Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2008, 02:39 AM   #1
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
lower tech navigation

Just to share a lower tech approach to navigation. I use Mapquest and then verify routing with a Trucker Atlas book to have no low underpass problems.

Again, my personal preference, Mapquest maps preferred to Google Maps.

I have found the routing on Good Sam trip planning service nice to be able to select to avoid low underpass and cities, get mountain grade warnings, etc. But we do not like the printed report. AAA trip planning is also free on line and we like it better than Google.

We have not found a single online service that doesn't require a little supplement from the Next Exit printed guide.

Hope this provides references to a few places to look at for the new RVer and others who haven't tried these services yet.

I want to go more on side roads and less interestate. This idea makes my wife nervous! (She has seen me drive.) The low underpass risk is handled by the Trucker Atlas and sticking to approved truck routes in the state.

Safe travels everyone

Gene

genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Gene,
I assume you are referring to the Motor Carrier's Road Atlas by Rand McNally???

I also use it as a low reference, along with the
Low Clearances

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:42 PM   #3
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
Wayne,
Yes indeed I mean the Rand McNalley Mortor carrier Atlas. I find it easy to visually check my route to verify it is a official truck route, then check the list of low underpasses on another page. I had seen the web page listing for undepasses you provided. I like all in one book convenience of the Atlas.

Do you have another favorite resource?

Gene
genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:06 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Gene,
I don't have a "favorite," but use any and all sources I can find. Just recently traveling in Maine I turned and caught a sign that said "Low Clearance, 12' 8"" Well I quickly backed up and went the way I was supposed to. I cannot find that on the AITA web site. I didn't check the MC RA but should have. I'm leary of any overpass that does not have markings on it. I'll pull over and wait for an 18 wheeler to come by and if he clears it, I know I will. 18 wheelers are 13' 6" high.

On Edit: I just ran across this site this morning and may consider it as "another" source.
Rand McNally Trouck Routing

I did a search (Google) on "U.S. Truck Routes."
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:01 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I checked yesterday at Flying J for a "Motorcarriers Road Atlas" or a Truck atlas of some kind and they did not know what I was talking about. Go figure, Just a Flying J........
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote