Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2008, 07:57 AM   #1
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
115 volt outlet breaker

I had an electric heater running in the camper this weekend, same one I have been using for a year or so. It or something tripped the circuit breaker. I would not have noticed since it had warmed up doing the day but my living room TV, refrigerator and bedroom TV were all off. I realized I only have one 15 amp breaker labeled receptacle. I guess I should have realized this before now. The microwave has it' own breaker as do AC’s etc but all outlets, think more then ten on one 15 amp breaker.

Is this true with all the units or do some split the outlets to more breakers? I have room to add breakers and hope when I look at it they have more then one wire back to the breaker, don't want to have to run wires.

Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:08 AM   #2
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
Ten seems to be a little high,,, I would think you will find that there are some of that ten on a GFCI circuit...if you have the room in the breaker box add one more....If not add a line to an existing breaker..(I put another line into the A/C breaker for our electric heater).... most folks dont need both at the same time(although I once heard a story about that somewhere)...I also have a circuit for a washer/dryer and may re route that to another location later on...
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:24 AM   #3
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
I had the same problem this weekend. First the toaster oven flipped it, then the coffe pot did at 6 in the AM when it went off.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:39 AM   #4
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
If not careful, it's easy to trip the kitchen and living room breakers...lots of stuff on them. We have the combo W/D, so the dryer circuit is always unused, it's a good one for the extra heater.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:51 AM   #5
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
If not using the washer or dryer,these plugs are good sources
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:17 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
An easy and useful new plug-in is made by coming off the microwave power supply. It is on a 20 amp dedicated breaker. We use it for the coffee maker, then plug a waffle maker in the kitchen outlet. Usually we aren't using the microwave for breakfast, the circuit did not trip even when we did use the microwave and coffee maker.
I have a slide-show on how to do it in my Ozz's mods, I think under electrical.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:06 AM   #7
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
It must have been the electrical problem weekend!! I had problems too, all of a sudden no gfi. I checked the breaker in the panel, the gfi receiptical to no avail. Do you know I have a combination of 11 plugs and light fixtures on 1 gfi breaker??!!I checked every one of them for loose wires, when I got to the bedroom tv plug there it was a loose wire. They use v groove receipticles where the wires are pressed into the v groove. One was not pressed in so no connection. With all the traveling we do as week and weekend warriors or fulltimers something has to come loose with all the vibrations the 5vers go thru. I wonder what next to come loose!!
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:31 AM   #8
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
I bought another dual 15 amp breaker and put in the inverter box. Found the wiring for the 15 amp none GFI breaker had wire nut tying the power for the inverter/charger to the 15 amp breaker. I re-did the wiring taking the inverter to it's own 15 amp breaker leaving all the none GFI outlets on the old breaker.

You guys are right the GFI outlets use a GFI breaker. I guess that means less then 10 recepticals on this none GFI breaker.

I will look at what Ozz did and run another ciruit for my heater outlet. I have the extra 15 amp breaker anyway and maybe when I go digging into it I can make two wiring legs and seperate some of these outlet.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:04 PM   #9
rgn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5555
where did you get the new braker and who made ir
rgn is offline   Reply With Quote