Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2006, 03:19 PM   #61
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
I am not sure about why there wasn't a battery in the it, but there was a case with the venting. We are adding a second battery that they will put in a second case and vent it. I was inspecting under the cargo area as it had screws all the way through the flooring sticking out. I then opened up the cargo door and saw the case for the battery, but no battery.

Rich,

Thanks for the post about letting your dealer know about your pre PDI. I called the salesman at about 5 PM on Friday and gave him my credit card number for the deposit. I told him that I would be in the next day to start going over everything. He didn't really have time to even contact the service manager as he doesn't work on the weekends. I am sure that this young man is going to do his very best to be sure that we are happy. I have already sent a couple of people over to him and we did buy our first ( and only other FVer) from that dealership, this is the one that we are trading in on the Montana.I have been looking at this dealership and at the 3400RL for over two years.

I forgot to post to you that all of our cabinet doors were fine. I slammed all of them, just kidding, I opened them up 15 to 20 times each. Opened drawers pulled out the sofa bed, heck I would have had a winnie roast but it was 95 degrees outside. I am not sure if I posted about the temperatures in the FVer but it was hot, we had no AC, only opened the windows and the door and it wasn't as hot as I expected it to be. The Montana was a cool as if I was in some of the more expensive Fvers that we have looked at. See I can compliment every now and then

Carol,

Thanks for your post, we have opened up the KZ with the battery, but it really drains the batteries. We have electricity going out to the KZ so when put out the slides or pull them in we are not using the battery. We did that once and they were drained. Thinking back on it, because of this board, it might have been the other things in the Fver that drained them down as we don't have a battery cut off on the New Vision. Now I can go to my panel outside and flip a switch....

Judy,

Thanks for your post, I need everyones great information. I am trying to be a sponge and letting it all soak in. Unfortunately I am a visual person and hubby reads it, does it and doesn't have to repeat it. I on the other hand need to go through the routine a couple of times to get it down. I have spent an sum total of 11 days in an RV and hubby has lived in one for months adjusting hurricane losses. I was very surprised that he let me pull our New Vision when we went camping about a month ago. I think that camping trip, which was a special treat getting away from the kennel, sealed the deal on the 3400RL. I knew that I needed counter space to cook on and the king size bed, as well as the larger living area. Now I just need to unload a kennel.

Steve,

Thanks for your information about the toppers. I was asking questions about them because we were looking at buying a 3400 from a dealership in Houston. They apparently always order them on all of the Montanas. Since they wouldn't some down to the price that we could get ours locally I have gone with a the dealer closer. They on the other hand don't order them on theirs. So we will start off without them and add them if we feel we need to.

Dave,

I forgot to mention to you another thing to put on your PDI list. When I was opening the bedroom window I leaned against the headboard and it came off. It looks like the just screw the headboard to the wall. I put the screw back in and it held up the fabric, so I don't know if this could be a problem or not. I think Carol redid hers so maybe she can shed some light on this.

Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 03:31 PM   #62
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Headboards are just screwed in, 4 screws, or something like that. I knew I did not want the headboard, so, I asked them to NOT attach it at the factory, it came to us laying ON the bed. It went to the pole barn, where it promptly got all bent up, I believe Al took it to the trash.

HOWEVER,if you want to get rid of it, find the 4 screws, take em out, fill the holes with white wood putty OR cover, see Judy Denner's, see John Bozarth's, see Bill and Ann, they have all done their own thing with their headboards. Mine is a series of 8 mirrors framed in wood. Mirrors are covered with family photos.

As far as repairing the screw that came out in your hand, I think I might try that white wood putty, fill hole, let dry, reinstall. OR, put in a new hole, the other one most likely would not show anyway.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 03:45 PM   #63
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Our headboard was held up with six or eight screws. I'm sure some of them do not hold as well as they should but they can be easily fix with an expansion unit that secures the screw. After traveling over bumpy roads, you'll find more screws that are lose. We just discovered that three of the four screws holding the globe on our ceiling fan fixture had worked themselves lose. I'm glad we found it out before we had a rig full of broken glass.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 03:50 PM   #64
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Judy, you know what works real nice for us with the glass globes??? That plumbers tape. Wrap around the globe a few times, put it back on, tighten the screws, and they stay right nice! Works on the fan globes too. We had a lot of trouble with one of the wall fixtures, that globe was lose after just about every trip. NOT NOW! HA HA

How's that prep for full timing coming along??
Old 05-21-2006, 05:02 PM   #65
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
That's a great hint, Carol. I'll pass it along to Glen. He's needs something else to do.

We're moving along with the packing and planning but there's more emotion involved in it than I expected. For once, I wish I wasn't a sentimental person. That makes it harder. So if anything is hard to discard, I just pass it on to the kids and then they can throw it away after I'm down the road a piece. Works for me! Thanks for asking.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:48 PM   #66
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Driftwoodgal, hope you don't mind, but we are really spreading out your topic here, but then again, it is all general info that should be helpful. SO... Carol and/or Judy, Cheryl wants to pull the headboard cardboard,and re-upholster. She used to work for a re-upholstering business, that did everything from commercial to RV and boat re-do's. How hard is that cardboard going to be to re-upholster - in YOUR opinion?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 05:57 PM   #67
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Since I am new to this I need to remember that my house is bouncing up and down the road as it travels. When we cruise I have to pack light because of airline restrictions and weight. When we in the Monty yesterday we were discussing who would have what closet space and what drawers I told hubby that he could have the closet next to the bed and I would have the closet across the from of the Monty. He was grinning from ear to ear.... that isn't a good thing. We will have to work out storage problems at some point. Hubby says you pack the clothes for a cruise and nothing else. Somehow I don't think I will be wearing a formal to adjust losses in. He just wants me to rememeber that we have to pack light in the trailer.Ok, it is my fault I need to try to pack lighterl

I think the two lists have gotten crossed
Old 05-21-2006, 06:21 PM   #68
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Hard enough that we started fresh with a 1/4" piece of plywood. We put a one inch piece of foam over the entire surface and then stapled the new fabric on the back. It's hung with four heavy duty picture hangers. It seems to be quite secure on the wall. The original headboard is very flimsy and I wouldn't recommend using it at all. Start from scratch. Someone put up a nice wooden one, too. That's what I would want to do if I didn't want a place to display pictures.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:26 PM   #69
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Check the inside cabinet doors to make sure they are all finished. All our top ones did not have that smooth finish and we just now noticed it...a little over a year later
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 06:30 PM   #70
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Judy. I'll copy this off for Cheryl.

Driftwoodgal, we had the same discusion... Why do women always think their clothes take priority??? Oops... I may be outnumbered here... I need to get back to the "torque wrench" discussion, where the guys are. I could get hurt here...

How did I ever get on this thread, anyway??? Talking about sewing and patterns and arrranging clothes... WHAT"S HAPPENING TO ME???

(Thanks, anyway, Judy...)
Old 05-22-2006, 02:26 AM   #71
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
I'm with Judy, I would not invest any time in trying to fix the OEM headboard. Very flimsy. Our 8 frames are each stuck on with double faced sticky tape, have not moved.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:15 AM   #72
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Dave,

You are to funny! Of course women have the right to more space in the RV. I bet you won't give her equal space in the cargo area I would be worried about what space you will have as women are nesters. Once the claim a territory it is pretty hard to uproot them.

Carol,

I am sure that I will end up doing something with the bedspread, headboard etc at some point but that will have to wait until I am retired. I wish my dear mother was still alive, she was wonderful at doing all those kind of things.

I know exactly what type of tape you are talking about the teflon tape. We have used it on our globes on our ceiling fan in the bedroom.

Campbud,

Thanks for the tip I will relook at the cabinets. I think all of ours were finished, but I didn't have a step stool for the ones at the top.

Judy,

I wish you luck in your down sizing, we have friends that are in a motor coach full time, and did the same thing you are doing now. I don't know if I could let go of things that have been in the family. I will have a entirely new learning experience when I start traveling in the Monty.

When you were in Canyon Lake you were about 30 minutes from us.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:32 AM   #73
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Driftwoodgal

Judy,

I wish you luck in your down sizing, we have friends that are in a motor coach full time, and did the same thing you are doing now. I don't know if I could let go of things that have been in the family. I will have a entirely new learning experience when I start traveling in the Monty.

When you were in Canyon Lake you were about 30 minutes from us.
Driftwoodgal, we didn't let go of those things. Those are the things we stored. We'll pull them out of storage some day when we again settle into a stick home. There are some things we no way would let go.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:00 PM   #74
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Remember it is a 3400RL! There is tons of storage and room in that baby!!! Take it all... =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 03:36 AM   #75
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Montana Sky,

I don't think my hubby is going to like your post. I can pack more per square inch than most people. I think you call it a pack rat

I went back to the dealership yesterday hoping that they had water and electricity to it. It hadn't been moved yet, that is supposed to happen today.

They have already contacted Montana about the list of problems that I had found when I went over the things that I could look at without power etc. Montana has authorized fixing all of the items even the toilet. They had a new Monty come in that has the Sapphire enterior so they are taking out one of those recliners and replacing the torn one in our 3400.

I met the service manager, who will do our PDI, and he seemed to be on top of all of my concerns so far. He said "You are spending alot of money, you should make sure that everything works."

Rich,
I mentioned to him about the hole under the shower area. He said he was hesitant in closing that all of the way as you would need someplace for water to go if you had a leak in that area. Any thoughts? Since I haven't seen this hole I am not sure about his answer.

So far this dealer has been very helpful, but want us to close on May 31. Since this is a busy weekend for the kennel I am not sure that is going to happen.

One thing that is very nice is that they are going to let us charge the Monty on our credit card. I will be more than happy to get those extra points to use, I just got a notice from the credit card company that I can get vouchers for gas.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:30 AM   #76
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Regards the leak in the shower..good point ..There are two large holes under the tub I guess you have a choice of where you want the water to go should you have a leak .Should it go through those holes into the front compartment then perhaps into the underbelly or spread out into the bathroom floor..His reply would suggest that Keystone knows there will be a leak so left the holes for water flow. Our dealer replaced the OEM drain with a more sturdy one to prevent there being a leak. We were more concerned with "critters" finding a easy entrance into the camper. Nice move on the credit card thing..Wish we had thought of that.Could have charged 40K + on the credit card, got many points or gas vouchers then paid the credit card off when the bill came. Rats...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:05 AM   #77
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Wow, that's an awesome opportunity....to get all those points from your credit cards. Lucky you!
Old 05-25-2006, 01:23 PM   #78
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Yep, I am smiling about the credit card points. We will pay it off when the monthly bill comes in. Note to self dont make a mistake and bury it on my desk as the finance charge would be horrible.

They are wanting us to close on the Monty on the 31st. I have yet to get in it with any power. We may try to go over on Memorial Day, if we have time, and check electrical outlets and the things that need power and propane. If we do get over there one day isn't enough time for me if I find a problem. Hopefully everything checks out, but I won't sign my name until I feel comfortable. Thanks to all of your posts I know the ball is in my court until I take possesion.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:49 AM   #79
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
We are going over to check the Monty out once again, only this time we will have electricity, water and porpane.

I will keep you posted on what we find. If everything is ok we should be signing papers on Thursday or Friday. We have already found someone that wants to buy our New Vision from the dealership. I am sad to say that I will miss it as it has been a nice rig. I guess I will just have to suffer through it when we pull the 3400 home

Did any of you buy the extended warranty on your Monty, and if so what insurance company are you using?
Old 05-29-2006, 03:35 AM   #80
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Driftwoodgal, I think most are waiting on their extended warranty until they need it at the end of the first year. There may be others that do it differently, though.