Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2004, 04:19 PM   #1
Montana_502
Established Member

M.O.C. #502
brakes

some time ago i saw on this site something about squealing brakes and the axel mfg making adjustments. Is this only for the 2004 or are the 2003's included.
thanks
Henry

Montana_502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 04:22 AM   #2
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
It's for all model years. Ours is a 2002 and it has squealing brakes.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 06:02 AM   #3
BigBlue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #109
Henry

I also had squealing brakes. I asked the service people to check them and they recommended just driving and holding your brake controller on to seat the brakes. That did help a bit. I had the brakes repacked recently by the dealer's service department and that really improved the situation. I don't know if you can ever get rid of the squealing entirely.
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 06:03 AM   #4
BigBlue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #109
Henry
I had the wheel bearing repacked not the brakes. Sorry
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 07:26 AM   #5
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
We have found that adjusting the brake controller, has taken most of the squeak out of the trailer brakes.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 09:58 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
After two years our brakes should be well-seated but they still set up a squall on occasion and have since day 1. So I guess ours is a different "problem". I was down to our dealer's yesterday and he was not aware of any recall for this. He's usually on top of things so this surprised me. We have an appt to have the brakes checked and whatever work needed done before we pull out of here (brake work 7/8) so will see if he finds anything then. I'd estimate we have about 15k miles on the brakes. He told me he doubts we really need any brake work yet but I'd prefer he check it now than we have problems on the road or damage the drums later on. On cars you used to be able to hear when the brakes were down on the rivets or the backing material but between distance back to those wheels and (my) age I doubt I'd hear it. I'll report back the condition of the brakes when we find out so anyone else wondering if they're due for brake work will at least have that experience to go on.

If anyone hears more about Alko covering the cost for this or issuing a recall, I'd appreciate hearing about it, preferably before I pay for a brake job.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote