Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2005, 01:58 PM   #1
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Speaking of bikes, truck roof mount question

I know I have seen someone here at MOC has a truck roof mount bike system, could you make yourself known. I saw the photos of your bikes on top of your truck, and wanted to look again, and even tho I did a search, could not find ya!>G>G> I might have seen via someone's personal home page??

Who are you??

Thanks, Carol

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 07:01 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I must say, Countryguy, I didn't even know yorkies could ride a bike.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 12:25 AM   #3
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Stiles you are looking for trouble. Brace yourself for the comeback.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 12:27 AM   #4
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Carol: Have you two considered making one to fit the 5th hitch and mounting in front of the unit. We made one for our last unit.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:35 AM   #5
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Carol,
I would hate the hassle of getting our bikes all the way to the top of the truck. I bought a "hidden hitch" for the front of our truck from J.C. Whitney. It only took about 20minutes to install and if one of them should fall off I get first chance to run over it.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 02:15 AM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Stiles,

My yorkies, DO NOT ride, they are ABOVE that! HAHAHA, seriously, although some yorkies have the thrill of sitting in mom or dad's bike basket and going for a quiet little ride, well, you would have to meet my yorks. High strung, yep, and I would not trust them for one minute in a bike basket. Even chained down! (JOKE,ok!! ) Bill and Ann, was I hard enough on Stiles?? ha ha ah ha

Bill, we cannot get a bike rack on the hitch, remember we have the Isolator, Al looked long and hard and because of the movement of the Isolator has declared that there is no way a bike rack would work.

Charlie and Nila, the ease of getting the bikes up and down is a consideration, that is why I want to see the photo and show Al. He is not thrilled with the idea of the front bumper mount type of bike rack for truck, did that years ago with a moped, and NO we did not run over it! HA HA, just that he did not like looking through the bike to see the road.

All options are open, but he is not satisfied with the ladder mount idea. He has thought about the addition of a receiver behind and under Montana, but trying to find someone to do that for us around here is a joke. We cannot even get anyone to come look at a repair we need done on our roof on our stick built. Have called like 10 people and none of them ever show up! This has been going on for 2 years now.

So we are exploring all the options again. I really could have enjoyed and used a bike this last year in the Rio Grande, as I was like a mile from the swimming pool. I told Al that bike was going if I had to put it on his bed, well, I actually said the futon, but am rethinking that!

still looking for that someone who had the roof mounted bike rack for truck, just so we can look at the photos again. we need to make some kind of a decision about this in the next TEN years! ARGHHHHHHHH
Old 05-06-2005, 02:23 AM   #7
oldudbob
Established Member

M.O.C. #3640
Send a message via AIM to oldudbob
The following is a link to the Yakima Web Page. They offer a number of bike rack systems for carrying bicycles on the top of a vehicle. I have ownen a number of Yakima systems over the years and they are excellent systems. All three of my current vehicles have their racks on them.

http://www.yakima.com/home.html
oldudbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 02:38 AM   #8
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
thanks oldudbob!
Old 05-06-2005, 02:42 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, you will be at Bentsen Palm Village, right? Somewhere on their website it says they will LOAN you bicycles whenever you want!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 03:04 PM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
shhhh, Steve

Don't tell Al, I want to have the bikes for other places, other than Bentsen Palm Village Actually we knew that, but, hope that we will not need to rent them.

Thanks for remembering tho!

Carol

Old 05-06-2005, 11:39 PM   #11
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
CountryGuy go to www.e-trailer.com and find anything you want from hitches, bike racks etc... I ordered the Hidden Hitch bike rack for the front of my Dodge and in less than 15mins. it was on. $100.23 and no tax best of all. $16.00 for shipping and handling. They wanted $248.00 in Canada for it at the RV dealer, what a rip. Had it delivered to my Aunt in Mich.(4days) and popped it on in her driveway in no time.
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 12:55 AM   #12
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
mgdg: That sounds interesting. We took our bikes down in the truck bed. Put them in front of the hitch. Of course we didn't bring them home. Left them in the shed with our golf clubs.