Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2009, 06:19 AM   #1
f6maniac

M.O.C. #9817
Clunking when turning

I bought a 2010 3150RL about 6 weeks ago and have towed it about 500 miles so far. The first day I picked it up I took it to the local high school parking lot to practice backing up. Will backing and turning I noticed a loud clank sound and noticed that one of the wheels on the trailer was toed in significantly from the other wheel. I was concerned but thought this might be typical when the tires scrub in a turn. But now whenever I make a turn I can hear a clunking sound from the suspension. I dont know if its the Mor-ryde spring equalizer or one of the axles. Has anyone had a similar problem?

f6maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:51 AM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
I had that clunking sound happen when my unit was new. Now it does not happen much. The wheels will have a toe effect when turning sharp or backing at sharp angles. If you look at those rubber equalizers you will see they will flex all over the place. I think the springs will move some also.

I would crawl under there and check all the bolts and nuts you can find to make sure they are secure and tight. U-bolts, shackle bolts, and those 4 bolts holding the equalizer (rubber spring) in the bracket. Probably what your are experiencing is normal from what I have experienced. I think most of the loud noise you hear will calm down with time.

BTW I like your choice of floor plans.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:16 AM   #3
bobivy
Established Member

M.O.C. #9557
Any sharp turn will result in all sorts of scary noises from in and around the axles/wheels/etc. They are normal.
bobivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:16 AM   #4
f6maniac

M.O.C. #9817
Thanks for the reply. I already crawled under and torqued the axle U-bolts. I guess I will let the techs at the dealer look at it when I take in for a couple of cosmetic repairs noted in pre-delivery.
f6maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:40 AM   #5
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
I think the Mor-Ryde pin box will also clunk on tight turns and braking or starting.
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:29 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
When ever turning extremely sharp, as stated noises will be heard and the wheels will skew.

When backing into a tight spot, clunking and creaking and snapping noises will be heard and your tires will look like they are warped. When you encounter that situation, pull straight ahead after backing in and let the tires/wheels straighten out, then back in straight. If you have to do this couple times, so be it. If you leave them askew you could break the bead on the rim and end up with a flat, plust it's just to much strain on the system.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:52 AM   #7
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I agree Waynem on this. In a jack knife situation when backing and the tires skew, I always pull forward a foot or so to "unload" the side scuff. It makes me feel better not to see so much side force on the tire walls.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:11 AM   #8
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
All the above is good info and so very true. However, you may want to check the spring shackle bolts torque. On our very first outing to practice driving we had a shackle plate fall off onto the pavement. We had to call the dealer for emergency roadside repairs. Also you will find by doing a search on the forum of issues with shackle bolts not being torqued to the proper ft. lbs.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote