Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2006, 02:37 PM   #1
Wagonmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3754
Now the fun starts..

After kicking it around for six months we have decided to go full time. The stone house goes on the market in May. Now cames the fun of getting rid of 45 years of accumulation of stuff. Oh well one step at a time. We are going to use the present Monty for now. If we really enjoy it we are looking at maybe a new 3400. We have had zero problems with this one except for one electrical problem. Jack, Janet & Koko

Wagonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 03:09 PM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We're right with you, Jack and Janet. We're working on getting packed up and dispursing our stuff among the kids, first of all. There's a lot to do, including the sale of furniture, a car and a pontoon boat. But we feel that we've made the right decision. Sometimes making the decision is the hardest part. Good luck with all your preparations.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 01:52 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Like Judy says, "Sometimes making the decision is the hardest part."
Your next big decision is what to do with the "45 years of accumulation of stuff".
Do we store, give it away, sell it or what?

BUT when it's all said and done you will be pondering why you hadn't done it earlier.
Lorraine and I made the decision nearly 3 years ago. It took 6 months to sell the house and get rid of all the stuff and after 2 1/2 years we haven't looked back.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 02:08 AM   #4
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
October 2001. That is when we said, Let's do it. We have had so much fun, met the nicest people in the world and it hasn't slowed up yet. You will find people who can't understand it, you will find people who envy you, but you will find those free spirits who know life is what you do, not what you own.
Enjoy the adventure.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 04:38 AM   #5
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Great decision Jack and Janet. If you enjoy it half as much as we do, you'll be happy.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 05:21 AM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Sounds like this is a great decision for you folks. Our decision came as a result of my exposure to elderly folk while doing mental health care in a nursing home. The chief regret these people had was that they had not risked enough. Because of that, they had missed life by playing it safe. They taught me to think outside the box, to color outside the lines. Fulltiming is outside the box an I love it..... Happy fulltiming
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:14 AM   #7
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
Best of luck to you! Judy, you must have firmed up that decision after we talked, I understood you were still pondering. Maybe one day we can have a full timers get together for us who made the decision and went full time. I know that having someone who understands what its like is so important! (Thanks to Vicki R)
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:12 PM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Kim, by the time we returned from our trip to Georgia, Nashville, and the extra week in Pigeon Forge we realized that we needed to be on the road. We went to Pigeon Forge because we didn't want to come home! Now with a son and family in Texas, a daughter in Alabama and another son and wife in Illinois and with a grandson soon to move to Kentucky, there was no way that we could stay at home. Our family is spread all over so we just think that we should be living on wheels so we can go visit everyone...and invade their lives.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:27 PM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Jack and Janet,
Congrats on your new lifestyle. I am very envious of you being able to hit the road fulltime, I cannot wait for the day I can do the same. Hope you have many, many happy miles ahead.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:20 PM   #10
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Welcome to the world of the "extended vacation." The hardest part for us was making the decision to do this. After we finally committed to doing it, the rest was easy. We are the "new kids on the block" with only six months under our belst, but we still feel we are on an extended vacation and wonder when it will quit. Good luck and we hope to see you down the road!
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 07:17 AM   #11
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Congrats Jack & Janet!
That's a decision you'll not regret! I'll say ditto to all that Glen said. We put our house up for sale this last March, packed up the Montana with essentials, gave our kids our furniture and family keepsakes (at least those that I could part with), and things we were not sure we wanted to get rid of yet, we put into storage. We figure 1 year and we'll then be able to say, gee, I didn't miss it at all and then get rid of more. So far... we don't miss any of it. Plus it was almost like Christmas for the kids, as they got so much "good stuff" as they put it, it has made their lives easier too. After it was all said and done, we were forced to decide what really is important and what is not, and then it was like a big weight lifted from the shoulders. So......now........

Life is GOOD!
Enjoy your new lifestyle!

Joy
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 07:45 AM   #12
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I like giving stuff to the kids better than selling it. The price is never very good anyway when you sell something.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:51 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
For those that have done this they already know the advantages of having your "stuff" sold at auction by a licensed auctioneer.We did this with the left over stuff at our parents home after they both passed away and was amazed at the amount of Dollars we got from stuff that we considered mostly junk.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:10 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Congratulations, Jack and Janet! You have completed the toughest part - the decision to do it.

We stored the things we cannot replace or couldn't bear to part with. Gave the kids everything they wanted. Sold a few things to neighbors who asked (the snowblower, for one), gave a bunch to a local charity, a shelter for the homeless, then called an auction service that deals with "live estates." They picked up everything and sent us a check a few weeks later. Couldn't have been easier.

We've completed 3 years and 1 month of fulltiming and have not regretted a single minute of it. We have members here who have done ten years and more and are still going. I hope you enjoy your fulltime life as much as we are enjoying ours.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote