Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2006, 11:52 AM   #1
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
full timing tricks for the 3655FL

Hello all. This is my first post on the MOC, thanks to richfaa for turning us on to this great resource! I am amazed at the amount of info that is available on this site.
My husband and I have purchased a 3655fl Montana to live in while I finish school in Southern Ca. We were having a hard time finding an apartment that wanted to take 2 dogs and a cat, so we decided to take our house with us!
Are there any MOC members out there willing to share some tricks regarding full timing it in the 3655fl? Any and all information would be appreciated. We have only had one RVing trip in it thus far, and that was when we drove from our home in Livingston,Montana to Knoxville TN and back to pick it up! Who would have thought that getting gas could be such a monster ordeal? We certainly have a lot to learn!
Thanks to all,
tara krumm

txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:59 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Tara,
Welcome to the MOC!! We are sure glad to have you join us.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:58 AM   #3
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Hi Tara,

Welcome aboard!

We're not fulltiming yet but we do live in SoCal. Where will you be going to school?

Ken
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:00 AM   #4
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Welcome Tara to the MOC. We cant help you much as far as fulltiming in the front livig room model. But we do love to stay for extended weeks in ours.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:34 AM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Hi Tara!

We are getting ready to Fulltime (FT) in a few weeks. I believe that most tricks/tips are general ideas that will be very helpful to you from any FTer. There are probably some specific 3655FL questions, though, too.

You will need a new folder on your hard drive to copy and paste (Word docs?) all the ideas you will be flooded with on here. Also the "search" at the top of the page can be very helpful. Many things that pop up have been thrashed to death (not sure about that wording - just first thing that came to mind...) already on this forum, and this could contain a wealth of info for you. However, this does not preclude you from asking away for an answer to any question you feel the need to ask.

Also, here is a site to bookmark. It is an incredible resource for just about any question/product related to Montanas and RVing in general. This has put together by our very own, incredibly talented, Glenn Adams. I would definitely plan on spending some quality time on here: http://montanaowners.com/

Also - a very recent thread may be very handy to copy off. Look for the "snfexpress" response (3rd one down) on: Michael's Great List (Thanks for your instruction, Glenn, on how to rename URLs!)

Welcome to the MOC forum. You ain't seen nothin yet...

*On Edit! How did I get that ""angry face" smilie on my post??? Better check to see if that got set as a "default" smilie somehow...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:29 AM   #6
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Welcome and congratulations on acquiring a Montana. We don't full time, so can't help you there, but I'm sure some of the full timers will be happy to answer any questions you might have. Enjoy your new "apartment".
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:47 AM   #7
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Welcome to you both. This is the greatest information source you can get regarding the MOntana and living in it. We fulltime as do many others and enjoy it immensely! One thing to remember is to have fun doing it, and make sure the kids (CRITTER KIDS) ENJOY IT TOO!!!!
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 02:02 PM   #8
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I do full-time, but not in the unit described, but depending on how long you decide to full-time in your unit, I would strongly suggest you write down a schedule for checking your systems and doing routine maintenance. Such as pulling your slides in every so often (maybe every 3 months), and keeping UV protection on vital areas etc...and flushing your hot water tank on a schedule. I would just make a list of all your systems and come up with a time frame on when you will check on them and/or do maintenance. Its easy to ignore things you don't see. That's my only suggestion for you right now. I wish you all the luck and have a nice summer! Allison
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:09 PM   #9
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Thanks all for your replies. We will be living in Colton, CA which is right between LA and Palm Springs. The place we have tenatively picked is Reche Canyon RV estates. Anyone familiar with it?
I will be finishing my residency at two hospitals, Arrowhead Regional Hospital and Loma Linda. Ken and Tina, we have purchased a care free add a room very similar to the one in your pics! Might need some advice on getting it up.
I informed Steve about this website and poor guy stayed up till 1:30 last am gleaning every bit of info he could! It is very addictive!
I am finishing school now in Bismarck, ND. Five more weeks there then home to Montana for three weeks of rest. We should be leaving our home in MT for Cali by August 15th. There is so much to do we feel overwhelmed and don't know where to start! We appreciate all your help and advice; I am grateful for this forum and the opportunity to learn from you all.
Pics to follow as soon as we figure THAT out too...
Thanks again,
tara and steve
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:13 PM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
There are several MOCers here that can help you on posting your pics, Tara. Just let us know if you want someone here to explain how to do that.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 04:57 PM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Tara
Reche Canyon was originally a mobile home park and since most mobile home parks in California are for seniors you will probably be with a lot of senior citizens. Which of course is not bad but mobile home parks were a popular form of retirement in the 70's. Those people are now in their 80's or 90's. Since you can check it out first, I would suggest not signing a long term committment until you are there. We aren't far from Colton so PM us if you need help.
Happy trails...............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:25 PM   #12
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Welcome! We are Full Timers (3 years) and in a 3655FL! Love the front living room set up!

Some things we did to the RV...got rid of one of the two recliners. That freed up the desk area. We also got rid of 2 of the dining room chairs, and bought two nice maple folding chairs. We keep one in the living room, folded up and standing just to the right of the couch, against the pantry wall, and one in the front end "basement" for use with when "extra" company comes. Seats 4 comfortably in the LR with that chair, the recliner and the sofa.

Routine maintenance hasn't been a problem..just keep at it, bit at a time...washing, cleaning, keeping parts lubed and, if necessary, cycle them now and again(slides in particular). If you are going to be "in place" for over a month, I would consider getting some jacks under the frame to keep the weight off the tires. In Calif, (smog and ozone aznd lots of UV rays) tire covers are good for an extended stay.

Above all, do a "Search" in the Forum for specific topics. Lots of really good info out there!!
....drop me an e-mail if you have specific question, esp. re the FL model, you can't find or are confused about.

Best regards,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 05:02 PM   #13
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
You might also want to check out a great RV club, the SKPs. Their main thrust is fulltimers and fulltimer wantabes, but everyone is welcome. You don't have to be a member to use most of their web site and forums. Go to www.escapees.com
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote