Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2006, 07:49 AM   #1
Montana_5621
Established Member

M.O.C. #5621
Long or short bed truck

How do you know what you need in a pickup regarding a long or short bed, or doesn't it matter?
We are contemplating buying a 3400Rl.
Thanks
Al

Montana_5621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:01 AM   #2
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
We have the 2005 3400RL and aren't sure of the changes they might have made to the 2006, but we have the long bed because Paul said he didn't like replacing the rear window...Now you can get the slider hitch and go with a short bed. Paul makes those decisions and that is what he made. I think they have changed the front cap on the 2006's so that you can have a short bed but don't quote me on that one. Someone will come along and give you more advice from their experience. Hang in there they will be along soon...
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:26 AM   #3
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
If you go to the SEARCH functionat the top of the page and enter the words "Tow Vehicles" you will get a bunch of references. I pulled up the one below because it specifically discusses the 3400. Snoop around. There are all sorts of things on this forum. Enjoy.

Bill

http://montanaadministrator.forumco....w,vehicles.asp
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:35 AM   #4
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
As for the long vs short bed, both will work just fine. Other factors will likely determine which one you choose. As a general rule, short bed trucks require a slider hitch so the RV does not hit the cab of the truck in a tight turn. There are exceptions to that rule, however. First of all, the new Montys have a new front cap design that adds clearance between the RV and the truck cab. Second, all short bed pick-ups are not the same. According to the makers of one of the most popular slider hitches, Dodges have the least clearance and therefore are most likely to require a slider hitch. GM products have the greatest clearance and are least likely to need a slider. Ford is in the middle somewhere. Slider hitches are more expensive than standard hitches ... unless you go with an automatic slider hitch, in which case the hitch is a LOT MORE expensive than standard hitches. No clearance problems with a long bed.

BTW, you are likely to get more responses to your question if you post it in the Tow Vehicle and Towing Forum rather than here. I recommend you do that.

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:48 AM   #5
Montana_5621
Established Member

M.O.C. #5621
Thank you all for your helpful responses
Al
Montana_5621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:42 AM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Al -

Although this is a fulltimer's section, those of us who only dream about fulltiming or will do partial fulltiming consider gagarge space. A full length bed on a 2500 HD Silverado with Extended Cab would require modifying the garage door so that it didn't hit the windshield when it went down (just kidding). Actually, it wouldn't fit in my garage at all legthwise. Plus, for me anyway, turning an extended cab with a short bed is already difficult in skinny mall parking lots. I can only imagine what it would be like in the long bed. We also have the 3400 and went with the Reese slider hitch. Many people love the Pullrite Superglides because of the automatic cam action on the slider.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:36 PM   #7
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I have a long bed it comes in handy like the other day when I picked up our Golf Cart.A short bed you would have to leave the tail gate down.Also addition storage in the bed when towing the Monty and with the long wheel base gives you a great ride.The only negitive is parking and if you have a small garage.Like my buddy told me when I was debating Long Vs Short if you what a truck get a truck I have never regretted getting the 8 ft bed but I use it for more than just pulling the Monty
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:42 PM   #8
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
One of my old Park managers got a crew cab with a long b ed, and the rest of the managers hacked on him about having to license it in two states (since he was on the southern border of Ks) needing the rear steering wheel (like the big hook and ladder trucks) and so on and on... It was all very much fun, but those full legnth, crew cabs are indeed REALLY long. Turning radius when you get a 4x4 is not too tight, so adding the legnth means you will be parking way out in the back of beyond so you don't have to worry about trying to fit into a parking spot...
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:28 PM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Hands down, Shortbed.
Without the trailer it's easier to park at the Wal*Mart. Won't stick out a extra foot plus.
More maneuverable especially with the trailer in those tight RV parks. Not every site is a pull thru.
As far as the ride, I have never noticed a difference when driving my shortbed compared to my buddies longbed
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 05:02 PM   #10
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
This is one of those topics that you'll find everyone thinks they have the best setup. It's the same as asking what truck to get and you'll again get biased opinions. I would suggest you evaluate your overall needs and intended use of the truck, factor in what you personally like and evaluate the comments provided in this post. Bottom line is both long bed and short bed setups work!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:23 PM   #11
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
Some one can help maybe, but I heard with the new front cap on the Montanas, you can use a short bed without the slider hitch and be safe. Thats what I was told. Will not swear to it, just brouht it up for validity.
FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 01:57 AM   #12
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
We just made this decision and I decided to go with the long bed just because I didn't want tight clearance tolerances and I wanted to outfit it with a toolbox and some added carrying room. I had never owned a truck before and it was a bear to get into tight spots. However, over time it just becomes something you get use to and the long turning radius doesn't seem to bother me much. Yes, I do park out a bit further at Wall Mart but I need the exercise. I suggest you follow the advice of others that have said look at what you want out of the truck and go with it. I think they are all pretty much the same. We have a Dodge Quad Cab 8 Ft Bed, dually with the Cummins 5.9L Diesel.
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:21 PM   #13
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
rames14,

Regarding the long bed and turning radius, etc., let me tell you that we were in the hills the other day four wheeling looking for a great hot spring, and while I got a little Nevada pin-striping (sage brush marks on the sides of the p-up), I didn't have any problems negotiating the jeep trail. When I got home, I took it through a car wash and all is good.

As far as the turning radius, I can pull a U-ey in 2 lanes - not bad.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 04:36 AM   #14
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I like the long bed with the fixed stationary hitch, I can put my 2 bikes, generator, cook stove, fencing for the dog, my rug, wood to burn, burn barrel, and still hook up easily and go down the hwy. you will not get that in a 6 foot with a slider hitch.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:53 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RangerMelB

One of my old Park managers got a crew cab with a long b ed, and the rest of the managers hacked on him about having to license it in two states (since he was on the southern border of Ks) needing the rear steering wheel (like the big hook and ladder trucks) and so on and on... It was all very much fun, but those full legnth, crew cabs are indeed REALLY long. Turning radius when you get a 4x4 is not too tight, so adding the legnth means you will be parking way out in the back of beyond so you don't have to worry about trying to fit into a parking spot...
Mel, with the new Fords (2005 and later) the 4x4 actually turns in a six foot shorter circle than does the 4x2 with same cab and bed configuration. The 4x4 has the new front end. The 4x2 does not. But you are correct for all other situations.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 03:12 PM   #16
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Have to say I really like the short bed. We have the Pullrite and have had no problem. Like Glenn, I like being able to park my truck at Walmart without having to go all the way down to the end of the parking lot like I did with my old 1500 long bed. I did give up storage space with the short bed, but all I keep in there is the extra blocking material.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:09 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have a cross-bed toolbox in our shortbed and it is crammed full. I really have not missed the longbed (last one I had was a 1992 model). I still park way out, though. I am trying to avoid those door dings. And we need the exercise anyhow.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 06:17 PM   #18
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

with the new Fords (2005 and later) the 4x4 actually turns in a six foot shorter circle than does the 4x2 with same cab and bed configuration. The 4x4 has the new front end. The 4x2 does not. But you are correct for all other situations.
Steve i have to agree with you. I went from a '04 Crew long box F350 to a '06 Dually F350 long box and even with this one being a dually I can turn a tighter circle than the old one would. Makes it nice when I have to admit I missed my turn off and have to do a u-turn in the highway.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:20 PM   #19
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
This truck has been a very solid towing machine for me. I cannot find a reason to trade in for anything different.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote