I've got till January of 2013 to see if I use the Extended Warranty more and make up my payment to Good Sam for new covered parts! As I said, we have a 2004 unit so it is getting to the age when things are going to start to happen and I'm just glad I have the coverage now to take care of anything that does happen.
If it were me in your case, I'd wait to see how the unit turns out in the way of problems. You're covered for your first year and more on certain items, as mentioned previously with the new unit. When the year comes close to an end you can take your unit in and have anything wrong with it fixed before the warranty runs out, THEN you can decide if you want to purchase other extended warranty coverages at that time and I'm sure you will be receiving extended warranty ads in the mailbox from the time you purchase it till you trade it in again so just be aware of that also. Tell us what you decide!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Extended warranties are a personal thing. You'll hear pros and cons. Personally, I like them and have had good results. Presently have Good Sam's CSP plan. Our unit is a 2000 and extended warranties have paid for themselves in the repairs I've had to have done.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Extended warranties are a personal thing. You'll hear pros and cons. Personally, I like them and have had good results. Presently have Good Sam's CSP plan. Our unit is a 2000 and extended warranties have paid for themselves in the repairs I've had to have done.

Orv
Orv: welcome back. How's the back?
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:48 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our 06 is six years old and we can not count the numbers of days we have used it but it has been a bunch. We got the extended warranty at year two and have used it more than once. Check the cost of some of the appliances. The replacement cost for ONE black tank was 800.00. The last two tanks was 1200.00. We wil absolutely get one on the new Big sky. At this time good SAM is our choice.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #14
K&Gs3400RL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9671
We have had it on several units, and when we have traded them in to go Bigger or Better. We have all ways gotten a pro-rated refund, even after using the EW on our 08 Cougar.
K&Gs3400RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #15
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
we have one and it has more than paid for itself since we got it. the price you mentioned is about what we paid. we got it mainly because of all the fancy stuff on these units, ie remotes, etc. it is the first time we have had one and am glad we have it

jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #16
Earthcreeper
Established Member

M.O.C. #12187
I sure appreciate all the input. You guys have probably forgotten more than I'll ever know about RVing. After reading all the input it gets down to whether or not $22 +/- per month (averaging) is worth it to off-set the risk and if I trust they will be there if needed. The insurance company who holds the paper is A-excellent rated for financial strength by AM Best. Not the top rating but on the low end of OK. American Bankers Insurance Company of FL is the company; sold through WholesaleWarranties.net out of San Diego. This link shows the American Banker Insurance Company rating. http://www3.ambest.com/ratings/fullp...D=2078474&NP=1 Do any of you have experience with this company?

They are an "exclusionary" provider so they state upfront what they do not pay for, everything else covered. I don't like the fact that they do not cover water leaks. Is that typical?? I have requested a copy of the policy to read. I am told they pay the repair center with a credit card upon completion so that's good too.

Not sure what the dealer has to offer next week but this can be a fall back for me and I am in no hurry. The longer I wait the more use I get out of the 7-year agreement. If I buy it now I sort of lose the 1st year since it is already covered by Keystone.

I also understand from your information that Good Sam is sort of the trusted default provider. Sort of like the old AT&T days before we went crazy in the phone business. I will check GS out as well. Are they worth twice the money?

Thanks again everyone! Once I get the Montana I sure hope you are all still around and willin'. :>))

Joe
Earthcreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #17
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Joe, Sent you a separate email!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote