Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2013, 05:39 AM   #1
higgs6867
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13512
Rear Stabilizer Issue

Well we are on week one of our 2 month trip and we have an issue that I want to ask you guys about. I'm having trouble with the rear stabs, I have to tap on the motor with my hand to get it running and then it runs for about 7 seconds and then bogs down, let up on the button and wait for a minute and it runs fine again for a few seconds and then binds up again, it never actually stops but just slows way down. I got under the trailer and checked and lubbed the jack screw and it all looks good, kinda acts like it's running on a weak battery but I'm plugged in to shore power. Any ideas? I read the threads about water getting inside the motor.
Next question but still concerning the stabilizers is, has anyone had any experience getting something like this repaired on the road, the stabs are still in warranty so I guess a Keystone dealer would be the place to go, but does it take 2 weeks to order, can they get you in this month, ect. It's not a devastating breakdown but a pain in the buttocks none the less. Any info would be appreciated.

higgs6867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:30 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Call Keystone customer service. They can get you an appointment down the road or authorize a local repair shop to do the job (they did that for us). They have been good to work with for us and the place I always call first.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #3
higgs6867
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13512
Thanks Dick, I'll do it, the two Keystone dealers in the Albuquerque area didn't want to mess with it. I did find the motor manufactuer, Klauber Machine, they will sell me the motor for $126.00 plus shipping as opposed to $485.00 from Lippert. I'll call Keystone and see what they say.

Thanks
Old 07-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
higgs6867
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13512
Well my first dealings with Keystone Customer service was not too bueno, as a matter of fact it was completely unsatisfactory and I let them know it, the next person I talked to was much more concerned about my problem than the first dude and we were able to get a solution figured out. 75k is a lot of money to spend on something to be told by the customer service rep, they don't know what to tell me. Poop on that. He more or less indicated that it's my responsibility to facilitate the repairs and while that may be true, all I wanted was some guidance in the process and procedure of getting this fixed on the road and under warranty. Anyway blah,blah,blah no use complaining, do the best we can and go on.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It actually was in New Mexico (Deming) that Keystone authorized a non-dealer warranty repair for us, but we also had warranty work done at Camping World in Albuquerque even thought they don't sell Monty's there they do in other parts of the country so Keystone considered them an authorized repair place for our Montana. We had a good experience at that Camping World, but like you I've found at least one of the Albuquerque Montana dealers to be less than interested in rigs they didn't sell.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:36 AM   #6
higgs6867
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13512
Well I got an appointment set up and the parts ordered to fix the rear stabs. I Set it up with Tarpleys RV in Durango Co. We'll be through there next week. They were very helpful on the phone both the parts Lady and the service dept. guy. He said they were booked up well into August but he would slide me in no problem. They sound like really good folks and yes, they are a Keystone dealer. We shall see.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #7
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Great news, there are some good dealers out there.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:17 AM   #8
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Motor is very easy to remove and reinstall. Took me about 15 minutes and I didn't know what I was doing!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote