Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2007, 02:45 PM   #1
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Ok....Garmin users?

We just bought a Garmin Nuvi 200.

When we turn it on it states maps are from 2005. Is this common, or did we get a system with old software on it?

What does everybody else's say?

Yes I did e-mail Garmin, and am waiting for a reply.

PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:01 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
You can go to www.garmin.com , put in your information from the gps and it will tell you if you have the current info or if there's an update. It will also tell you how to update it.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:35 PM   #3
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
sreigle-
I have tried this and it does show mine, but I could purchase an update for $79.00. I don't think so not for a new system,
but I will look at the site again...who knows maybe I was having a brain cramp that day.

You know when I posted I almost just titled my post you...I knew you would be up to date on this
Old 07-16-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Check in the literature that came with the unit. I believe in mine, if I recall, there were instructions for getting an initial free update. I assume you bought it new. If you don't find it, I'd suggest you email or call Garmin and talk to them about it. I've emailed them and got a reply sometimes next day, sometimes within an hour. Once I sent an email on Sunday and got a reply on Sunday! Very customer oriented.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:29 AM   #5
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
As Sreigle has pointed out Garmin will respond to your (in my case) e-mails.

I did get a response, I have determined that my GPS is running the latest version..(darn). I can purchase an updated software for another $69.00.(darn,darn!)

Ok I like the Garmin, I like the quick and accurate response to my question by Garmin....

But am I wrong in being pushed out of shape, that we just bought a Garmin one month ago...brand new, paid $399.00. It uses 2005 maps...lower 48 states NT v8. But I can purchase a updated software for another $69.00.?!!!

Garmin rep. did say that if you find mistakes you can fill out an "error page" so they can correct the incorrect information...

Infact here is a little piece of my response;

"Thank you for contacting Garmin International,
I would be glad to help you with that today, The year that you see displayed after the loading maps message is in fact the year the copyright date of the company that has the mapping rights. In order to find the current version of mapping that you have on your unit. Click the wrench at the main menu screen , then you will see a settings option. The list that you come too there will be an option that says Map select this option and it will take to the map menu page. Where you will see an a Map info option at the bottom of the screen choose this option and the version that should be loaded on the unit is City Navigator lower 48 states NT v8 this is the current version of mapsource to date. In regards too some areas being out of place mapping updates are done every 12-14 months can be checked on the link that I have given you below. If you do find some areas are out of place are incorrect we do have an error report form that you can fill out and send to us so that we can make changes and fix these errors. I would like to thank you for choosing Garmin.
Error report form: http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/m...errorForm.html
check map updates here: http://www8.garmin.com/unlock/update.jsp

.....now, if updates are done every 12-14 months, why am I seeing information that is 3 years out of date, especially a KOA that closed down 3years ago.

Is it that we the customers are not doing our part and informing the companies of changes.....

Can you tell I'm wound up...

I better stop for now, and re-think this.

sreigle- Thanks for your help...again you were right on!....maybe you should help out the GPS companies
Old 07-18-2007, 11:25 AM   #6
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I am thinking 05 is the most current version of 'City Maps" I have a freind sending me the latist maps I will check the version
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote