Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2009, 11:26 AM   #1
bikefever
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9158
Hooking up satellitee TV

I have a 2009 3455 and figured out how to hook up satellite TV. I am using my Direct TV receivers from my stick home and purchased a new slimline dish from dish depot (dishdepot.com) which included a tripod and all the accessories you need for $159.

The first step is run a coax directly to one of the RV tvs and receive strong satelitte signals. For HD additional tweaking may be required, but is possible with patience.

Second, find the Winnegard antenna system, in my rv it was located in the bedroom closet where the washer dryer is provisioned. Disconnect all coaxs from switching unit. Remove splitter. One coax is from the main connection point located in the water utility area. isolate this coax and mark it. Determine which coax feeds each tv and mark them.

Install a Direct TV splitter with the input from the main feed and splitting the signal to the two RV tvs. Note - each tv will require a direct tv receiver.

The living room tv may have a splitter installed that goes between the tv and dvd/fm receiver. Remove this splitter and coax. Hook up a coax from the wall connector to the Direct tv receiver.

The bedroom tv is connected thru a direct tv receiver to the outlet located behind the tv.

Note the roof antenna is now disconnected. If you need an antenna for the fm receiver feed it directly to the roof antenna. I found the direct tv has great xm radio channels and there is no need to connect up or use the fm radio.

The living room tv is HD and will accept a HDMI cable from the DTV receiver. The bedroom tv does not have a HDMI input so I used component input from the dtv receiver.

If you want audio from the dtv receiver to work thru your dvd/receiver connect the dtv audio out to the dvd audio in.

If you have further questions please email me.

bikefever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:33 AM   #2
NASCARon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4082
I did it a bit differently since I wanted to be able to run DVRs in both areas.
NASCARon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:28 AM   #3
bross
Established Member

M.O.C. #7621
When you say "a Direct TV splitter" did you use a splitter or a multiswitch?
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:24 AM   #4
itaves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8637
We have recently signed up with DirecTV at home and brought a receiver to our Monty. Our recently purchased pre-owned 3400RL has King Dome satellite (already installed). My question: What is the correct hookup process to get the receiver to communicate with the television? Then I will try to search for the satellite when I see the menu displayed on the television. The wall satellite/cable outlet has and IN and OUT and the television is already hooked to a DVD player system with a splitter. I just can't seem to figure this out. I can't get to the back of the ViewSonic television to try to hook it directly to the receiver. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
itaves is offline   Reply With Quote