Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2014, 06:27 PM   #1
campfishhavefun
Established Member

M.O.C. #10206
Grease Seals

I know there is a lot of experienced 2955RL folks on the forum here. We own a beautiful 2003 model & it passes for almost brand new. We take Great Pride in ownership & spend hours in maintenance in and out....

It has been a few years back since pulling my hubs to do Brake Inspection. If all is well I plan to Clean grease out repack and new Seals. They are the Dexter EZ-Lube zert setups & I have always warmed up the axles(few miles) & raised each wheel & pumped grease through as suggested by Dexter. I have six 14oz Kendall Blue L427 Grease tubes to replace lube and plan on buying the seals to have on hand so I can do it once and do it right.

Problem is I'm having a senior moment and for the life of me I can't remember where I wrote down the size and if the Grease Seals are 1.9 or 2.3 or 2.5 ? I'd like to have materials in hand before beginning to save on working twice.

Thanks Guys,
Blessings

campfishhavefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:05 AM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I also wanted seals on hand before tearing down things. Crawled under rig, got axle number from axle, which is stamped into the tube, and called Dexter. The lady I talked to was able to give me any of the specs I needed, part numbers and all. She was also willing to take my order and send them to me, but I already had a trailer supply store local. If everything is still as delivered from factory, they keep all that info in their system.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:24 AM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Once you get the number of the seals, get them locally from a trailer parts store. Unless you are just flush with cash, Dexter will charge you an arm and part of a leg for those seals that can be had for about $4 each locally. Brand "X" will work equally as well for a wheel seal. I've bought them from Redneck Trailer Sales for years with good results.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:19 PM   #4
campfishhavefun
Established Member

M.O.C. #10206
Thanks rohrmann & Dieselguy,

Was looking for easy way out....hoping someone may recall the part size. The rig is in a storage yard on gravel with tight spacing between units, little tough crawling down length to axles but doable.

What area of the axle did you find the the numbers stamped into. Top/bottom/side end or middle?

Thanks
Blessings,
Old 04-26-2014, 05:05 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I went and looked at the spares I carry ... have your local trailer supply cross reference if they don't carry Transcom seals
22333TBN is the Transcom number
ID 2.25"
OD 3.376"
I have no affiliation with the following, but it's good reference material if you read thru.
http://www.pacifictrailers.com/22333...e-42-spindles/
On edit ... perhaps you should pull a wheel and measure your seal surface. Somewhere around 98 the seal surface diameter went from 2.125" to 2.25" for the same 5200-7000# axles. The seal for the 2.125" would be a 21334TB. My 05 and 2011 Montana used the 22333TBN seals ... I don't remember as to my 2000 Montana. Sorry about just almost definitively answering your question.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:35 PM   #6
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Here is a website that should be the proper seal for your application: http://www.pacifictrailers.com/22333...e-42-spindles/

There are crossovers to other seal manufacturers numbers as well.

Hope that helps.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:01 PM   #7
campfishhavefun
Established Member

M.O.C. #10206
Thanks D
Best bet is to reference axle number & give Dexter boys a ring. Situation does not allow me to leave rig in the air long minus wheels. Ideally would be to check the shaft with a caliper mic.

Again Thank You for going out and check the spares you carry.

Blessings,
Old 04-26-2014, 06:28 PM   #8
campfishhavefun
Established Member

M.O.C. #10206
Thanks Irlpguy,
Was checking out etrailers version of a ez-lube Grease seals. They consist of a stainless steel ring a small o-ring and a double lip seal (3 pieces). Video adjacent to the part showing correct install method shows stainless ring on first, concave toward inside. Then the small o-ring and the double lip seal is pressed into the hub. Looks to me the small o-ring rides just on the edge of the inside bearing. The double lip rides on the stainless ring. Strange design.....
Think its best to stick with original with double lip. Add a little summer heat & I'd be Leary of the fine little o-ring becoming pieces & making way into the rollers on the bear to race surface. Small and flimsy little booger.

Thanks Guys,
Blessings
Old 04-26-2014, 06:32 PM   #9
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
I have 5,200 # axles. The Dexter seal number that came on it was 010-036-00. They are a double lip seal.
That's what I buy when I service the bearings. I buy them from a local trailer sales/repair shop. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:08 AM   #10
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by campfishhavefun

Thanks Irlpguy,
Was checking out etrailers version of a ez-lube Grease seals. They consist of a stainless steel ring a small o-ring and a double lip seal (3 pieces). Video adjacent to the part showing correct install method shows stainless ring on first, concave toward inside. Then the small o-ring and the double lip seal is pressed into the hub. Looks to me the small o-ring rides just on the edge of the inside bearing. The double lip rides on the stainless ring. Strange design.....
Think its best to stick with original with double lip. Add a little summer heat & I'd be Leary of the fine little o-ring becoming pieces & making way into the rollers on the bear to race surface. Small and flimsy little booger.

Thanks Guys,
Blessings
My link would have taken you to the seal only, there is no reference to the EZ-lube outer grease cap on the page. As dieselguy pointed out there appears to be two possible sizes one with a 2.125 bore and the one I referenced with the 2.225 bore. On the Dexter website the seal for the 6000 and 7000# axles is a 2.225 bore, both had the 3.376 OD.
Might be best to pull one wheel and mic it before ordering.

Many trailer repair shops sell Dexter axles, any one of them should be able to tell you the correct seal.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote