Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2009, 12:56 AM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Help me loose weight!!

When we bought our Montana used it didn’t have any furniture in it. We purchased a queen size sofa hide-a-bed from a retail furniture store and that is what we are using for the sofa/extra bed in the Monty. Rather than haul the couch home and then find someone to help load it into the Monty; we hooked up the Monty and took it to the furniture store and they loaded it for us. When opening and closing the slide I can plainly see that it has a significant weight to it in how the slide responds. I don’t think its hurting the slide any but I would like to move this inside the stick house and replace it with a comfortable couch/sleeper that would be much lighter.

On another note: After visiting the scales the other day with the Tow Vehicle hooked up to the Monty, I can see where I would like to reduce as much weight overall as possible. I’m trying to think of possible ways to reduce extra weight and this is one of them. (In a discussion with the better half I believe something was mentioned about me loosing a few pounds too! ) Seriously though, what would be a good comfortable light weight couch/sleeper to use? What normally comes as original furniture in the Monty? Is there something that is comfortable and lighter than what we have? We have a Queen size "England" made by "Lazy Boy."

I desire the MOC family help for suggestions!
Thanks,

Old 01-31-2009, 02:14 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We use a futon, which in our case is much lighter than the OEM couch we received on delivery.

you could try ordering a couch from a dealer, but, I have to tell you , they ain't light either.

Good luck
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:21 AM   #3
bobby A
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7333
we have an 03 big sky and it came with the sofa/sleeper hide a bed as original equipt. The sofa was somewhat confortable and the sleeper was just adequate in my opinion but when we put the sleeper out it made it hard to move around in the coach, the jacknife kind takes up less space.
I don't know the exact weight but it was extremely heavy. We are getting ready for full time and we wanted to lighten the load and get something that had storage under the sofa like the new ones have. We shopped around and found the best of both worlds. A futon !! its very confortable and it jacknifes into a bed if needed and it has storage underneath, best of all, it is so much lighter than the original sofa sleeper,and it was alot cheaper than buying one of the new sofa's that come in the new units. Hope this gives you some ideas.
Bobby A
bobby A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:09 AM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Bill, They must make one, but I have never seen a "sofa-sleeper" that is actually light. Most, because of the mechanisms, are extremely heavy. We still have ours and when time comes to replace it we will go with a futon also. I think that is the way to go.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:02 AM   #5
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
I've noticed in some ads lately some couches that look lightweight that just fold down to make a sleeping area - the ends adjust to make armrests and fold flat also. Don't have any experience with them, but might be worth looking into.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:59 AM   #6
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
I like the futon idea, that would give her just one more personal touch and they are comfortable as well. Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:39 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
The OEM's I have seen are manufactured by "Flexsteel," if you have a mind to stay with them.

Edited: p.s., Camping World carries the Flexsteel line. Well, at least here in Houston. We presently have the motorized jack knife style in the SOB. No storage, but the bottom pulls out and a platform comes up, then just push the button and the couch folds down. All covered in "Ultra Leather," which is so so easy to take care of. It can be used as a "lounge chair," by stopping it in any position.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote