Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2009, 07:01 AM   #1
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Leveling

We recently came back from a short trip to a very nice RV park with concrete pads. While setting up with a bubble level on the king pin as I done many times, I determined I needed to add a two pads under the right two tires. OK, I got up on the pads and the level looked good. A few days later it looked like I only needed 1 pad because the bubble level showed the right side was high. I am assuming the concrete pad is level or close to it. Does the Moryde suspension settle or relax or whatever after driving and then setting up? I don't remember seeing this in the past. Of course over the 4 nights there, we filled up the black,gray and kitchen tanks. Maybe the tanks had an effect?? Suggestions are welcome. I would go back to the park--it is really nice!

F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:08 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I can't say that we have ever noticed that when set up on a solid pad. We set up here October 24th 08 and the bubble has not moved.....????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:12 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
With My MOR/ryde suspension, I have noticed some changes that seem to be related to weight shift. I can't swear to it, but I am suspicious that the rubber springs "give" under certain conditions.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:37 AM   #4
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
I've wondered the same thing as Stiles. Last year last couple of times out I leveled to the large level I have on my hitch that I can see from the truck. When we got inside the rig obviously was not level. To make a long story short my level has been changing after only a short time and I am not sure if it is the level or something else. I can't figure out how the level could be wrong or more specifically why it would change on it's own. I will have to wait a couple of months to see what will happen now however the level had not changed all this winter since I put the rig away in the Fall.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:48 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
A person sure wouldn't think the Mor-Ryde would settle. Tires cool down and shrink, and maybe the leaf springs.

I know just about the time I think I'm level, I set the rear jacks and knock the level way out. Those telescoping jacks can change the pitch and ya much more than you think with very little effort.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:54 AM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
My thought on this is tire air pressure, Maybe?
Old 02-16-2009, 10:00 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I think what's going on is this (and this is from experience). I've backed into some lots, leveled the rig to where it was level WHILE CONNECTED TO THE TRUCK. Then unhooked the truck and found the rig's level ball moved to where I didn't need two boards, but rather only one. Maybe not exactly what you experienced.

I can't imagine it being level when disconnected and then changing that much unless both tires on one side went flat. It's not the result of MOR/ryde suspension settling.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:32 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
As a after thought. We can tell you that if you placed a level in 5 different places in the 3400 you would get 5 different reading in terms of level. The floor, he counter top, the PC desk, all different. Our level is on the hitch pin which is connected to the frame and I figure, without any supporting evidence at all, that the frame is the most level thing. Beside the hitch pin level Helen uses the golf ball on the floor method and the final check is will the bathroom door not swing open or closed. I would not think the Mor Ryde would settle??? But it is a thought...
Old 02-16-2009, 11:24 AM   #9
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I have a leg leveler which will keep the frame from twisting if one of the landing gear hits the ground first. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-leveler/17329
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:36 AM   #10
muddflapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7533
Just a thought, but I thought the most important thing in the trailer to have level is the fridge. I always put a level in the fridge and make sure that one is level
muddflapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:42 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by muddflapp

Just a thought, but I thought the most important thing in the trailer to have level is the fridge. I always put a level in the fridge and make sure that one is level
Amen! That's exactly what I've done for years and years. We had a reefer go out back in 1980 because we were too much unlevel fore and aft (Reefer installed on street side of rig). Since we have done that, now our outside levels are set so that when I check the bubble level in the reefer, the bubble is right in the middle. Keep on doing what you're doing.

Orv
Old 02-17-2009, 03:55 AM   #12
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
A little more info. I noticed the difference when I unhooked and set the front facts. It seemed to indicate that I did not need as many blocks. In addition I backed in over a sloped curb at the pad entrance. Maybe in the future, I just need to move the rig back and forth a few times to get things settled--since the concrete slab looks to be flat and maybe level. I don't seem to notice it when the I park on gravel or use pull thrus. The tires were OK--no pressure change. Thanks for the comments!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:06 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We let the front jack pads fall to the ground or blocks then raise he legs till they snap into place. There may be a hole or two diference due to unven ground. Trucker told me that many years ago. According to the book the fridge would need to be way uneven to be affected but that is a good place to set the level.My point is that there are several different "levels" in and out of the camper. Which one do we trust????
Old 02-17-2009, 06:01 AM   #14
beakyfudd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8751
I've used the refer door(if you don't have a small level) as a final confirmation of being level. Open it and see if it swings any particular way. Timandsusan, what was the outside temp? I have one of those large bubble levels mounted on the Morryde pin box, with the ball inside, and when it's cold outside, it takes longer for the ball to seek the lowest point. I've driven up on the ramp that I use, to a certain point, thought it was level, and a few minutes later, had to back down alot to achieve level.
beakyfudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:21 AM   #15
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Always found the countertop in the old motorhome and in the Monty is not necessarily level. I carry a regular level, and find that by going by the readings taken on the floor, it is always too close to know the difference.

Running a little water in the shower is a clue as well. Watch the flow towards the drain.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:25 AM   #16
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thats a good idea on the shower. I always seem to get mine off a little and end up with standing water in there.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:26 AM   #17
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We use a small torpedo level on the kitchen floor for side to side and a small bubble level over the drivers side propane door, near the jact extender. We have found that after staying in the same place on dirt or gravel the level can change somewhat, but has never been enough to relevel. We just use the foot squeegee in the shower......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:59 AM   #18
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

My point is that there are several different "levels" in and out of the camper. Which one do we trust????
Brad, I believe the bubble level in the refrigerator would be the best. You're right that if you put a level down in any number of places in the rig, you'll get any number of different indications of level or near level. That's why I decided to use the bubble level in the refrigerator.

Orv
Old 02-17-2009, 09:25 AM   #19
goin2themountains
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9063
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

I think what's going on is this (and this is from experience). I've backed into some lots, leveled the rig to where it was level WHILE CONNECTED TO THE TRUCK. Then unhooked the truck and found the rig's level ball moved to where I didn't need two boards, but rather only one. Maybe not exactly what you experienced.

I can't imagine it being level when disconnected and then changing that much unless both tires on one side went flat. It's not the result of MOR/ryde suspension settling.

Orv

If one doesn't have a hitch head that can angle side to side, it might be conceivable that hooked up to the TV was torquing the pinbox, and/or possibly setting a landing gear in a hole? Lots of reasons why level can change while setting up, but I agree with Orv, wouldn't think the suspension would settle unless a person had the axles in a bind.
goin2themountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:42 PM   #20
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
It seems like to me that when a person has the fridge level, and then you set your hitch level to that setting it would be much easier than running around checking everything else. .02
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote