Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2016, 10:43 AM   #1
Fire_Hazard
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18448
Lippert levelling

5th weekend out and 4th with no auto level. Anyone else have this problem? Been back to the dealer 3 times, this weekend I finally took bottle jacks to get it stable. The dealer finally had a mobile repair guy call Friday around 830 but I already had the bottle jacks set up and saw no reason for this guy to drive 1.5 hours. Taking it in tomorrow but wondering what should be done. Replace the system, have them order a new camper, let them reset the system, which took the 14 hours last time? I am very handy and could pull and rebuild a motor on the side of the road but this thing just will not work. Did I get a Lemon? Anyone else having these problems?

Fire_Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:58 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
2013 3402...never a problem.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 01:11 PM   #3
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Maybe a bit more description of what is not working. Do you have lights on the panel, do the rams try to move, etc. Simple fixes, double check the fuse/circuit breaker etc. Reboot system and I am sure there are some other simple things to check. Have chatted with a few people who had bad pumps..

Tom Marty
Old 06-19-2016, 03:21 PM   #4
Fire_Hazard
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18448
Different codes every weekend.This week was LR jack retract and right front retract. Kept telling me to retract all jacks. I had not even lowered any. Took over three hours to get it off my truck. Rams did make noise but just error out and shut down and starts beeping. It is an electric system.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:12 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
For those of you that have a working level up ... it's the "bee's knees". For those of you that have the problematic level up systems ( there are a growing number according to RV techs)... it's a bummer. Bad control boards ... bad level sensors ... improperly installed level sensors ... wiring harness that has come unplugged ... all possibilities. Some units work fine say hooking up to the truck, then the control board simply fails and you near can't get it off the truck once at the campsite. Carry the 1/4" allen adaptor that goes in the end of the pump motor and a drill motor. Learn which valves and how to manually close and open the valves so you can at least get the front cylinders to get you off the truck. There is more than one document for the level up, but page 11 on this one has the what to do with photos. https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...ideout-web.pdf
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:49 PM   #6
Fire_Hazard
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18448
After this many problems do I request a new trailer? My wife really wants to sell it and just stop camping. How do I get the dealer to make things right?
Old 06-20-2016, 02:53 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Have you opened a file with Keystone Customer Service?
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:18 AM   #8
Fire_Hazard
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18448
Just at the dealer how do I open one with Keystone?
Old 06-20-2016, 04:22 AM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Call Keystone Customer service and explain to them what's happening, how little satisfaction you've gotten to date, and how you and your wife feel and ask them to open a file or case (whatever they call it) for you and help you get things fixed.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:25 AM   #10
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Call (866) 425-4369
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:53 PM   #11
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Just to make sure,when you disconnect the trailer and before attempting to do the auto level, are you making sure the front of the trailer is fairly high, maybe even higher than it would be when you have discconnected it from the hitch? The auto level will not start if the rig is too low in the front.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:43 AM   #12
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
This is an ELECTRIC Level Up system, not hydraulic. It functions very differently from the hydraulic systems we are used to. I have two friends with this system and they have both had issues. A good dealer and/or Lippert support is essential to diagnose and repair problems.

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:19 AM   #13
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I wondered when the op said this is an electric system if he thought it was an electrical issue or the electric levelup system. I also wondered if it works in manual mode since the op never said anything about this. The elctric system is known as the Ground Control wireless leveling system. The word wireless would scare the heck out of me given that so many devices operate in the wifi band of 2.4/5 ghz bands and hence the chance for system issues. It may not be the issue here, but is the op standing there with a cell phone being used? Other interesting note in this thread by dieselguy was the download tag from lippert is totally different than the hydraulic levelup that is in our monte...so i assume there is probably another document that deals with the 2013 and older systems. Anyway, I would be thinking electrical noise issues with the op's system at the controller module or wifi interference (rfi) bing the issue/s. Good luck. John
Old 06-21-2016, 02:31 PM   #14
Fire_Hazard
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18448
It is not wireless but is an electric level up system. I have a phone but have used less then 800 minutes in 11 years so that is not the problem. I can get the front up and down now and got it to the dealer today. they did a "hard" reset and still the same they are baffled. The jacks come on in manual mode but when try to drop the rear jacks to stabilize manually it errors out. Clearing the rear error makes the front error out. Clear the front and the rear errors out. The dealer could not even get the error to clear today. That original thought I was on a really unlevel site, which was not the case, but I moved three different times. Dealer tried to set up on there level lot and no dice. Still will not clear error.They are going to replace module in the middle of the basement and computer. We are also have problems with fridge door not shutting without lifting and slamming it and the couch slide is hanging up. I have a feeling this may be do to the 6 point level system not working so the center points can't be deployed. However the front A/c won't shut off either put it on 72 and wake up every 2 hours, a couple weeks ago it got down to 64 up front and we were waking up every 2 hours to turn it on and off manually. Been a very sad experience with a very expensive and brand new camp. Must have been built on a Friday!
Old 06-21-2016, 04:32 PM   #15
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Sorry to hear of all the issues. We have had quite a bit of issues with our 3160 but the level up system is actually one part that we have not had problems with. To many other issues to list and we are on a special list at Keystone but it has not seemed to really help a lot yet. Time will tell. Good luck on getting your issues resolved. If you have a good dealer it will help quite a bit..

Tom Marty
Old 06-21-2016, 04:55 PM   #16
Fire_Hazard
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18448
Dealer has been stellar so far as for dealing with it via phone and getting things done ASAP when I bring it in. Just frustrating as hell. next time we are out and it does not work I will call Lippert. Just feel that the dealer should go the extra mile to make things right or replace the unit. They must have 50+ new Montana models on the lot and I would hope I would not have to get certified in repairing them to make it work on a regular basis.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:51 PM   #17
TAG51
Established Member

M.O.C. #17978
If the front is anymore than 3 degrees lower than the back the manual states this is an error condition which auto level will not work. I ran into this last weekend, pad was inclined at least 3 degrees, and had to manually level the coach. Once we returned to level ground auto level worked fine.
TAG51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 08:47 AM   #18
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
You certainly have a jinxed unit! It would be interesting to hear what happens if you shut off the converter via breaker, then try the level up...just to eliminate electrical noise from it affecting the system. I really feel for you as you are in trailer limbo land. Make sure to let the forum know whatever your outcome. Yeah, I would be demanding a new unit as well. John
Old 06-22-2016, 02:29 PM   #19
Fire_Hazard
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18448
As of 4 o'clock they do not have it figured out. I do taxes and payroll for a company who is very good friends with the owner and will be eating dinner with him tomorrow. Sometimes it is who you know, I really am hoping for a new trailer.

Old 06-24-2016, 02:07 PM   #20
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
how do you level it manually? I have the hydraulic system, and a few weeks ago, I was on a very inclined sight, and auto level would not work, I had to use a lot of wood blocks borrowed from other campers and finally got it to work. But I tried to level it manually, but I couldn't figure out how to control one jack at a time to do it, especially the rear jacks. The set behind the tires seem to want to always come down first, then the set in the rear. isn't there a way to do each jack manually>? just for those instances when u need to?
that would have helped out for sure, because before I resorted to using the wood blocks, I was getting it very close each time .

sorry to get off topic
2019 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie CTD 6.7
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote