Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
cgaskins
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10861
Summer 2013 Trip

I am looking for some route advice for our summer trip next summer. We are going to spend the last week of June and the first two weeks of July in New Mexico and western Colorado. We will be towing or 38 foot 5th wheel Montana.

Here a few of the routes I am considering, if you have any comments or advice on them please share it:

US285 from Fort Stockton to Carlsbad, NM

US285 from Carlsbad, NM to Santa Fe, NM

US84 from Santa Fe, NM to Pagosa Springs, CO

US160 from Pagosa Springs, CO to Durango, CO

US550 from Durango, CO to Montrose, CO

US50 from Montrose, CO to Grand Junction, CO

I70 from Grand Junction, CO to Frisco, CO

Colorado 9 from Frisco, CO to Breckenridge, CO

I70 from Frisco, CO to Denver, CO

We are planning on staying in the following towns for the trip and are also eager for any feedback on places to stay and things to do:
- Carlsbad, NM
- Santa Fe, NM
- Durango, CO
- Montrose, CO
- Breckenridge, CO

Thanks,
Chris

cgaskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you're an Escapee there is a SKP park in Lakewood just north of Carlsbad. They have a special price if you haven't been there before. Ugly scenery (oil wells etc) but really nice friendly folks. Also, if you are into Art or history you need to take in the Museum in Roswell. Great art collection and the best collection of indian artifacts and conquistador artifacts I seen. They also have the workshop and other artifacts from Goddard the father of rocket science. Didn't care for the alien stuff, but that's there in town also.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:03 AM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Quote:
quote:
US84 from Santa Fe, NM to Pagosa Springs, CO
We most frequently go on up to Taos before heading to Pagosa Springs, but the road from Chama, NM to Pagosa Springs (US 84) is one of our favorite drives--beautiful views, not to be missed.
Quote:
quote:US160 from Pagosa Springs, CO to Durango, CO
Pretty well the only way to go. We enjoy the area around Vallecito Lake while at Durango.
Quote:
quote:US550 from Durango, CO to Montrose, CO
OK, this is a decision to make. As for me, this is one route I have decided NOT to tow. We especially enjoy Ouray, but have never towed over "the Million Dollar Highway." We have driven it many times. It would be an adventure to tow portions of this route--an adventure I've decided not to enjoy!
Quote:
quote:Colorado 9 from Frisco, CO to Breckenridge, CO
Pretty well the only way in. No problem. We've never stayed at Tiger Run, but it is a true RV resort.
Quote:
quote:- Carlsbad, NM
We stayed right in the town of Carlsbad because of convenient location. It had mixed reviews, but we found it to be just fine.
Quote:
quote:- Santa Fe, NM
We recommend "Santa Fe Skies" about 10 miles from the Plaza out toward Albuquerque. We have also stayed at "Ranchos De Santa Fe" out the other direction on I-25.
Quote:
quote:- Durango, CO
We stayed at "United RV Park" on the edge of town right on the narrow gauge railroad. We'd probably try something different next time. See comments about Vallecito Lake above.
Quote:
quote:- Breckenridge, CO
Have never stayed there in an RV, but have friends who love Tiger Run.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
cgaskins
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10861
David and Shirley,

Thanks for the detailed reply. I have already received advice not to attempt the US550 run from Durango to Montrose with my rig. I am now going to use the following route:

From Durango take US160 to Cortez, CO. From Cortez take Colorado 145 across the mountains and through Lizard Head Pass to Placerville, CO. Just past Placerville, take Colorado 62 to Ridgeway, CO. In Ridgeway, take US550 north to Montrose.

I appreciate the RV park recommendations... I will have to check into Sante Fe Skies - we were considering the Santa Fe KOA as it got good reviews. For Durango we were considering Alpen Rose RV Park. Do you know anything about it? We were planning on staying at Tiger Run in Breckenridge. In Montrose we were considering Cedar Creek RV Park.

Thanks again for the good information!

Regards,
Chris
Old 10-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Quote:
quote:From Durango take US160 to Cortez, CO. From Cortez take Colorado 145 across the mountains and through Lizard Head Pass to Placerville, CO. Just past Placerville, take Colorado 62 to Ridgeway, CO. In Ridgeway, take US550 north to Montrose.
While I have not towed from Cortez to Ridgeway, I know of no problems with this route. Just two comments. 1>You probably know that Mesa Verde National Park is near Cortez. We stayed at a very nice RV park across the highway from the entrance to the Park. 2>at Ridgeway you are very close to Ouray and there is no problem coming in to Ouray from the North. It's one of our favorite little towns, has a city pool with natural hot springs.

Quote:
quote:I appreciate the RV park recommendations... I will have to check into Sante Fe Skies - we were considering the Santa Fe KOA as it got good reviews. For Durango we were considering Alpen Rose RV Park. Do you know anything about it? We were planning on staying at Tiger Run in Breckenridge. In Montrose we were considering Cedar Creek RV Park.
I'd put Santa Fe Skies at the top. KOA is out past Ranchos De Santa Fe, east of town. We've never stayed there, but have driven past it several times. We did drive out to the Alpen Rose in Durango. It would be on my list to consider. I've never stayed at Montrose. Our regular stop is Gunnison or Buena Vista.

As you can see, you are in "my neck of the woods." Let me know if I can share any more information (or opinions.)
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
cgaskins
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10861
Thanks David and Shirley - we appreciate the input and advice. If you are ever in Austin - send me a PM.

-Chris
Old 10-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #7
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Chris,
No need to go to Cortez. Take 184 from Mancos to Delores and shave off a few miles and traffic. They were doing extensive roadwork this past summer between Cortez and Mancos. Believe it will be an on going project.
Smart move passing on Silverton to Ouray, one lane closed in a couple of places due to road cave in. I personally would not put that kind of stress on my TV and RV.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote