Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2006, 11:41 AM   #1
Montana_1892
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1892
getting closer

well, it is getting closer ... farm is on the market and things are starting to move into storage. We are back yard boon docking, most of the clothing is on board, still using the old house to cook and bathe in.
But still the big question ... where to stay the last couple years before i retire.
option one: stay at the fam-camp at the near by Air Force Base ( where i still work or show up as a civilian) and winter at local RV camps. The wintering may involve buying into a membership in K&M resorts.
option two: stay at a near by mobile home park, that accepts long term RV rentals.
option three: eat $24,000 in losses and retire 2 years early.

Thoughts?????

Montana_1892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:09 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Grey-ghost,
It sounds like you have some hard choices ahead of you. I had a friend who stayed out at the Yogi Bear campground in Medical Lake during the 04-05 winter. But as you stated that would require you to join the KM network of campgrounds. They said it was really nice staying out there, if memory is right, they had phone, cable, and full hookup. The campground also rented them a large propane tank and came around every 2 weeks to top it off. If you have not already done so I would say stop in out there and see what they have could offer. Of course if you can really afford to give up the $24K and start fulltiming now, I would say go for it. I only have another 32 years or so to go and I am already ready to hit the road. Also just food for thought, there is the Alderwood campground up in north Spokane as well. Only knew one person to stay there for 2 weeks, had nothing really good or bad to say about that one. Best of luck on your decision, it sure is a big one.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:14 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Grey-ghost, this is purely my opinion and may not be echoed by anyone else. To me it depends entirely on how important that 24,000 is to you. Not whether you'd be forfeiting the 24,000 but how important it is to your comfort to the end of your life. I say that because I retired five weeks after turning 55. By doing that I gave up way more than 24,000 in retirement benefits that I'd have had if I worked to 62. BUT, I have seven more years of retired life and am enjoying every single moment of it far more than I enjoyed working (and I liked my career). To me that is worth way more than 24,000. Who knows, I may not even live to 62. I do not know nor want to know your financial situation. If the 24,000 is important to your future financial security, then retiring now may not be right for you.

Good luck, whichever way this works out for you.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:43 PM   #4
Montana_1892
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1892
thanks for the input
Old 04-10-2006, 05:21 PM   #5
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Hey if you don't really need the $24,000, go for the retirement. What will you have after taxes? NOT MUCH!
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:13 AM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
When my wife wanted to travel to Europe seven years ago, I complained about how much we would loose by taking that money out of savings/stocks. My wife said, "What good will all that money do if our health fails and we never get to make the trip?" We took the trip.

We both retired a little early. I put the calculator to it and discovered that by the time it made a difference, I would be 85. Soo I am working in Hong Kong and drawing Social Security which means I am making more money than before and Dianna is truely retired and having the time of her life.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:23 PM   #7
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Phyllis and I are spending the next two years in a small rv park her ein Allyn, Washington until she retires. She won't get all that much when she retires, but this is what she wants to do, so we will do it. We are able to take trips etc pretty much whenever we feel like it, so that part isn't too bad. If you can find someplace reasonable to stay for the next two years, it can be a fun adventure!! Personally I love it, I am already retired and I work with my model trains, read, walk the dog, watch TV, solve all the world's problems, and all in one day! It can work if you let it,IMHO
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:28 AM   #8
Montana_1892
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1892
hi, thanks for the input ... rickety, gizmo looks very much like our Taffi, 12 pounds of real "bad" dog, who will most likely kill some big dog some day when she gets stuck in it's throat. The trees and bushes are just starting to bloom out well here, so the time has come when the serious looki-lues will start making the rounds...
has anyone stayed long term in a mobilehome park, there is one close by for $210 a month, plus electricity??? Still have 2yrs, six months to retirement.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:28 AM   #9
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
We lived in one for a year and a half and it worked out good. They had a pool, paper service, and a nice yard. It should be good if you get good park. Only thing you will find is that all the people who live there will be envious of you.
FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:48 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
grey-Ghost I note that you are federal Civil Service so may be able to relate to your "eat 24,000" statement. I am a retired Fed (CSRS) and Helen will soon be a retired fed also (CSRS) I am Retired and Helen retires In November' She could have retired early at a loss of 2% of her high 3 per year..That add's up. She chose to stay because as she said I came this far and I earned it.To her it was a matter of finishing a job.I could have retired at 55 with 33 years service but stayed till 62 with 40 years service(including military) Had to wait around for Helen anyhow.Had I retired at 55/33 instead of 62/40 I would have easily "ate 24,000) and then some. Just my opinion. I would stay the 2 years. the extra pension dollars will make retirement easier..Unless you don't need the extra dollars..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:05 PM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Well as one who did retire a little early let me add in my 2 cents. Your peace of mind and your health are more important than a few dollars. I lost about $100 per month (between SS and government pension) by going 9 months early. I was in a very stressful position and it was really wearing on my health. Had I continued I'm sure the heart attack I had a few months ago would have come sooner and probably a lot harder. In the meantime I had 9 months with my Mother before she died which makes me feel really good. We have lived in several RV parks as we used the RV so I could work away from our stick house. Some good ones, some bad. If you get in a good park it is really a great way to live. We've stayed as long as 2 years in the same park.
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote