Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Picking Up Our New Montana May 2

Got the word today that we can pick up the new 2009 Montana 3400RL on Saturday May 2. What are some high lights that we should be looking for with a new unit before hooking on and driving away. It has a King bed and we have questioned that as it is difficult to get between the closet and the bed compared to the Queen size. Noticed the left hand lock down for the main TV was non functional. Chip on the end of the CORIAN counter top that they will replace as it has to be ordered in and then replaced.( Will be put in writing). We will use the unit with the chip and have them do that at a later date to allow instllation. I think this is good as it will give us a chance to test the unit and hopefully get all the warranty bugs out if any at that time.
Appreciate any feedback and experiences. Thanks Ellis

8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Switching from a king bed to a queen was not a all that hard for us to do with our 08 2955RL. I removed and cut the plywood down to match the fixed piece of plywood at the head of the bed and reinstalled it.
We replaced the king mattress with one of those special foam mattresses from a large furniture store. Works great for us and DW is happy with the extra room on the sides. Made a big difference making up the bed. The king bed spread worked for the queen mattress also.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:40 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Ellis, If you have used the PDI Checklist listed on the main member page and are satisfied with everything, then go for it. I would try and use everything as much as possible the first time out of the chute and keep a written log of any problems for when you get back to the dealer. I would also try and put at least 500 miles on the unit to insure everything underneath is hooked up right. Make sure you use ALL the electrical equipment and lights. If you bought a generator with it, be sure and run it. Make sure the AC and Heater works properly. Get yourself an oven thermometer and make sure the oven holds correct temp and convection oven (if ordered) maintains the proper heat. Pop some popcorn also. I guess the way to put it is to "USE THE HECK OUT OF EVERYTHING". That's the only way you'll know if it works right. Above all, don't worry if some thigs are awry, Keystone and your dealer will make it better. Also, HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:58 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
We got the king bed in our new rig but have barely enough room for us on either side even if we have to scootch sideways right before getting in bed. Also, when we fix the bed we do have to slide the mattress as far over to one side to put the bed cover down on the opposing side, then we slide it back over and do the other side, then we slide it back to center it. We have this down to a very quick routine and the bedding and mattress are light enough for us to do it from one side. For the king size we don't mind doing that because it adds only a little bit of time versus the benefit. We've used King-size beds almost all our married lives in our stick houses and when we had to settle for sorta-Queen sizes in the prior trailers we owned we considered it camping. Now with the 5er and the king bed it's RVing. Yes!

You really should have tried getting in and out and messing with the sheets and covers before purchasing. But we don't mind for now because we are in our early 50's and in good shape. Ask me when I become much more physically challenged. Then I'll have to do what Jolu did.

Good old warranty work. Hate to have it, love it when you need it. When we got our rig the refrigerator failed on our second trip within about 2 months. We completed our short vacation by using our portable ice maker to turn the fridge into a cooler then headed straight back to the dealer and had to wait about 6 weeks for replacement parts instead of Keystone not just swapping the fridge out. Fortunately we weren't full timers. Unfortunately, they knew that.

I have seen others on these forums who have checklists of things to check when picking up a new Unit. You might even search the forums for several topics and you might find some.

Check for recalls. Verify with your dealer that any recall work has already been done for all components in your rig. You'd be surprised even for a new unit how long parts sit on a shelf and may not have had recalls implemented prior to being installed in your new trailer. Remember that refrigerator problem I talked about? After fixing it I got a recall notice for it. That was a SECOND trip for warranty work on the same freaking component (different problem, but same component).

Gotta love the trailer life, the benefits of home with the quality of an American car. LOL
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
PRE-DELIVERY
The PDI (pre-delivery inspection) is on the main page of this forum and is GREAT! I strongly recommend using it. I actually filled it out on my laptop (after using a paper copy for my notes) and emailed it to our delivery person so they had no excuse about not having the information AND it was easier for them as they had everything. If you are really into the electronics you could even do digital photos of the physical descrepancies and email them as well.

BED
I don't know if I read it on this forum or in one of the MANY magazines I get, but we put a vinyl tablecloth between the plywood and the mattress (vinyl side up) and it makes sliding the mattress back and forth a breeze. King vs. queen is a personal choice BUT I am more than willing to give up the space for the sleeping comfort! Its not like I spend a lot of time up there other than to get ready to sleep, sleep, and get dressed. It doesn't affect use of the shower or vanity. Nice thing is that you can go smaller a bit easier than larger! Regardless of the size get a good mattress topper as the standard mattress leaves a great deal to be desired!

MISC
If you want/need one I have made up a checklist for first time stocking/supplying of the RV. Send me a PM and I will be happy to share it with anyone. (It is in Word format.)

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:14 PM   #6
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
We had bought a new RV Queen for our 2002 Cedar Creek just two months prior to getting our Montana 3455SA in March. We loved the mattress. TOld dealer to keep the King. Put in the Queen and was able to cut off 4.5 inches off each side of the bed platform. Makes a great deal of difference in getting into the closet.

Phyllis
Phyllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:02 AM   #7
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
We had a king size bed that came with our Montana. It took up so much room in the bedroom, made it hard to walk around. We took the king size mattress to a mattress shop and he cut it down to a queen size. Only cost 50.00. We then cut the plywood on the pedestal to fit the queen size mattress. We love it, a lot more room to move around the bed.
cmawendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:15 AM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Robin beat me to it but the PDI (Pre-Delivery-Inspection) which is on the intro page to this forum is what to use! You can print it off and take it with you. I didn't use it because I bought my Monte used from a friend. But that PDI is what to use from what I've seen of it. Hopefully, SOMEDAY we'll have a NEW rig and be able to use it too! Besides it you can go into the Search engine on this page and key in PDI inspection or just inspection and you will come up with a few other things to look for when you go to do your initial inspection before taking it! From wht they have said also on the forum is to take it out that weekend or the next and you will almost always find a few other things that you didn't catch on the PDI. Congratulations on the new rig and remember this is the place to ask ANY questions on ANYTHING concerning your new home away from home!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:06 AM   #9
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Sounds like you have already gotten some good advice so I would like to congratulate you on your new Montana. Hope you guys get many years of use from it!
Old 04-24-2009, 10:39 PM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Hey I like that vinyl tablecloth. It sounds like a good idea for us that want to keep are large, cramped King beds. I don't find it difficult to slide the mattress from side to side, but the vinyl should help minimize the wear and tear of the mattress fabric as it slides across the plywood. As long as I keep the rig level we shouldn't be sliding off the platform, eh?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote