Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Here we go again! 3rd update!

Well we made it to Little Rock, Arkansas and went to disconnect the Monte from the TV and guess what/-- it's a no go! It would raise just off the hitch but not over the Bedsaver! RATS!!!! All I got was the racheting of the gears and the twisting of gearbox and motor. Called Good Sam Extended Warranty and went to the office here at the campground to see if they knew of a good service tech that comes to the park. They gave me a card of a mobile tech and I called GSEW again to find out what they needed. Long story short--- it's time to have the front landing legs and gearbox replaced. GS will cover everything except for about $30 of the service call, $40 of the shipping charge, a couple other small items and the $200 deductible. Only problem is that we wanted to be home by this next weekend,the 30th, for our Granddaughters birthday party. The parts were ordered today and Lippert says they will be here next Wednesday. That will give us 2 days to get back to Omaha. We're keeping our fingers crossed the parts come in early and the tech can get them on before then. Called Lippert and asked about express shipping and they said it would cost us an extra $80+ in freight. Being the tighta-s I am, I passed on that idea and we will have to sit it out here in hopes the parts will come in earlier than predicted!! We were waiting here in Little Rock for the temps to warm up and the snow to melt in Omaha but this delay was not expected and to our liking either! Oh well another story to tell the grandkids and around the campfires of the upcoming rallies on the schedule!

UPDATE-- Thursday the 28th-- Well the parts came in late yesterday and the tech was on site at 8:30 this morning. We started work on it about five minutes later. The tech jacked up the front and started working on the drivers side leg and gearbox. Got it off and went to put the new leg and gearbox on and YOU GUESSED IT- Lippert had sent the wrong legs. They sent the newer legs that fit on the inside of the front storage area but our unit has the legs on the OUTSIDE of the storage unit and in the propane tank areas. Needless to say the tech was not happy and was really afraid to tell us what had happened. He was on the phone instantly and talked to Lippert for more than 20 minutes. They will be sending out the correct units and this time it will be sent on the two day delivery--BUT we have to pay the shipping again. Asked about overnight and it would have run us over $400 just to get the units shipped. Said "No thanks!" Now we're waiting here to get the parts and hoping to hit the road again for Omaha on Easter Sunday. We won't make the granddaughters birthday party but we'll call her and wish her Happy Birthday tomarrow and have a party of our own when we get back home!
Wish us luck and pray we make it home for us to get our taxes done before the send in date!

2nd Update--Saturday the 30th--Well the parts didn't come in today so we will be sitting here for another two days waiting to see if the come in! I guess me and Lippert will have to have a talk when all of this gets over. They ship the wrong parts and when we asked about expedited delivery of the correct one with two day delivery they hit me again with a jacked up UPS charge and guess what-- they don't show up like they said they would. This is one unhappy camper at the present time and I want some money back on "their" goofup! It's costing me more meals here and more camping fees on top of the exorborant extra freight charges. HOPEFULLY, the price on the correct parts is not higher also. If they are, Lippert had better be ready for some real language coming their way! Update will be put on here come Monday again!!!

UPDATE #3-- Monday-April Fools Day! Parts are in and on the Monte! Hurray!!!!! Going to be headed north tomarrow morning and should be home by Wednesday--IF NOTHING ELSE HAPPENS!!! Come to find out the parts were in on Saturday BUT the delivering agency-UPS- would not deliver them because they were not paid for a "Saturday Delivery" even though they were paid $161.50 for a second day delivery! Of course I guess that's better than the $400+ they wanted for overnight delivery from Indiana! I'm in the wrong business folk!!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Ron,
You might want to check the weather for this weekend and get out your ski's.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
well, we are making sure that Rondo behaves himself. We are looking at going to Branson but it is colder there than here--40's here, predicted lows in the 20's. Omaha certainly has no heat wave either--snow until Sun or Mon.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Did you try contacting Venture Manufacturing, the company that makes the landing leg assembly rather than Lippert? They have been very responsive in my dealings with them.

Patty Everling
Administrative Assistant
Venture Mfg. Co.
3636 Dayton Park Dr.
Dayton, OH 45414
patty@Venturemfgco.com
Tel: 937-233-8792 ext. 20
Toll Free: 866-365-1957
Fax: 937-233-8485

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Thanks Carl! Unfortunately the legs and gearbox are already ordered from Lippert but I will give the service tech the information incase he finds more of these along the way! He told me he's replaced about 5-6 sets in the last year or so.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
It would probably have been cheaper to have flown John Kohl up to fix it from Vegas. He is a whiz at landing gear rebuilds...
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Rondo
What is next, you can't blame me for holding you up this time. LOL Maybe you can check out this web site http://www.jamattrv.com/ we traded there once. Great people and GREAT PRICES.

Larry & LaVonne
Old 03-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Sorry to hear about another problem on your trip home. Guess you should have bought a new Monty at the circle in Q. With any luck you'll be home in time for the rally this summer
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:08 AM   #9
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
We had exactly the same problem on arrival here in AZ. The service tech had a long conversation with Venture and it turns out that some of our heavier Montana and Big Sky models have inadequate landing gear for the weight involved, resulting in many similar failures. The folks at Venture highly recommended conversion to a dual motor system and that's what we've decided to do. Extended maintenance folks will still pay the cost for the base unit, so I will gladly pony up the additional money. Unit will be installed on Thursday and I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

I also built a new relay board to permit use of the remote control with the dual motor system. It's based on design developed by a fellow MOCer and I can provide details if anyone is interested.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:30 AM   #10
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MikeM

We had exactly the same problem on arrival here in AZ. The service tech had a long conversation with Venture and it turns out that some of our heavier Montana and Big Sky models have inadequate landing gear for the weight involved, resulting in many similar failures. The folks at Venture highly recommended conversion to a dual motor system and that's what we've decided to do. Extended maintenance folks will still pay the cost for the base unit, so I will gladly pony up the additional money. Unit will be installed on Thursday and I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

I also built a new relay board to permit use of the remote control with the dual motor system. It's based on design developed by a fellow MOCer and I can provide details if anyone is interested.
Ditto on the dual motors!
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #11
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
I will pray that all of the parts necessary come in super early and that the tech is ultra-vigilant on getting out there as soon as possible to get everything installed with NO issues, AND that you have a safe trip home to Nebraska AND make it in time for the granddaughter's birthday party! Whew! That is going to be one long prayer but well worth it!

I would like to think that the Lord is delaying you so that you miss some bad weather or a bad accident and you will have a perfectly wonderful trip home! Good luck!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:31 AM   #12
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Well, dang,-- I bet your granddaughter will forgive ya'll for not being able to be there. Sorry to hear about being stranded, but help is on the way I recon. Safe Road
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:17 AM   #13
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Rondo

Well first of all we posted a reply yesterday saying, wow what can go wrong next. Hope you received your parts today, and we had nothing with slowing down your parts . We will see you some time this summer, we hope.

CRUZIN 2 is offline   Reply With Quote