Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2004, 07:46 AM   #1
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Adding 2nd A/C wiring

I am a new member to the forum, and will pick up a new 2004 Montana 3255RL next week. It has every option we wanted except the 2nd A/C wiring. We live in Texas and may want to add a 2nd A/C in the future. I have searched and read the previous posts concerning using the power in the W/D closet for the 2nd A/C. Ours has the 50 amp option, and I think the outlet for the W/D is on the ceiling. It looks like about a 6 foot run to the 2nd A/C location. As anyone run a wire like this? If so, how did you do it? Also, when you order the "wired and framed for 2nd A/C" option, what exactly is the "framing" they are reffering to? Do I need to re-enforce the frame? I look forward to being an active member on the forum, and hope to contribute to some future discussions.

Mike
2004 Montana 3255RL (Coming)
2003 Keystone Sprinter (Going)
2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins

mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 12:37 PM   #2
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
I am not sure if your W/D circuit is ion circuit by itself or not, that may make a difference in whether it will handle the load. As far as the framing it has supports that run in between the raffters to help hold the 2nd AC. We have a 3685FL that is 37' long. One AC and it cools entire coach just fine here in the hot humid south in NC. You will also not have the 2nd thermostat wired if you did not order it wired for 2nd AC. Is it too late to have this option changes it's not but about 150 bucks to do it from factory.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 12:40 PM   #3
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
The front a/c could easily steal power from the w/d circuit. That's exactly what I was thinking. I haven't added the 2nd a/c yet but I did steal power from that circuit to add a couple of receptacles in the storage compartments.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 02:58 PM   #4
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
The W/D circuit is on a separate breaker, and I do not intend to run a W/D. It should handle the A/C with no problem. The 3255RL is a 2004 leftover, and is at a clearance price. It was built without the 2nd A/C wiring. I'm looking at adding a 13,500 BTU Carrier A/C unit that is very quiet, and does not need an external thermostat. My main issue is the difficulty of running the wiring. I'm thinking that I can remove the vent in the bedroom, and run a flat snake (like a tape rule), from the opening to the W/D closet. That assumes that there is not core foam sandwiched in the roof. If I have to build out a frame in the opening, that may be pretty tough. I would have thought that the vent opening was already framed?

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Broome101

I am not sure if your W/D circuit is ion circuit by itself or not, that may make a difference in whether it will handle the load. As far as the framing it has supports that run in between the raffters to help hold the 2nd AC. We have a 3685FL that is 37' long. One AC and it cools entire coach just fine here in the hot humid south in NC. You will also not have the 2nd thermostat wired if you did not order it wired for 2nd AC. Is it too late to have this option changes it's not but about 150 bucks to do it from factory.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:16 PM   #5
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
The vent is only framed to handle the weight of the vent itself not an AC. You could give the VIN to Keystone and ask them if they have a drawing on this unit you could get for the roof area. If the unit has artic package than you will experience insulation and foam in attic. You may however be able to use the attic vent that runs the length of the coach.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:40 PM   #6
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Based on this, it does not sound like it would be easy to add the 2nd A/C on a Montana that does not have the optional framing. I may pass on this unit, and look for one that has the option. I appreicaite the responses, and help in not making a mistake!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Broome101

The vent is only framed to handle the weight of the vent itself not an AC.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:09 AM   #7
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Put a call into the Factory and see what they say. THey may have a little more insight on how difficult a retrofit for framing would be.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 04:42 AM   #8
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
This may be nuts, but here goes! What if I installed a 12,000 BTU portable unit in the W/D closet. I could vent the unit through the W/D vent (If the Montana's use a vent). I could drill a small hole through the side of the unit to drain the water, or use a small pump to pump the water up to the W/D drain. If I needed the 2nd A/C, I could leave the closet door open. The last time we went camping, I saw one of these used in a tent. It worked great! The inside of the tent was 20 degrees cooler than outside air, and they rigged a vent and drain in the side of the tent. Comments?
Old 09-15-2004, 07:56 PM   #9
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
I would vote for a unit with the option of a 2nd A/C framed already. Keep us posted. Happyrving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 11:28 AM   #10
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
YOur right that sound nutty. Not saying your nuts or anything but it's not worth all that for second AC. The primary 15,000 BTU will do fine but if you inssit on 2nd unit get unit that has been prewired or one with 2nd AC. Unless thas=ey are giving you the 2004 for heck of deal. Just my thoughts.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:48 AM   #11
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
The 2004 is a pretty good deal. $27,300 for a unit that lists for $43,500. Hard to pass up, but I think I'll take the advice and look for a unit that has a 2nd A/C. We both like it cool, and my current 5th wheel can barely keep the unit 15 dgrees cooler than outside with a 15K BTU A/C. At 100 degrees outside, it is 85 inside. We like it 75!
Old 09-17-2004, 03:17 AM   #12
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Our previous fifth wheel was a different brand, was smaller, and had difficulty keeping it cool enough. Our Montana is a different story. It is 4 ft longer and on a weekend this summer that was 100 degrees it kept it almost cold inside and we were very comfortable. I really do not think you need 2.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote