Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #21
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Keep it going admin, with a little effort this thread can make it to TIRE thread elite status.
Mike

pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:06 AM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There was a recent incident here in Florida were a concealed carry person shot and killed a teenager in a car because of loud music .He said he pointed a shotgun at him. No weapon of any kind was found in the car the car never moved.The shooter is in jail.You can still be a idiot and have a CC.This incident will I am sure bring out all the anti gun bone heads. I know many folks who have CC's that IMO should not have them.We know a person who is a bigot and racist and dislikes anyone who is not just like him and thinks just like him.He has a CC and carries a weapon every where.very scarry.

Before you start calling me anti gun I have had a CC for years and carry.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #23
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Actually, this is an RV site. The subject of this thread might be better aired on one of the many gun related sites. So before it turns ugly, why not let this be the last post and have a moderator lock it down.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #24
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
nosticks wrote:
Quote:
quote:
Actually, this is an RV site. The subject of this thread might be better aired on one of the many gun related sites. So before it turns ugly, why not let this be the last post and have a moderator lock it down.
I agree with nosticks, as a long time and frequent visitor to the US I have sat on my hands to keep from making a comment that might offend any of my American friends, this really serves no purpose on the MOC forums.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #25
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
What I post here is not political or ment to be. It is not about changing this to a gun forum. It is to inform those that have an interest.
It is not intended to relate to what someone else did or didn't do. And YES it does serve a purpose. It is only to remind those of us that choose to carry what a responsibility we have as most of us know.
If you do not agree with what we do, that is fine.
If you don't like reading Guns & Ammo don't buy the book.

As the forum heading says

Sitting around the Campfire
A great place to Chit Chat Drop in here and discuss the many things that have NOTHING to do with RV's/RVing.
thanks for your point of view
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #26
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
We have had firearms discussions before on this forum, many times, as well as discussions on many other controversial subjects. For the most part, these discussions have been kept civil. I don't see anything wrong with it, but maybe we can't do that anymore. Maybe we should ask the administrators to ban any discussion that has the potential to stir up peoples emotions. Maybe we now have too many members that are easily offended.

Just my two cents worth.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #27
Ski Doo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12146
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nosticks

Why not just skip over a thread that you find objectionable?

Myself and others, evidently, find the topic interesting.
Ski Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I find the educational links....well..educational....We need more of that.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #29
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nosticks

Yah, let's ALL try and refrain from topics that are sensitive and controversial and let's discuss issues related to our common ownership and appreciation of the Montana 5th Wheel and of the terrific people we've met through our association. Politics, guns, sex and religion have lots of other sites where folks can express their opinions. There's time and place for everything!
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #30
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Personaly I think this topic is in the correct place. As a long time member, I have decided long ago that if I didn't want to read something, I did not visit that topic.
Therefore, I believe that's why the admins have let it alone, people should have a choice to read or not.
And yes, I do have CCW and was a NRA certified instructor for the BSA although a few years ago.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #31
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
And yes this particular forum contained within the MOC Forum website is as it states has nothing to do with RV's/RVing
This topic is not sensitive or controversial and is ment to inform and share information pertaining to CCW and just general use of firearms.
I would say that well over 75% of topics in the Sitting around the campfire have nothing to do with RVing.

Sitting around the CampfireA great place to Chit Chat Drop in here and discuss the many things that have NOTHING to do with RV's/RVing.
DO NOT MAKE POLITICAL THREADS/POSTS OR LINKS TO ANYTHING POLITICAL, REFERENCES OR LINKS TO THINGS RACIAL OR ETHNIC.
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #32
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I refrain from making personal comments on certain topics not because they are political, but because I am sensitive to the opinions of my American friends. I also stay away from comments or discussion on American politics as well as religion, if that makes me one of the members easily offended then so be it.

The topic may not be, or was not intended to be political, however it does stir up emotions from those pro and con on gun issues. I have owned guns, including handguns from the time I was a kid, and still do, I have nothing against owning a gun and using it responsibly, and I am fully in favor of being properly trained in the use of a firearm. If you question that read my only post to a thread that had anything to do with guns on these forums.

The simple fact that a couple of people expressed their opinion on the relevance of this type of topic on a RV site, quickly caused a negative response from some proponents, so it has the potential to stir up emotions and become uncivil. What I discuss around a campfire in person with my friends and others, will always be quite different from what I would discuss here in these forums, some of those topics are in fact banned here in the forums.

I made no negative remarks about anyone’s beliefs or rights regarding the issue of packing a handgun and was not uncivil in my comment. I only questioned the relevance of discussing this in a RV related forum.

I like to read all of the forum threads and I will continue to show respect for the opinions of others with whom I may agree or disagree, and will keep my opinion on this topic to myself for the reasons already stated.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #33
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I feel carrying is very much an RV subject in this day and time. I know I have been approached 3 times now while traveling by crackheads trying to con money from me. The last time was this past Aug. in West Memphis where 2 guys came up with their sob story to con money from us and were very persistent. When the one guy came up to the side of the truck the wife informed him to step back cause he will shoot you, they then decided to leave. So if you travel and are like some of us up in years, then a handgun becomes a tool, just like a wheel chock or satellite dish or anything else on my rig that helps me do a job. Times have changed and I am not as fast as I used to be so that is a tool that will be with me now. There was a time when I did not need a hand gun, 6'2" and 280 lbs no, I did not need one. But times have also changed, just look at the news tonite, 2 dead as a gunman started shooting in a mall in Or. So talking about handguns is no different then sitting around and talking about satellite dishes or trailer hitches etc. to me. Could be because I live in Texas which has the highest concealed carrying public in the country. Handguns in trailers are not only for protection from humans but also wildlife, some bears I know have some pretty bad attitudes. So CCH is pertinent to RVing for some of us, if it is not to you, then you don't have to read it, it was fairly obvious by the title what the thread is about. As I said before I respect the decision of those that do not wish to carry or are nervous around handguns, but then please respect my decision to carry one, and lets hope there never comes a day that you will be happy to see me by your side with it drawn.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:32 PM   #34
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Great article Allen. Thanks for providing. Jim
Old 12-12-2012, 12:16 AM   #35
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Allen in MT

What I post here is not political or ment to be. It is not about changing this to a gun forum. It is to inform those that have an interest.
It is not intended to relate to what someone else did or didn't do. And YES it does serve a purpose. It is only to remind those of us that choose to carry what a responsibility we have as most of us know.
If you do not agree with what we do, that is fine.
If you don't like reading Guns & Ammo don't buy the book.

As the forum heading says

Sitting around the Campfire
A great place to Chit Chat Drop in here and discuss the many things that have NOTHING to do with RV's/RVing.
thanks for your point of view
X2 with Allen....If someone finds a certain subject offensive or not of their liking then skip over it....There are plenty of topics that do not interest me so I just "skip" over them. If one wants to stick to strictly RVing topics there are plenty here to choose from. I find the more knowledge and education we ALL get about ALL subjects the better off we ALL are.

As a fellow CCW permit holder and RVer I find it extremely helpful to hear what others that share the same concerns have to say.

Thank you.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:07 AM   #36
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have had to protect ourselves from things in the woods more than things on the street.We have been approched at truck stops by various folks but never felt threatened and a not interested was enough to send them on their way.Of course the trusty .45 is handy.....who knows.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #37
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
I think there have been some very healthy and rich insights shared here that will help those of us who chose to arm ourselves at times, understand the significance of how a firearm can tragically change lives. I also believe there are a very select few, who posses the poise of emotion and reaction to truly maintain the 'command' over the situation when encounter situations become volatile. This is a free country and we all have the right to keep and bare arms, but at times i believe we should be a little more 'judicious' in vetting those who are allowed to purchase firearms. I truly believe training and gun-experience background checks should be part of purchasing a firearm. Law abiding citizens can become as scary as the thugs when they have guns that outmatch my local LE officers', AND have no idea of what they REALLY have their hands on. Sorry folks, but we have some real, yuppie, Rambo fantasy, "needy-ego" folks carrying out there. Sometimes these folks scare me! There is nothing better than having a neighbor (or campground neighbor) who is cool-headed and also armed.
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #38
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
X2
Old 12-14-2012, 05:52 AM   #39
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I know it would not have helped since no state allows CC into a school, but it does show the state of affairs today, a sick nutjob shoots 20-25 little kids in Ct.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:05 AM   #40
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
[quote]Originally posted by fauch

I think there have been some very healthy and rich insights shared here that will help those of us who chose to arm ourselves at times, understand the significance of how a firearm can tragically change lives. I also believe there are a very select few, who posses the poise of emotion and reaction to truly maintain the 'command' over the situation when encounter situations become volatile. This is a free country and we all have the right to keep and bare arms, but at times i believe we should be a little more 'judicious' in vetting those who are allowed to purchase firearms. I truly believe training and gun-experience background checks should be part of purchasing a firearm. Law abiding citizens can become as scary as the thugs when they have guns that outmatch my local LE officers', AND have no idea of what they REALLY have their hands on. Sorry folks, but we have some real, yuppie, Rambo fantasy, "needy-ego" folks carrying out there. Sometimes these folks scare me! There is nothing better than having a neighbor (or campground neighbor) who is cool-headed and also armed.

I Agree 100%
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote