Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2018, 10:06 PM   #1
jking
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20361
3402rl heat

My 2014 3402rl gets plenty warm in the bedroom but not as much. Down in living area. anybody else? Suggestions?
Also, plan to install domestic 320 toilet, will it bolt right in or do I HAVE to rotate it?

jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:21 PM   #2
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I am guessing it is like my current and previous rigs. There is a pretty short straight run from the furnace to the bedroom vent. So LOTS of hot air comes out. I took tin foil and covered about 80% of the vent on the inside of it. Now it is tolerable when the furnace runs - still gets too hot in BR but only for a couple of minutes. It used to boil us out - woke up every time furnace ran.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:22 PM   #3
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I have a 2014 3402 same as yours. You get warmer in the bedroom on account it is the highest point in your rv and hot air rises. This is the same with all rv's with front bedroom. You can help keep it cooler by leaving the closet doors open and putting a fan on the dresser pointing toward the hall. As for the dometic 320 you don't have to rotate the flange but i did on mine so that the toilet is straight in line with the wall as i feel it gives you a little more room. I installed a water shut off valve and sharkbite connections. It took me about an hour but i'm pretty slow. Great improvement.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:17 AM   #4
jking
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20361
Update: haven’t changed toilet yet, but we did replace the floor registers with closeable ones and have the bedroom almost closed and the two at the island open and the coach covers the rear one. seems to give us much more uniform heat thruout. We don’t use the fireplace since it only heats for a few minutes and then the heat shuts off. We use a small ceramic heater instead and it works fine, but don’t use it very often, just when wife is at the “desk” which is a cold corner.
jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:49 PM   #5
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Ours also is warmer upstairs. If your fireplace is like ours, there is a knob that can be turned on the controls behind the metal flap that adjusts the thermostat. We can turn ours on and it heats constantly. We also replaced our toilet with a 310, and it was a direct replacement, except the water connection on the rear of the toilet was on the opposite side, but I was able to swing the pipe over and made the connection, but some have had to install an elbow fitting to make it work. Except for the different bowl, the 310 and the 320 are the same.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:02 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We changed over to the adjustable resisters long time ago we have no problem with heating in our 3402.The fireplace has a thermostat and can be adjusted to run constantly if desired. We use nothing extra for heat just the furnace .The fireplace keep things comf ortable down to 50's . I will have to say this 13 3402 is way better insulated than our 06 3400 was particularly the slides and the slide seals.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:12 AM   #7
cavalry6

M.O.C. #17458
This is a heat related problem. Our heater in our 2015 3720 would not shut off. The heat in the trailer would be over 90 degrees. In order to shut off the heater we had to turn off the propane and pull the fuse on the power panel. We didn't have heat for 5 weeks. Finally, my RV tech found the problem. There was 2 yes 2 pieces of bare wire about 6 inches long. The wire never had insolation on it. They got crossed and screwed up the heater. The wire should never been stripped of insolation like that. The wire was between the hot water heater and the wall. hard to find.
cavalry6 is offline   Reply With Quote