Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2013, 03:45 AM   #1
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
Introduction From N. Calif

Hi folks, Bill n Barb here. We live in N.Calif in the wine country. Been RV'n since the early 70's.. starting in tents and moving through the gamut to MH's. We currently have a 37' MH and are getting rid if it.. moving back to a 5er. Our prior 5er was a most beautiful and wonderful HitchHiker. On a reasonably thought out move, we traded "up" to the MH. After a number of trips, we decided we made a seriously WRONG move. Part of which was FUEL. The MH only got about 6 MPG whereas towing the HitchHiker, which was over 17K pounds gave me between 11 and 13 MPG.. quite a difference in where and how often we took outings.

Last week we decided to get rid of the MH and found a nice, shorter 5er. The choice was a bit more practical than usual.. opting for something not as high end and a bit more practical in size for the two of us. Our choice is the Montana Mountaineer 295 RKD. Nicely appointed, FFF looks great for us, combining enough "luxury" living space with enough practical storage for our hobbies and "stuff" while on the road.

Barb is a quilter and needs her space for sewing machines, tables, etc and I'm a woodcarver,needing just enough space for my tools.

We are both musical. Barb plays cello and messes with the guitar. I used to play clarinet and guitar.. but, now.. I stick with the ukulele.. It's small and fun.

Oh, and I'm an avid brewer of BEER. Tough to do on the road.. but not tough enough to bring along a case or two of full bottles

Anyhow, we'll be picking up our new beast sometime in the first week of April.. after the prep work is completed. I'll be picking it up out of state due to registration issues so it'll give me a day or two on the road for a trial run, although the dealer is giving us a day in a local campground close to him in order to be in proximity in case some items need adjusting/fixing during the shakedown. Looks like he's arranging two weeks at a local resort along the Russian River for some extra time. All in all, we are excited.

I'm also excited to be part of this MOC community. Looking forward to having some interaction and possibly some 'eyeballs' with you down the road.

GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:22 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Welcome to the forum. I used to live in Placerville. It's a pretty part of the country.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:24 AM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Welcome to the MOC forum. There are several of us members living in the Wine Country. Join the group at a rally, the next one is at Jackson Rancheria in April.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:39 AM   #4
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
Thanks folks.
DHenry.. I live in Healdsburg.. just a hop, skip and a gopher hole away from Forestville. Getting the MM from Reeds in Petaluma. The woodcarving club is meeting for our next gathering at Jackson Rancheria. I'm not sure of the date though.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:17 AM   #5
Yamaha_Mama
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8057
Welcome to the forum. As DHenry said, there are lots of us here in wine country. We're in WIndsor. I second the invitation to Jackson at the end of April. There are a number of quilters in the group. In fact, if you check out the Jackson Rally schedule, you'll see we are having a sewing session there. Don't know much about the woodworkers...although this group is filled with talented people. I was in Honor Glee Club in Junior High....does that makes me musical!?!?! Looking forward to meeting you.
Yamaha_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:38 AM   #6
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Welcome Bill & Barb to the MOC family. My DW, Maureen, is a die hard "Crazy Quilter" and of course everywhere we go along comes at least one sewing machine and all that goes with it. Myself, I just need a small desk for my office/computer area and that is why we have our current floor plan, which is now being discontinued.

Whenever we look at upgrading we always look at "Desk Areas" and at present Keystone doesn't feel the need to place much importance on office/desk space. Hopefully in the near future out will come a floor plan with a dedicated office area option.

Again Welcome and keep us posted!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #7
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Hi I was born in Vallejo,Ca but raised from 14 on in Clear lake, lived in Santa Rosa, CA Then moved into Oregon, Mostly the Southern part. I spend 31 years drilling Water Wells, some in the Northern Calif are around Ukiah, Willits, Fort Bragg etc, Then Oregon. I took up Wood Carving Winter before last. I enjoy it very much and doesn't take up a lot of room. I gathered up drift wood walking sticks, last summer and this last Winter as we ran an RV Resort next to Gold Beach at the Oregon Coast. Welcome to the Club it a great source of Info about the Montana Fiver's.
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
Thanks again.. Yah, Barb is a quilting nut.. VP of the local group.. Sewing machine(s), cutting boards, irons, etc.. and even tho there is a ton of material.. we ALWAYS have to stop at the quilt shops we pass.. but, I support her in that.

As for wood carving not taking much room.. hmmmm. depends

Currently cleaning out all the stuff in the MH.. that's how I know how much each of us has..
Old 03-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Welcome to the forum. As time goes on and you have questions or ideas please share them with the group. A lot of knowledgeable folks on this forum always ready and willing to help.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote