Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2006, 11:35 PM   #21
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
Something else to consider, the artic package. We have it and find our rig stays cooler than others without it. We stay in Az for the winter, so don't get the extreme heat, but when it's 90 outside, even with one AC we stay comfortable. Extra insulation will also save on power bills.

smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 01:02 AM   #22
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Sorry for your problems FT Army but Montana does support us full timers. Many of our full timer MOC members have had their rigs serviced at the Montana Service Center in Goshen without problems and the folks at Keystone knew full well they were full timers. This service included warranty and non-warranty work.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 04:18 AM   #23
FT Army

M.O.C. #5348
Thank you everyone, I hope your Keystone products last forever. Montana is the number one seller, and there is a reason for that. Keystone spends 85 % of its market research on design of the interior. They market there traliors to be pretty and they sell to the women. I wish they would have spend more time on the mechanicial area's. Oh by they way another montana was in park a few months back, he had a bucket in the front storage area to catch the water from the shower drain. I dont have that ability. I bet all montana owners who read this will go check there drains today. Good Luck
FT Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 05:23 AM   #24
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
***** some unnecessary verbage deleted ****

Four of the five problems you listed are from equipement that is common to the majority of RV makes. Keystone buys the Fantastic fan, AC, fireplace, and axles from the same suppliers that everybody else does.

Maybe you want to wait until you have used your new RV a few times before you start painting every Keystone product with the same brush.

I bet all Montana owners don't take you too seriously and this will be my last post on this issue because I have learned the golden rule of forum posting....

**** Additional verbage deleted as deemed unnecessary by MOC Admin ****
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 05:48 AM   #25
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Quote:
quote:Keystone spends 85 % of its market research on design of the interior.
93.27% of all statistics are made up on the spur of the moment.

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 01:53 PM   #26
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We've lived in our 3555RL for almost 6 years, full time. After we lived in it awhile we found little things that we would've liked different, but we're satisfied. We've never found a newer one with the things we REALLY want but will wait until we see the perfect one. Whatever you do, Make sure you can get to the refrigerator while traveling. A lot of RVs, when the slides are in, do not permit moving around the kitchen, or getting into the reefer. We don't have that problem but know people who do.
Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 04:06 PM   #27
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Welcome aboard! I may have a bit of a different view..We've been full timers for almost 3 years. But we started out with the intention of going away from where we were and traveling. The Monty has done fine job in that plan.

If, however, you are not going to be traveling, you lose the advantage of the Montana (or any other RV). We are in Tucson at the moment, at a very nice RV Resort which also has many "park models". Resales seem to be brisk in those. If you haven't already done so, you might want to consider "downsizing" into one of those in the Phoenix area until retirement time makes travel a viable plan. The RV life-style will still be there for you, but you will have avoided the expense of the TV and the Monty. A very nice "experenced" park model can be found, in place, for around 30-40k. Just a matter of selecting the RV "park" facility most convenient to look into, and resale should be a fairly easy thing later down the road.

You can do your "downsize", and be very prepared for your new travel adventures in a NEW Monty when the retirement time time really rolls around. This Spring should be a great time to pick up an "exerienced" park model in Phoenix/Mesa. Get as much air conditioning as you can find!!

I know that isn't the question you asked, but opinions are sought. IF you decide to go with a Monty for "full time", I would advise one of the larger ones, certainly two 15K BTU air conditioners for Phoenix. Our '03 MOnty had done very well so far. We only have one AC, but son't intend to be anywhere that it is "stressed". That is the beauty of travel with the Monty.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:29 AM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by FT Army

I can tell you without a dought that a Montana or any other Keystone product, if you use it for fultiming will not support you and your family. I have an 05 3685FL that I ve had to peace together over the last year. After fighting with the factory I said forget it and ordered a Doubletree 36 TK3 Elite Suite.

If you full time in this trailor the factory will tell you that they dont support fulltime use. In saying that it is exceptable to them after 3 months of use for the following problems to exist.

Shower break away from wall and water leak under the floor fro drain.
Fire Place broke
Fantastic fan broke
AC freeze up
wheels lock up after setting a few weeks.

***** Comment deleted that does not add anything constructive to posting. Edited by MOC Admin. *****
I absolutely and 100% disagree with the comment that if you are fulltiming Keystone will not support you. Keystone does not care whether we are fulltiming or not. We have been twice to the Factory service center for work and they KNOW we are fulltimers.

Why on earth would anyone think how much time you spend in your Montana would have any impact whatsoever on the warranty. Nowhere in the warranty does it say anything about fulltiming. The only reference anywhere is in the rig's manual where it says it is not intended for four season living. All they are saying is it might freeze up if it gets cold enough, for example.

Sorry, my button got pushed. I may come back and delete this later.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 11:28 AM   #29
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I think pushing buttons was his intent, Steve. Admin. has since locked his account out.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 02:07 PM   #30
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Some people are never happy. I have the bucket under my shower like FTArmy posted only because I haven't had the time to fix the problem. It is a minor problem, our washer/dryer shakes when it spins and has loosened the connections. I got into the basement and fixed everything, but had to do some engineering and the long and short loosened the drain. I just need to get some plumbers putty and it is fixed. Until that time, I will have the bucket under the drain.

Steve, I agree with Dave. I have let off steam also because I read the posts and just get to the point I can't stand it anymore. You verbalized what 99.9999% of us have thought when we read the posts. You have nothing to delete.

Oh, by the way, welcome to our forum. We are really like a large extended family on this forum.

gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:52 AM   #31
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
One thing I might bring up, but it isn't fun, is that your house will probably appreciate more than most investments out there, giving you more money to travel with when you can retire and sell it later on.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:27 AM   #32
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
Park Models: lots here in Yuma, and some very nice. We considered having one here but decided against it. The park we are in is having "management problems." The current manager seems to think we are here only for her to make profit from, has cut services and upped the rent. So much for keeping your customers satisfied! We are now very glad that we can just hook on and move! Have booked at a different park for next year. Just something to consider.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote