Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2004, 06:48 AM   #1
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Telephone

Hi again,
Everyone in here is so helpful.
Since we are so new at this, (don't have all the toys the kids have)
we want to get a cellphone. Any suggestions? I heard Verizon is pretty good. Also, is there one out there that I can hook up a lap top to? Or
maybe such animal is not made ..yet!
What is the best way to go to hook up a lap top?
Hate to sound like such a dumb bunny, but any suggestions would be very helpful.

John & Marianne
2005 3295RD
2003 Chev. Duramax 3500 dual wheels

syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 07:16 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have been very, very happy with Cingular. We pay no roaming and no long distance anywhere in the lower 48. We've had service in places others tell us they don't. There have been a few places we've had weak service and one with no service but overall it's been excellent. My phone will connect to the laptop via infrared although I've not tried it. You then just dial your normal isp, no additional Cingular costs. I think they also have a service but don't know anything about it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 09:06 AM   #3
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We are on Verizon Nationwide and have very good luck with it. We carry a laptop that I just plug into my cellphone and get my ISP back in Va. Steve indicated that he has cingular and is well pleased too. I don't think you would go wrong with either. just check that your provider has the connection to your particular cell phone and the software to use it through your laptop. We have a motorola cell phone and it list several different models it will work with.
Ken and Velda
DAhlgren VA
2003 3655FL Montana/Ford F350 diesel
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by syplace

Hi again,
Everyone in here is so helpful.
Since we are so new at this, (don't have all the toys the kids have)
we want to get a cellphone. Any suggestions? I heard Verizon is pretty good. Also, is there one out there that I can hook up a lap top to? Or
maybe such animal is not made ..yet!
What is the best way to go to hook up a lap top?
Hate to sound like such a dumb bunny, but any suggestions would be very helpful.

John & Marianne
2005 3295RD
2003 Chev. Duramax 3500 dual wheels
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 10:45 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If the phone provider does not have a cable, try www.ositech.com . I used to have one of their cables for an earlier phone. It worked well but that particular phone was not a good choice for internet connection (internet was data rate only, not digital). Ositech's cables are pricey but if they're the only choice...
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 11:11 AM   #5
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
Here a tip for those of you with Verizon...

Verizon used to offer (I believe they still do) a per minute dialup plan that simply uses your available minutes. If you set up your software to dial #777, and use "qnc" both for the username and password, you will get a 14.4k connection.

Verizon started offering some customers NationalAccess (60k w/ bursts to 144k) for just the cost of minutes. When I upgraded my national plan to a family share plan, I got this included. You must have "NationalAccess per minute" listed under features in order to only use minutes and not get charged extra. I've talked to a couple of Verizon reps trying to figure this out but they all seem confused over this, so your mileage may vary.
You configure your device (or laptop) with the following information:
username= 5555555555@vzw3g.com (where the 5's are replaced with your
number)
password= vzw

At this point, we've been using the higher speed NationalAccess with no extra charges tacked on for the past two months. It's great because you get better speed and can use your "unlimited nights and weekends". I don't know what Verizon's stance is on this, but if you do a search on Google, it appears many people are using this and nobody at verizon gives a straight answer.

Fred
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 12:56 AM   #6
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
We just switched our service form AT&T to Nextell.I heard all the horror stories on Nextell but still went that way.The walkie-talkie feature is awesome.And haven`t had one droped call so far(i was hearing this is common with Nextell)Also we like that all incoming calls are free and don`t go aganist your minutes.But the main reason we went with Nextell was the walkie-talkie feature.Just push a button and your connested with who ever you have on your dirst connect list.It also comes in handy when backing into a camp site.So far we just love it.Now maybe in a year from now i`ll have a different view point.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 10:03 PM   #7
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Thumbs up to Verizon. We were able to get a signal in nearly every place we went even in a 12 mile dead valley in Montana last summer. The summer before my Sprint phone wouldn't get anything and we were without contact back home for three weeks except when we would catch our daughter at home and we had to call from a pay phone. It was a bit discerning being out there and on the road knowing the children could not reach us if they needed to.

I also connect to the internet using the cell phone as the modem and it works pretty darn good. I also incur no extra costs as I use the Quick to Net feature and connect after 9 p.m. where ever we are.

When we travel far I switch to National Access and will have to try Fred G's tip. Thanks Fred.

Samantha/Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 07:35 PM   #8
Montana_1520
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1520
Again thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge. We, too, are looking for the cell phone/internet connection and really appreciate your experiences. You make it easier on us novices.
#29 fans
04 3670RL Big Sky
04 Chevy 3500 CC Dually 4WD Duramax/Allison
Montana_1520 is offline   Reply With Quote