Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2014, 01:27 PM   #21
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
No Tom S.. I have the tank removed from the rv. The tank came apart at the sprayer end so I can look in and see whats happening. I hooked the hose up directly to the sprayer fitting.

swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:22 AM   #22
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by swanny

No Tom S.. I have the tank removed from the rv. The tank came apart at the sprayer end so I can look in and see whats happening. I hooked the hose up directly to the sprayer fitting.
Is the output of water equal to the input from the hose, or does the sprayer seem to be restricting it? There are other brands on the market - you might want to replace it with one that works better while you have the tank out.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 03:56 AM   #23
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Mine works the same as the OP's, I have removed the anti siphon valve figuring that's why is didn't work good. Now it sure sounds like it is working and spraying the heck out of the tank but it ain't doing anything. Not sure where all the sound is coming from but very little water comes out of it. I have to let it run for a good while to get more water in so it will flush more out. If the head is what is being described it is no wonder. If the holes are that small they will definitely get clogged up over time, My old SOB had the Tornado and it did a great job of not just adding water to the tank but also spraying down the insides. Of course the Tornado probably costs a little more,,,,go figure....
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:02 AM   #24
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
the holes are like a kids squirt gun. its just not enough for a tank that's like 7' long and 2' wide and the nozzle is at the narrow end / elevated end. everything your trying to remove is 7' away.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:02 AM   #25
Temecula
Established Member

M.O.C. #15816
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by oldelmer1

We did the ABS tank repair too, thanks to OZZ also. Worked fine.

http://www.amazon.com/Plasti-Mend-Pl...rds=abs+repair

Temecula, seems lots of us have the seepage from one of the tanks. Lots of us have installed a gate valve on the dump pipe.

http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-T...=rv+gate+valve

This stops the surprise when you remove the cap.
Thanks Oldelmer1 I've been looking at that valve to buy. We have a appt. with the dealer we bought our RV through on Thursday to see if they will fix it under warrenty first....
Temecula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:54 PM   #26
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
When I installed the gate valve,I drilled a hole thru the new gate valve housing and into the pipe, then put a short screw into the hole to keep the new valve from unscrewing off the pipe.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #27
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by oldelmer1

When I installed the gate valve,I drilled a hole thru the new gate valve housing and into the pipe, then put a short screw into the hole to keep the new valve from unscrewing off the pipe.
I Hard plumbed in a terminal gate valve instead of using a twist on one. That way, I know it will be there forever, instead of rattling off somewhere on the highway or getting snatched by someone that thinks they need it more than I do.

For those that are considering a Tornado black tank flush head, just be aware that something that has moving parts is more prone to failure, or not working as designed due to being "gummed" up. Sure, when it's new, it probably does clean the walls of the tank better than the stock spray head, but what happens when it fails to spin? At best, it will clean the same as the stock one, or the spinning part of the head falls off and it squirts water in one large stream in one direction.

When I use my stock flush, I use a dedicated grey water hose, with no pressure regulator. Once the tank has drained, I close the knife valve and let the tank fill for a while, then re-drain the black tank. It sounds quite vigorous against the sides of the empty tank.

However, ...I am under no illusion that it will ever get the black tank squeaky clean, but it is better than just a plain tank dumping, and I won't ever have to replace it due to a mechanical failure.

I imagine that a failing anti-siphon valve could have a detrimental effect on the efficiency of the spray head though. Some day, I will remove my anti-siphon valve, just to be rid of another failure prone part that was supplied to Keystone by the lowest bidder.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:17 AM   #28
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
After watching videos, which compared the three methods of rinsing a black tank (1) stock OEM tank flush (2) exterior gate valve w/hose connection (3) direct flush through toilet, I have come to the conclusion that all three have the same results. Since the discharge pipe for the black tank isn't exactly even with the bottom of the tank, rinsing will never get every single piece of foreign matter out of the tank.

I will probably quit using the OEM tank flush altogether, especially since it will more than likely fail some day anyway. For warmer weather I am using my exterior gate valve w/hose connection to back flush and fill for rinses. Right now when it is cold outside I am putting warm water down the toilet to rinse. I think no matter what method you use, as long as you put in 15 - 20 gallons of water a couple of times you will get a good rinse.