Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2019, 02:18 PM   #21
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
Sounds like a big problem. Hopefully, you have the 3 year chassis warranty from LCI and since the pop outs are part of the LCI chassis, it should be covered.

StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:22 PM   #22
philiprmcgovern
Established Member

M.O.C. #17498
Ok, here is my guess. We had mucho trouble with both big slides (kitchen and living room) on our 2016 HC. Our repair guy found that, while the little BR slide had two white Teflon rollers under it, - visible when the slide is out and you are looking underneath it while outside the rig - the big kitchen slide had two rollers but they were at the very ends of the slide where they were basically useless. The LR slide had no rollers under it at all! The miracle is that it worked as long as it did. He centered the rollers on the kitchen slide where they would do some good and installed the two rollers on the LR slide which the factory had “overlooked” and we were good to go - until our next disaster. I noticed that when the kitchen slide moved, the wall adjacent to it moved with it a few inches. Our dealer fixed it under warranty. When I asked them what the problem was, they said there was a “bad weld” where the stud adjacent the to the slide attaches to the frame. We were good to go again - until our next disaster. At some BLM area in the middle of Nowhere, Utah, the same bulging wall thing was happening on the kitchen slide next to the entry door. This time, I sawed a hole in the outer skin at the base of the stud and discovered that there was NO WELD at all to hold the stud to the frame. My redneck repair was to screw a metal plate to the stud and frame and the bulging problem went away. I’m now convinced that the dealer should have said “no weld” instead of “bad weld” and that, most likely, NONE of the RV’s studs got welded to the frame! Bottom line: I am very underwhelmed with the build quality of our HC and. rather than wait around to see what the next disaster will be, we plan to trade up to a Grand Design Solitude. What sold me on Grand Design is the fact that, when I asked two separate, highly experienced, non-dealer RV repair technicians in two different states which brand of fifth wheel RV had the fewest problems, they both replied “Grand Design” without a second’s delay.
I’m sorry that this rant was so long winded, but I hope that someone on this forum will find it helpful. Thanks for letting me vent.
philiprmcgovern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:57 PM   #23
Hamlej
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22749
Just a guess. Did previous owner install any new cables? If so were they routed correctly? Is the chain installed correctly on motor sprocket

Larry and Linda Stetz
2018 3820FK
2019 F350 Lariet DRW 14000# GVWR 6.7 Turbo Diesel
Hamlej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:34 PM   #24
arson41

M.O.C. #14542
Are you sure they aren’t hydraulic slides? I have a 2008 Montana 2980 and my slides are hydraulic if the reservoir is low then they will not work properly.
Good luck.
arson41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:18 PM   #25
b.o.plenty
Established Member

M.O.C. #17854
Just a thought. There should be 2 relays or solenoids to operate the motors. One for in, one for out. Usually they are located in the front compartment. You may be able to test them by swapping the wires from one to another then use the opposite switch to see if it works. Just sayin.
b.o.plenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:36 AM   #26
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
This is a High Country so not hydraulic. Are there solenoids for the electric levelers?
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:35 AM   #27
b.o.plenty
Established Member

M.O.C. #17854
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
This is a High Country so not hydraulic. Are there solenoids for the electric levelers?
Anything with a high current draw will use relays or solenoids. Worth looking at them. Good luck.
b.o.plenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:36 PM   #28
Arizonacouple
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15914
No you are absolutely right to rant.

We went to the 2017 rally and when we started to extend the living room slide the wall to the right started to split. Same problem. No welds. Keystone kept the rig for two more weeks after the rally and completely replaced the entire wall from front to back.

Other than the living room slide trim falling off on our way home (poorly repaired by local dealer) we have had no other issues with the 305rl except this annoying problem.
Arizonacouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:24 PM   #29
philiprmcgovern
Established Member

M.O.C. #17498
Great! Did they check the welds on all of the studs or just the ones next to the slide outs? Since we had two studs without welds, I’m very doubtful about the rest of ours. Glad you got yours taken care of under warranty. We’ve also had to replace two slide motors and two gearboxes. Since they aren’t super expensive, but hard to find in stock, you might want to carry one of each - just in case. Safe travels. Phil
Old 07-22-2019, 02:27 PM   #30
Arizonacouple
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15914
Maybe I should go back to this years rally LOL. I think I need 3 gearboxes!
Arizonacouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:29 PM   #31
philiprmcgovern
Established Member

M.O.C. #17498
Seriously, not a bad idea. Also, you might want to have a cable kit or two on hand if you’re going to be off grid at all. Two of our cables got mis-aligned and ended up getting frayed into a mess the size of a basketball You will thank me later. Phil