Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2009, 04:18 AM   #1
GeorgiaDave

M.O.C. #9681
Caught in Snow, broken water pipes

Hi All! We left IL to escape snow and cold and got caught in a huge blizzard in Tulsa, OK. We stayed with our kids there and left the Montana at the RV park. When we went back to check on it we saw columns of ice from rv to ground. We're assuming that the pipes have broken and that formed the ice columns.
We're hoping to get out of here today and head south to where it's above freezing. Do you think it would be ok to use a torch to unthaw the ice so we can get free to travel? Also, we want to wait until we get to Tucson, AZ to get pipes repaired - anyone know a good place for repairs there? Or we might stop in Deming, NM - know a good repair place there?
Thanks for your help - next year we'll leave earlier!

Dave and Georgia

GeorgiaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:32 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
YIKES PLUS

First, did you have the heat on IN the unit?? That should have kept it from freezing, UNLESS the power went out or you ran out of propane. Note, the disclaimer word, SHOULD.

Next, torch, not so sure about that, fire/flames and my unit, hope they never meet. I guess you might get away with that, if you melt the middle of the columns till they are no longer columns. I would try a hair dryer, but, if you have huge numbers of ice cycles, that may not work. Are they so thick you cannot kick them?? Maybe kicking ain't such a good idea either.

Good luck with this, please let us hear how it all works out for you.

On edit: suggest you make sure your water pump is OFF till you determine exactly what is going on with the unit.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:42 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
OKC is well known for ice storms . The hanging ice may be the result of a ice stom that preceeded the snow. Check it out. We spent a lot of time in OKC.. I have seen cars and trucks stuck to the ground.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 06:00 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Beaudry RV in Tucson, right next to Camping World, does great work if you can get in. They always seem to be able to squeeze travelers in for repairs.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 06:55 AM   #5
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Like the Mrs. said, the furnace should have keep it from freezing. No way I would use a torch on the plastic lines. Perhaps the low point drains froze, and the caps popped off? Personally, I wouldn't worry about thawing the pipes to get out of the cold weather. If you have damage, you're not going to be able to use the potable water system anyway.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:46 AM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I agree with ols1932, Beaudry Rv, I think if you did not have the heat on you may have some serious water problems. I hope if your heat was off the water system wasn't pressured up. Good Luck. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:07 AM   #7
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Where are you in Tulsa?? We have been at Mingo RV Park for the past week. Left the heat on at 60 with both propane tanks full. The Monty has done fine while we stayed with inlaws due to poor road conditions. Of course I disconnected the outside water and filled the fresh water tank for bathroom use. We use bottled water in these situations. Anyway, we plan on heading south in Monday and hope the highways are clearer. Neighborhood streets are still 4 inches of ice and snow but major roads are just slush with some clear pavement.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:56 AM   #8
GeorgiaDave

M.O.C. #9681
We did leave the heat on set to 60 degrees. Can't figure out where water is coming from if pipe isn't broken. Oh well, we dug out this afternoon and will head out in am. Were going to Amarillo, TX, but since it's so cold there too, we will head south to Dallas. We'll stop in Deming to visit some friends and then plan to winter at Cactus Country RV in Tucson. This will be our first time in AZ.

Thanks for your comments,
Dave and Georgia
GeorgiaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:10 AM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Any chance the outside water supply at the post, the campground stuff froze, split open, sprayed water all over the place?? Or did your hose bust??

Again, please let us know what you find out when you get to warmer climes!

The best of luck, safe rides.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote