Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
et2
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8920
sylvania convection microwave

We finally used our new 2009 3665RE last week. Went to use the microwave to cook some pop corn. Well after about 10 seconds the microwave shut off and started smoking. End of microwave.

Anybody else have problems with this brand?

et2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
It is junk and my wife won't agree but i want to go and buy a reg microwave 1000 or 1200 watts and put it in , you can't make pop corn in it , they are replacing ours soon but why???????????????? i don't know but sharon wants the org unit sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:48 AM   #3
et2
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sailer

It is junk and my wife won't agree but i want to go and buy a reg microwave 1000 or 1200 watts and put it in , you can't make pop corn in it , they are replacing ours soon but why???????????????? i don't know but sharon wants the org unit sailer
That is exactly what I told my wife. Go to Best Buy and get one that works. We have a portable electric convection oven on the counter top...it sure is a LOT easier to use then the Sylvania.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:56 AM   #4
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
ET2
Congratulations on your new unit and the experience of a NEWBIE. The Sylvania microwaves are low power and have created a lot of problems in the past. There has been a lot written in here about them. We got our unit a year ago. Our Sylvania Microwave lasted about 10 days before it died. We had it replaced under warranty and so far it seems to be working alright. NO GUARANTEE tho. POPCORN-Put a mocrowave dish (approx 1 inch deep)upsode down on the turn table and turn the microwave on. Depending on the bag of popcorn set the timer for 3-4 minutes. STAY THERE and listen and watch. When it stops popping, shut it off. It should work alright this way.

Next piece of advice is, like "sailer said", JUNK it and go to Best Buy. As I understand it the company that built them went out of business. Have A Good Day

deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:52 AM   #5
et2
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8920
Well here is a update. Our new fiver has been at the dealer for going on two weeks now. Montana claims the Sylvania microwave is no longer made. They are replacing it with a Sunbeam.We've been waiting for over a week for them to ship it.I keep getting told they are behind on their shipping. Our fiver has been in service for the last month and a half due to various issues.We have a campsite paid for all summer. These guys are really causing us a huge disappointment. We have camped in it only 4 days since purchased.

I'm not really impressed with the quality of the Montana trailer.It has been back for items to be repaired more than once. Gas regulator (2 times),door lock (2 times),leaking dump connection,bad microwave,torn slide gaskets,bad landing gear lock pins,pealing graphics,remote TV,storage locks,bad remote unit for outside controls,and others.

I understand they don't make the products installed on their trailers,however they IMHO have control over the quality of products installed in or on them.It seems like they get their parts from the lowest bidder with zero consideration for quality control.
We bought it new back in November 2008 and it went into storage until June of 2009.

Sorry for the rant but this is really starting to get on my nerves.I told the Montana service people if I have to bring it back for anymore service work this summer I will be getting a lawyer and they will be considering buying it back. I have wasted $1000.00 in fuel taking it back to the dealer and lost another $1000.00 in camping costs because I have not been able to camp.I mentioned to Montana for them to help pay for these costs. Of course you know the answer to that.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
et2, I feel your pain. I am missing a 4 day trip to the beach as we speak. Monty has been in the shop for a total of a month since we got it in April. Mostly small stuff, but some big stuff like A/C and landing gear. I too am disappointed, especially after having a Mountaineeer 5er for over 6 years that was virtually zero trouble (hence the reason for getting another Keystone).

I hope it will all "shake out", but at least I now know I am definitely buying a service plan before my first year is up! btw - our Sylvania is having issues too.
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:48 PM   #7
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
We had yoursback the the dealer twice for low power and the convection oven would not work. The third time they said the we would be getting a upgrade. We now have a 1/2 Time Apollo. It seems to work.

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:14 AM   #8
crandallbradley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5044
In my Mountaineer I went through two microwaves in nothing flat.Dealing with the dealer and the time it takes cost money rather then try another piece of junk I just got an elcheepy.It would have cost more to go back dealer and this one has lasted longer.It's sad sad sad.
crandallbradley is offline   Reply With Quote