Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2009, 04:19 AM   #1
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
AIR CONDITIONING DUCTS NEW UNITS

We are getting our new 3400RL back from the dealer today with a repair that I suggest anyone who has purchased a new Montana made after mid May should check. When Keystone had to change the AC from Dometic to Coleman, it appears that some of the installers on the line didn't get the word. On my unit they failed to hook up the AC to the ceiling ducts, both for the front and rear AC. They are hard to check since you need a ladder for the front ducts. The dealer called the production people, and he got the impression that this was the first they had heard of this issue. Maybe I was the only one, but it is worth checking.

Alan

ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Why did they change from Dometic to Coleman?
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:30 AM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Dometic had a factory in Mexico burn down. That's probably the reason
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:42 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
At the Spring Rally Charles Wade indicated that it was, indeed, because the Mexican factory burned down. He said it was a complete burn down. Right down to the foundation.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:08 AM   #5
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
I just got back from picking up my trailer. Everything is fine now. They told me that everything was in place to hook up the ducts, but someone had inserted a foam block between the AC and the ducts. I will look into the AC and try to determine what repairs they had to make. I will post the results in case someelse has this problem and wants to fix it themselves.

I was told back in May that Keystone had to find a source for the awning, AC, Microwave and I thought Water Heater but not sure, due to the fire in MX. They were going to use Carefree for the awning, Coleman for the AC and I thought he told me Atwood for the Water Heater, but not sure on the last item.

Alan

Old 06-11-2009, 09:08 AM   #6
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Maybe it's time to reopen the plant they closed in the good old USA when they went to Mexico!
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:35 AM   #7
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
According to the press release(s) immediately after the fire, Dometic claimed they had enough production capacity at their other factories to easily pick up the slack and that dealers / manufacturers should see no delays / impact. Well, guess the press gave us the correct low-down once again.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:27 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Maybe the RV manufacturers lost faith in Dometic. Dometic claims they had inventory, but when disasters like this happen their competitors will swoop in with price breaks in an effort to steal business. I think the only Dometic appliance with no competition is the Refrigerator/Freezers. Several years ago they owned all these appliances brands even though they are under different names and I still think this is still the same case according to my RV service manager.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:04 AM   #9
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Does this affect Duo-Therm AC's? We have the prep for the front AC, but haven't bought it yet.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:31 AM   #10
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
It appears that this error came about because of the switch from Duo Therm to Coleman. Therefore I doubt you will have a problem especially since the mistake took place at the factory not a dealer install.

Alan
Old 06-22-2009, 06:46 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Kathy and Dave, that front AC prep will work with any brand AC unit. We had the prep done by the factory when the rig was built in 2006. We hda the front AC installed last November. Our rear AC is Dometic and the front is Coleman.

If your front AC unit would connect to the ducts, then what I said may not be accurate for your rig. On our 2007, the prep does not provide for the front AC to connect to the ducts.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote