Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2011, 02:45 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
2008 Ford Super Duty noise

So now the Ford field engineer has determined that he thinks the engine noise is coming from-some where in the exhaust system, maybe a gasket????
They will be removing the cab from the frame...well, maybe Monday, or maybe Tuesday.
This after one month 3 days in their shop-or rather parking lot. Looks like another week or two, the way they are hit-and-miss working on my truck.
So if they are right, and some of you Ford truck owners hear that noise when accelerating, that could be it.
I still think it is the rear Turbo, but we shall see.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:04 AM   #2
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
I must have missed the earlier post ref the noise...what kind of noise are you speaking of?....we just got an 08 dually in February..so far a really good experience...
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:09 AM   #3
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Wow! I cannot believe this; no one in our area of the Northwest would accept that kind of treatment especilally in the Oilfield where those trucks go 24 hours a day!! Anything over 3 or four days is not resonable for the consumer. I know I would be driving another make with a treatment like that!! IMHO
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:52 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Stan, I have had really good luck with my truck, I love it and have no plans on getting another, I have an engine noise that is hard to describe, but when you accelerate it sounds like a mild grinding or rattling. The problem is with the complexity of the engines and the lack of top-notch mechanics; possibly management that will not allow the mechanic to pursue what he thinks could be the problem because it 'may not be a reimbursable repair' under the warranty. It could be a combination of these factors plus others I am not privy to.
I had a difficult complex Heat Pump issue I sent my service tech on, he worked at it for 8 hrs, I told him not to go onto another job, fix it then and there, I had to hire another company to go and assist him. (I was tied up on a job I had to get done.) I lost $450 on the job, but I took care of the customer in a timely manner. I would not think of any other way to do business. My Tech is young and inexperienced, he learned from the job.
8e3KO I am giving them a sufficient amount of rope... knowing this is not an easy fix, and that I would probably have no better luck anywhere else, (I did rant and rave, demand expediency, all that) I just worked around it.
I think my eventual outcome will be beneficial.
It isn't the truck, all trucks have problems that need to be remedied.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:21 AM   #5
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
I had a 2006 F350 DRW that burned out its first engine at 58K. 2nd engine died with 52K on it. And this was with oil changes and all maintenance done at Ford dealerships when required by the maintenance plan.So I jacked up the radiator cap and drove a new Dodge 3500 under it.

The DW calculated that during the last year we had the Ford that it cost us $1.00 per mile in maintenance to keep it on the road. After replacing the oil cooler, fuel control module (and other various engine components), the last straw was being told that 7 of 8 injectors had to be replaced (at my expense since the truck was totally out of warranty).

We loved the Ford, the power, cockpit layout...all of it. We just could not afford it. I know my situation does not apply across the board with Ford, but that @#$%$^&* 6.0 liter engine should have been used as a bombing target a loooooong time ago.

The Cummings engine has been purring right along with 28K now and no hiccups.

The 2011 F350 is one purty beast. Good luck with it.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:51 AM   #6
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
Ozz...thanks for the description....we will keep an ear out for that...so far so good with ours...only has 29k on it...was a 1 owner, gargae kept, maintenance records etc...lariat...only time will tell..we had an 05 6.0 F250 and it did well...just needed a little more ump in the suspension area for our monty...so far the handling has been really nice with plenty of power...its fun to drive and tow with ...mileage is about the same as our f250 was...between 10 and 10.4 mpg so far on 2 trips
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:03 AM   #7
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Ozz, Our son in law had a similar experience with a Dodge truck. Started out as "clunk" sound on acceleration and progress to a rattling on acceleration. He had it in the dealership numerous times. They tried could not find it. They ended up bringing the factory people in. Of all things they found a loose baffle in the muffler. Baffle may not be right but some piece in the muffler either broke off or broke a weld. They were just a few days away from buying the truck back when they found the problem. Not sure it is pertinent to your situation but sure sounds similar. Good luck, Jim
Old 04-22-2011, 11:20 AM   #8
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Ozz, it's always something...at least this something does not hurt!
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:02 PM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Ozz being in business for yourself you know that the squeaky wheel does not always get the grease. Sometimes it gets the shaft. If you really wont something please and thank you will get you what you wont. Several years ago, at a shooting match in Ohio, several small business owners were talking. We all agreed that when a customer got too nasty we all would go out of our way to not deal with them. I go out of my way to make friends out of the diesel techs at my dealer. If they open the hood of my truck they get a $100 tip. They become friends real quick. Whatever I wont I get. I would recommend always tipping them. In the long run it is money very well spent. Try it. This is not meant for you Ozz. You are in business for your self and understand about the squeaky wheel.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:13 PM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Lynwood, you are on the mark. All my suppliers are treated like Gold, I take them food and treats all the time, when we order from them we always give them our account number right after the hello. Anything we can do to make their job easier, we do. It pays, we are well thought of, and anytime we call them for damaged equipment, or have a warranty issue, we know we will get good service. Good thoughts, my friend.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:17 AM   #11
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Ozz,
Have you tried going on "Ford Truck Enthusiasts" web site http://www.ford-trucks.com/? They have Ford truck division guys monitoring the site and will often request a PM from guys that are having issues with their trucks and/or Dealers. Then they will get involved by calling the dealer and advising them what to look for or do to fix the issue, or get the Ford engineers to call the dealer.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:24 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I'm so deep in it now, I think I need for it run it's course. Probably should have done this early on.
I am laying groundwork for future 'action'.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:34 AM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Ozz I'm sure you treat everybody like gold, you are a people person. What some do not understand is you never deal with a company, you deal with people, get to know them. Treat them like gold it will pay off. Believe this old business man the squeaky wheel does not get the grease. Who are you going to help your buddy or a jerk?
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That baffle in the muffler idea sounds worth suggesting to the tech.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
My plan is to stand off and leave it to them. Anything I would suggest could come back to bite me.
I remember my father telling me when you take something to get it repaired, if you suggest a remedy, they are inclined to change that part, or fix that, and look no further. I can see that in my customer interaction, if a customer tells me he thinks the thermostat is bad, it would be an easy sell when it is another component that is defective. You could fix the defective component, add on the new thermostat, tell the customer, 'You were right, the thermostat was bad, I put on a new one, I also changed a bad gas valve"
I do not work that way, but many do.
It would probably be presumptuous for me to suggest anything at this point anyway, as they have the District Ford engineer that is actually working on the truck along with the shop forman over at Crossley in Liberty.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:44 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Back in the Seventies I bought a brand new 1975 Chevy LUV pickup that spent most of it's short life in the service bay. Amonth many other problems, it would just up and stall on me after running a few miles. I'd crank it and it would run another few miles. Not fun on southern California freeways. Anyhow, the dealer couldn't find the problem. I studied the electrical schematics and found the voltage regulator had two sides feeding the fuel pump, one side for cranking and one for running. I suggested they check the regulator. They pooh pooed the idea a couple of times and finally checked it and problem solved. It would get juice to the fuel pump for cranking but not for running. So I'd crank it and it would pump fuel and fill the pump and lines. Then it would lose the ability to pump fuel after cranking. Soon as that fuel ran out it died. That was the end of that problem but another just took its place. Worst truck I ever owned. 15 months and I dumped it. My point is sometimes the experts are looking for a complex problem when the real problem is simple and right in front of them. It's easy for an expert to overlook the little things. But I do understand your reluctance to get involved with that. Hopefully they'll get it fixed for you.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote