Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2014, 05:10 AM   #1
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
For the A/V Tech Geeks....

Well here is a new one...

I was watching TV a couple of weeks ago with the Sony Surround on which is hooked into the Sony Bravia tv all which came with the new rig when the sound suddenly went out. The message the DVD player said push power protect. I looked into the troubleshooting and did what it said and if it did not work they said call service. So we called our dealer and explained the issue and they said the DVD is toast and they would send a new one via UPS and to swap out and send old back.

So we get the new one and plug it in and the same push power protect message comes up. We took the old DVD and plugged it in separately and it works fine. We disconnected the TV from the new DVD and both work fine separately.

The moment we plugged the HDMI cable back in to the tv the push power protect came up.

So we called our dealer again and they figured the TV was bad so they ordered a new TV. The TV came in and we drove to the dealer with the old tv and both DVD players and all the cables. The dealer hooked the old TV to the old dvd player and it worked fine!

SO now the question is, what the heck is the problem. It is not like this has been a systemic issue...it just came up a couple of weeks ago.

Of course the dealer right away thought that my Progressive EMS is causing it. As I explained to him the EMS really only monitors the juice coming in from the shore power and will kick off the whole rig if it is too low or high on a particular line. And if there were an issue why did it just show up and why does both components work by themselves?

Also the HDMI cable is only transmitting low voltage, actually millivolts.

When I get home I am going to check the outlet to see if the ground is loose... but cannot figure that would cause this if both components work alone.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Old 12-17-2014, 07:43 AM   #2
sapest
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11886
Check all the speaker wires for short. Or cut in wire, that sort of thing. Good luck.

-Steve
sapest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:06 AM   #3
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sapest

Check all the speaker wires for short. Or cut in wire, that sort of thing. Good luck.

-Steve
Thanks Steve, will try hooking everything back up without the speaker wires plugged in....
Old 12-17-2014, 01:03 PM   #4
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Well Steve was spot on....plugged everything in and all worked and then plugged each speaker wire one at a time....got to the left surround sound rear speaker and poof the DVD kicked out with the push power protect....disconnected it turned the unit back on and off and tried the rest of the speakers and they all worked.
So now I have to determine where the issue is with the speaker? Wire or speaker?

Did I mention that the MOC is great and has thru again? It is!
Old 12-17-2014, 01:10 PM   #5
sapest
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11886
good troubleshooting!

Now, what are you doing with the extra DVD player and TV. . . . . . .?

-Steve
Old 12-17-2014, 01:17 PM   #6
sapest
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11886
BigB
I will guess the wire over the speaker. Can you run a pr of wires to that speaker ? That will prove if speaker or wires.

-Steve
Old 12-18-2014, 01:52 AM   #7
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
I guess once we get to AZ I will have time to figure which it is wire or speaker and why it may have happened....as for the new components the dealer kept them since they proved it was not the DVD or TV.