Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2009, 04:50 AM   #1
jaleepadgett
Established Member

M.O.C. #8402
Extended Warranty??

Our 2955RL warranty runs out in a couple of weeks. Should I buy an extended warranty and which ones are best?
Thanks
James, Jane and Zoe

jaleepadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:11 AM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Extended warranties are a personal choice. Some would not be without one, and others think they are a waste of money. It all comes back to what makes you most comfortable. I went with The Choice 7 year kingpin to rear bumper warranty for my own reasons. To date, I have never had to use them in the past 4 years, but I'm glad to know I'm covered for another 3 years should I ever need them.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We went with RV shield at the end of our 1 year Keystone warranty after asked ourselves the question.." what are the odds we will not have a major failure while we own this unit" It has paid us over 900.00 in two years. We have 5 years left on the warranty. It is important to completly understand the terms of any extended warranty.. Do your homewwork.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:04 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Agree with Rich. My feelings are that it's great insurance. Our extended warranty more than paid for itself and we just signed on for Camping World's CSP. These rigs were not designed to take the pounding we give them on the road day after day, especially when you full time in one. With today's costs for repairs, my advice would be to get some type of extended warranty, preferably through your dealer. But if you have sufficient funds available to take care of any unforeseen problem cropping up, then you probably don't need the warranty.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have to clarify. The Extended warranty may not be for everyone. Orv above is a full timer. We are long timers. We use our units in a manner they were not designed for . IMO for us the extended warranty is almost a sure thing. I am surprised that these extended warranty companies will insure full timers and long timers but we are glad they do.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:24 PM   #6
ishyooper

M.O.C. #8828
We looked on the internet, and settled on one which after 4 years have used it the last two. Have $50.00 deductable and
we paid about $800.00 for it 4 years ago. We still have 4 more years on it and do know we are glad to have it. Looked
for an AM BEST rated company with good backing. Glad to have it and will renew when it comes up. Most important, you want
all seals, gaskets, etc. to be covered, and also for wear and tear of these items. Spent considerable time researching.
You also will not defer items on your trailer because of money. The more the trailers are used and considering how are
highways are a lot of shaking and rattling goes on. I think it was a good investment. Also, it helps with resale. We also have a 2995 RL only it is a 2004.
ishyooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:33 AM   #7
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
As owners of a continuing troublesome late 2006 3400RL, we would highly recommend an Extended Warranty if you can find a good one at a reasonable cost that covers what is needed.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:19 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
All I have to say is "Do Your Homework"

There is nothing worse than riding around thinking you are covered only to find that particular, very expensive, thingamajig is not covered. Do not accept any statements about coverage UNLESS it is writing. Remember the old saying "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong"
I purchased an extended warranty on this very laptop from Circuit City. The very first time I had a problem with a $300 glitch I was totally blown away when I was told I was NOT covered. Needless to say I was POd. When Circuit City closed it's door I was livid but at the same time I was happy to see those B**turds gone.
When we purchased this Monty we purchased an extended warranty from our dealer. Is it any good??? Your guess is as good as mine. I'll let you know the first time I need it.

Again----"Do Your Homework!!!!"
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:47 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Glenn has expressed my feelings. I started getting ready for this trip a few months ago knowing that my dealer warranty runs out in August, but also knowing that I may not be near a dealership when I need to. So I purchased the GS CSP. It was less expensive than the dealer warranty and covered the same items, and, I didn't have to fork out all the cash at once but could pay on quarterly payments. To me, that's my money in my bank until needed.

Over the years I have elected to take the extended warranty on select products and depending on the cost factor of the warranty. I purchased an LG DVD/VHS Recorder from best buy. After some period of time it stopped working and I put it in the closet. As I was cleaning out my files I found that I had taken an extended service plan out on it. I went to Best Buy with the recorder for repair. It was not repairable and I walked out with a brand new one, updated state of the art. My warranty was about to expire in 8 days.

The only time an extended warrant is good is when you need it. If you don't have one and something goes wrong that would be covered by an extended warranty, then you need it.

Get an "Exclusionary" extended warranty as it lists what isn't covered instead of what is covered. Look for the most comprehensive warranty you can find, and read the terms carefully. Check deductibles, and find out if the warranty company pays the shop directly, which is best, or whether you have to pay and then seek reimbursement.

Happy hunting.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:38 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The Exclusionary contract is preferred also the ones that pay by corporate credit cards. The good companies w1ll not hesitate to send you a copy of the full contract before purchase. If there is someting in the contract you do not understand take it to a attorney so you will have a clear understanding of the terms and conditions of the contract. There is no excuse for not understanding..it only takes a question??? asume nothing. Keep in mind..they are NOT extended Warranties..they are SERVICE CONTRACTS...big difference.. Understand the difference..