Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2009, 12:24 PM   #1
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
We got zapped & fried !

Hi all,
Will try to keep this short.
An RV 2 spaces down from us in the RV park had his elec. pedistal/meter fry. They called an elec. co. out and they shut down the power on our row, did the work, kicked it back on, and pop, pop, pop goes the Monty!
We lost our microwave,bedroom TV,our inverter,my pc (fixed now it was just the power supply)surge protector on pc,our phones, and elec clocks, refer works only on gas.
This is what I heard happened, they shot 240 v. through our unit by mistake.........a few of our breakers did not flip, same thing happened to both neighbors. All three 5th wheels are made by Keystone. Now the corporate office is trying to get a hold of Keystone by EMAIL to see why the breakers didn't trip.My neighbor is looking into getting a lawyer as we are getting no answers on when things can be checked out. They said go ahead and get it done and save your reciepts! No Way. My brother in law who is a retired elec. said the breakers didn't have time to trip.We all seem to think that the office here is trying to push the blame to Keystone. It was an elec. co. contracted by the park that pulled the Boo-boo.I would think it would be them at fault....Phewwww.... just wanted to vent.
Thanks all, going to get a surge protector tomorrow!
Chris and Albert

Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Roamingusa,

From what you've described it definitely sounds as if it should be the Park and their electric outfit that should be stepping up. They are the ones that poured the incorrect voltage through the trailers and NOT Keystone. Sounds like good old fashioned "pass the buck" type stuff. Hope the Park steps up and takes the lead so you can get some things fixed.

Let us know what happens.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
As far as I know, breakers are tripped by current, not voltage. Were you hooked up to 50A 220V? If so, it sounds like the electricians disconnected the neutral so the 120V circuits became 220V circuits through your panel.
Would common surge protectors compensate for losing the neutral?
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:44 PM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
At the Rally with the Fairground Fire, They shut the electricity off. Richfaa asked me if I had shut my breaker at the CG pedestal off. I told him no... why? I just figured it would be good to know when the elect came back on.

He explained to me that you do not under any circumstances want electricity flowing to your rig when the CG flips the juice back on - real bad things could happen. He told me to wait and then after the elect came back on and stabilized, then filp the pedestal breaker back on.

Never thought of that, but it sure makes a ton of sense now...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:52 PM   #5
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

At the Rally with the Fairground Fire, They shut the electricity off. Richfaa asked me if I had shut my breaker at the CG pedestal off. I told him no... why? I just figured it would be good to know when the elect came back on.

He explained to me that you do not under any circumstances want electricity flowing to your rig when the CG flips the juice back on - real bad things could happen. He told me to wait and then after the elect came back on and stabilized, then filp the pedestal breaker back on.

Yes, I totaly agree, but did they notify us? Nope! Very frustrating to say the least.
Thanks for the reply!

Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:13 PM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Roamingusa

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Yes, I totaly agree, but did they notify us? Nope! Very frustrating to say the least.
Thanks for the reply!

Well, that sounds like a campground liability to me. If they did not let you guys know.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:01 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
We were at a CG once and they had an electrical problem. At least they warned us they were gonna be messing with the electrical about 3 CGs over. The first thing I did was turn off the breaker and disconnect from the box. They mentioned, "You won't need to do that, it's only gonna be about 30 minutes", I replied, "That's okay, it's my preference".

After they were done in about 3 hours later; I was watching them and saw that their quick repair took longer because things were not going as smoothly as expected. After they were done, I waited a while for them to leave, I measured voltage at the box then connected back in. I had powered off everything in the RV to keep the surge down. That was the longest 30 minutes I had ever experienced, but I plan for the worst.

Murphy is an optimist! (I hope you understand my insinuation)
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #8
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I am glad the I voltage controller in our unit with a built in good surge protection after hearing this.
This is the up to the electrical outfit to replace everything.
One of the parks in our system did an expansion the electrician wire one pedestal to 220v and wiped out one unit and he was responsible for the repairs.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:52 PM   #9
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Circuit breakers will trip if the amperage gets too high. They won't trip if the voltage is increased. The campground and through them, the contractor is liable. He should have unplugged the trailers and tested the pedestals before plugging them back in. If he's smart, he'll do it the next time.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:46 PM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
This should be a slam dunk deal for any starving attorney...
Old 07-09-2009, 04:48 PM   #11
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
This is scary. We don't have an autoformer or anything other than the little surge protectors. Guess we better start saving our pennies.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #12
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
I am glad I have installed a Progressive EMS just in case something like this happens.

I hope they get you fixed back up and running quickly.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote