Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2012, 05:27 AM   #1
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Tornado Update 8/8/2012

The insurance adjuster from State Farm just left the house and I will be getting a new roof. WHEW!!!! Should be completed in time for the fall rally.

Last Thursday, Judy and I developed a new appreciation for those of you that live in areas frequented by tornadoes. We live in a small village in the Northeastern Pennsylvania Mountains where tornadoes are as common as snow in Orlando.

The weather service was posting warnings of severe weather on Thursday afternoon for our area. This was not a new thing. I was at work that day and was following the line of thunderstorms as it barreled across Pennsylvania, west to east. Around 4:30 that afternoon, the sky started to get dark. Nothing out of the ordinary. At 4:55 pm, things were really getting wild. My cell phone was ringing as I heard our scanner announcing a tornado warning for Harford, right where I live. Judy was on the phone asking how to lower the garage door as the power just went out. She went out to the garage and was following my directions as the wind kicked up and it started to rain heavily. She got the door down and dashed to the house, about 4 feet away, as the trees in our side yard started to fall. She told me that she was heading to the cellar. She heard the tornado warning as she got inside the house. She also heard the familiar "freight train" sound associated with a tornado. She was very upset. She remained in the cellar for about 15 minutes, came up, looked out, and could not believe the sight. The trees that survived Hurricane Irene from last September were now down. (We lost about 9 trees in that storm. No physical damage as a result of that storm. I pulled the Montana out as the trees were falling and took it to a safe place. See pictures Hurricane Irene.) Several trees were resting on my storage shed and Cover-It-Garage that protects my truck. One narrowly missed a direct hit on the Montana but a side branch struck the roof. I came home from work to see this mess. My first concern was the roof of the camper. I found several tears in the roof and made emergency repairs. A large tree that is next to the CI garage did not fall. If it had, I would be looking for a new truck. Everyone was safe and no harm to the house.

Friday brought friends and neighbors to help clear the trees. It also brought the sightseers!! I have a camping friend that has a crane truck. He lifted the tree off the Montana to avoid any further damage. He also lifted the treetop off the garage (no holes!!!) and the shed (crushed and damaged). By Saturday night, all the trees were gone and yard cleanup started. The trees went to a friend who helped with the cleanup. He will use them for free winter heat.

Friday also brought the National Weather Service to my driveway. They were in the area checking to see if it was a tornado that passed through. This was the same cell that 10 miles west of us produced an official tornado but they could not declare this a tornado because it did not touch the ground. The trees were twisted off and several area residents did see a funnel cloud. Once such story goes like this.

About two tenths of a mile east of us, several kids were gathered on a porch to watch the storm. The mother of several of them was just inside the door. Conversation among friends went like this - " Oh, look at the dark clouds. Oh, look at the rain. Wow! It is really getting windy. Hey, check out the funnel cloud!!" Upon hearing that, the mother went outside, saw the cloud, and grabbed the kids and headed them down to the cellar.

I called my insurance agent. The damage to the storage shed is less than my deductible. I am in the process of getting an official estimate on replacing the roof on the Montana. Once I get an estimate, they will come to check the damage and I will get it repaired.

I have several pictures that we took. Here is the link to the photos.

Pictures

Old 07-31-2012, 05:33 AM   #2
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
Things can always be repaired or replaced, just glad you guys are alright.
CATCRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:14 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Sorry you had the experience, but you were lucky it wasn't worse than it is. With the drought we haven't had our usual number of tornados in Kansas this year. We have gotten some little pop up thunderstorms that don't give us any real rain, but when they collapse generate up to 70mph winds in a straight line. What a weather year. Anyway glad you came through it safely!!!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:25 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Snarly!

Sorry you guys have to deal with this, but, so glad it was not any worse. WHEW!

Good photos.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Oh geez, never a dull moment. Glad you are safe and sound. Scary to be there by yourself! Hope you get things back to normal and the Montana roof replaced. Good Luck!
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:47 AM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
John and Judy--Some really good shots of damage. Glad everything made it through without any really bad damage except the storage shed and some trees. We definately know what damage can be done by a tornado. They are no fun and Mother Nature can do a lot of damage in such are short period of time. The Monte got lucky with only a few tears in the roof. Could have been much worse. Hope you get the damage repaired quickly and see you at the Fall Rally!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Thank goodness no one was hurt!!! That was pretty scary for Judy being home alone. It must have also been frightening for you, knowing that she was alone and nothing that you could do. Sorry about the Montana. Hope it can get fixed quickly.

mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:30 PM   #8
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
We are glad you two are ok. Hope you get the Monty fixed soon. It is good to have neighbors like yours.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:28 AM   #9
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
WOW. Glad you didn't have more damage than that. As you know it could have been worse. Hope you get everything fixed soon. Which would you rather have, hurricane or tornado. At least we don't have to worry about Hurricanes here in the Midwest
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #10
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CATCRAW

Things can always be repaired or replaced, just glad you guys are alright.
x2.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:27 AM   #11
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
Glad you and Judy are ok. That had to be frightening! We were traveling east on 322 heading to the Lewistown area Friday morning and seen some damage from storms the night before. Probably the same cell that went across your area.
Johnnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:44 AM   #12
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

John & Judy glad everything went as well as it did. Hope you get everything taken care of without any problems. Those things can happen so fast. It could have been a lot worse.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:36 AM   #13
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Hi John and Judy,

Glad you both are ok and on the road to recovery from the damage.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #14
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Glad to hear you are okay and didn't suffer too much major damage. Things are replaceable. People aren't. Glad to hear you are making headway on getting things back to normal.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #15
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
It's great that the insurance is covering you for a new roof and you'll still make it to the rally!!!

Safe travels and have a wonderful time.
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #16
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Glad everything worked out for you!

Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #17
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Good News!! See you at the Rally with that bright shiney roof!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:14 PM   #18
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Your place looks like ours did about a month ago. We had 80 MPH a wind storm. It took several large oaks down. A week after a the storm a 4 foot in diameter red oak tree 60 feet from our house came down. I took a 3 foot oak and 2 8 inch white pines with it. We were very lucky not a tree hit the house or shop.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:48 AM   #19
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
About 2 years ago, I removed trees that were near the house so I would not have to deal with house damage. Glad I did. I have parked campers in this very spot since 1987 and NEVER had any problems with trees. Then two storms within 10 months.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #20
ka9vrx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6140
John & Judy,
So glad that the both of you are ok! I know that it is hard to deal with the damage of your property but that can be replaced or repaired! This is late getting posted so hopefully by now most has been done and you can go forward!