Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2017, 11:47 AM   #1
RetiredSubVet
Established Member

M.O.C. #19977
Fresh Water has a plastic aftertaste

I has searched the site and have not seen this specifically discussed, so if I missed it, my apologies. We recently purchased a 2018 3791RD and I really like most everything about it. Since we picked it up, I have always used one of those blue in-line carbon filters that you can get in Wal-Mart to supply our water. I come out of the spigot, through a pressure reducer, into the filter and then into the 5er. I have not used water out of the holding tank, although it is still about 1/3 as filled from the dealer (I plan on emptying it as soon as I get it back). I have read the posts on running some bleach water through the piping to disinfect everything, to include the holding tank, but is there anything else I can do to get rid of this aftertaste? I have ordered a 2 cartridge filter system from the RV Water Filter Store and will install this when I get my rig back from the dealer (in for warranty work) . My wife made me some tea using the water and I could not drink it due to that plastic aftertaste. Thanks for you assistance!!

2018 Montana 3791RD
RetiredSubVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:04 PM   #2
rsp
Established Member

M.O.C. #19696
When filling your water tank or connecting to a potable water supply make sure you use a RV water hose. If you use a standard water hose/garden hose it with leave a plastic type water taste. You didn't mention your hose type so this may solve your water taste problem
rsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:36 PM   #3
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
Some of it just takes some time for the plastic taste to fade as it is plumbed with PEX plastic lines. Also, if you haven't sanitized the tank and water system, I would do that the next chance you get as that does help improve it to over time. I use Sodium Dichlor instead of the Clorox Bleach method, sim to this approach

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=66148

mjammersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:51 PM   #4
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
We don't use fresh tank water for drinking, cooking, or pets. We don't even use RV park water for those things either.

We fill up a bunch of 1 gallon and 1/2 gallon fruit juice jugs at home (awesome well water) for short trips, and for long trips we use several of the big blue plastic 6 gallon jerry cans that are designated for water only.

When boondocking, our tank water only gets used for dish washing, showers, toilet, etc., etc..
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:41 AM   #5
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord View Post
We don't use fresh tank water for drinking, cooking, or pets. We don't even use RV park water for those things either.

We fill up a bunch of 1 gallon and 1/2 gallon fruit juice jugs at home (awesome well water) for short trips, and for long trips we use several of the big blue plastic 6 gallon jerry cans that are designated for water only.

When boondocking, our tank water only gets used for dish washing, showers, toilet, etc., etc..
WOW, So the tank water is safe for showers and dishes but nothing else? I need to start saving my one gallon jugs. Why would you not use it for what it's meant for? I'm sorry I no it's your choice and I guess it works for you. I just can't understand this. If I felt that the water was unsafe for pets or cooking, I wouldn't even shower with it.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:58 AM   #6
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
Actually that would be an interesting survey to see how many people drink/cook with the water from their water tank vs bringing separate water. Personally we use it for all purposes and the only time we bring any separate water is a 5 gallon collapsible jug of water to help extend our time without filling and that is used for drinking just out of convenience.

mjammersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:45 AM   #7
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
We never drink water from our fresh water tank. Just use it for flashing the John when on the road. But we never boondock. We do use the park water for showers. For drinking and cooking we run it though a Brita.
All water comming into the rig is run though a filter and a water softener.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:49 AM   #8
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
We have camping for close to fifty years have never drank or gave to our Dogs Campground Water.Just what we do!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:06 PM   #9
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeiss View Post
We have camping for close to fifty years have never drank or gave to our Dogs Campground Water.Just what we do!
Do your dogs ever drink from a river, creek or lake? Mine do and allways have. and they haven't died yet.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:37 PM   #10
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
My wife uses bottled water for drinking and cooking. I start with Diet Coke in the morning and sweet tea during the day. I fill 2 plastic milk jugs and freeze water from home to help the fridge get going. We filter the CG water for other uses but travel with 2/3 - 3/4 tank of FW from home "just in case". We were at a CG when their water main went and 2 days without CG water. Many left early. That tank is there for a purpose and if kept sanitized is fine.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:47 PM   #11
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord View Post

This is what we do. Looks like we aren't the only ones. We have better well water than any city water I've ever drank.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:16 PM   #12
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
I'm really sorry, but this is the strangest thread I've ever, EVER seen on this forum.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:23 PM   #13
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel B. View Post
Do your dogs ever drink from a river, creek or lake? Mine do and allways have. and they haven't died yet.

No they are pedigrees
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:36 PM   #14
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel B. View Post
WOW, So the tank water is safe for showers and dishes but nothing else? I need to start saving my one gallon jugs. Why would you not use it for what it's meant for? I'm sorry I no it's your choice and I guess it works for you. I just can't understand this. If I felt that the water was unsafe for pets or cooking, I wouldn't even shower with it.
I'm not saying that water from the fresh tank is not safe to ingest, I just prefer not having to taste it in my glass of water. Anyway, the tank water is pretty much always from my well, and if it isn't, it is from a city/municipal chlorinated source, so, of course it is safe. But, I can't abide drinking chlorinated water either.

Just my personal preference, I think that I'll stick with it.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:45 PM   #15
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
This is what we do. Looks like we aren't the only ones. We have better well water than any city water I've ever drank.
Lynwood
We are blessed with the best tasting well water too. No iron, extremely low mineral count (have to add minerals to the hot tub for optimum water chemistry).
It has spoiled me, and I almost never drink water at restaurants, unless it has had the fermented barley treatment. =O)
Old 07-14-2017, 06:49 PM   #16
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
City water is safe unless you live in some place like Detroit. If you get used to water without any chemicals in it you can't stand to even smell city water. That is why we take our water with us.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:51 PM   #17
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsp View Post
When filling your water tank or connecting to a potable water supply make sure you use a RV water hose. If you use a standard water hose/garden hose it with leave a plastic type water taste. You didn't mention your hose type so this may solve your water taste problem
Remember those halcyon days gone by, of your youthful summers when you kind of liked that plastic flavor as you drank from the green hose that had been baking in the sun all day?!
Old 07-14-2017, 10:09 PM   #18
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
We talk about taste while many, many FR owners talk about this as it is not rare;

CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:39 AM   #19
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
We talk about taste while many, many FR owners talk about this as it is not rare;

That almost happened to my sons OTB TT . A board broke on the bottom bunk bed when he took it apart he saw that the water tank (located under the bunk bed, had been leaking since new. Mold everywhere under the kids bunk. Seems the hose clamp was loose on the fill hose. He bought it new in 2011. Wood was rotted, it would have fallen through real son if he hadn't found it.