Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > North America MOC / Western Region
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 04:42 PM   #1
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quartzsite - Kathy's (BirdingRVer) Surgery

In case you weren't aware, or have left the Quartzsite gathering and have asked, on Saturday, Kathy (of BirdingRVer fame) underwent emergency surgery in Blythe CA. She hadn't been feeling well for a couple of days and Grant took her in to be checked out. The initial diagnosis was appendicitis but that proved to be incorrect. Here is what Grant has written on his blog (http://www.birdingrvers.com/):

Sunday, January 25, 2009
Emergency Surgery for Kathy

I had planned to write about what a great time we had in Quartzsite just as soon as we stopped doing so much that I would have time to write. However, Saturday morning I took Kathy to the emergency room at the Blythe Hospital. After a long day and a lot of test in the emergency room The CT scan show that Kathy had to have her appendix removed. Her appendicitis was atypical because she didn’t have the fever or high white cell count usually associated with appendicitis.

Once the surgery began the doctor determined that her appendix was fine but that she had a “growth” or calcified deposit of something in the wall of her bowel and a small hole in her bowel near the appendix. Whatever it was it has been removed and sent to a lab to determine what it is.

Kathy will be fine but will be in the hospital for about a week. I will write more as we know more.

Monday, January 26, 2009
Kathy Update - 1

Kathy slept most of yesterday and when awake said she felt no pain.

The Doctor said everything went fine and there is no reason to think that there will be any problems but it was major surgery and recovery will take time. She will be in the hospital for about a week.

I want to thank all of you for your kind thoughts and prayers. I will update as I have news.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Kathy Update - 2

Kathy has gotten better to the point that she has started to complain about all of the tubes and wires that are attached to her. They have removed most of the tubes but the tube through her nose into her stomach really bothers her and they say at least another day. Monday she didn’t sleep as much during the day and her color is looking better. They had her walk around the bed in the morning and she was so tired she slept for an hour after her walk. They had her walk around the bed in the afternoon and she was tired but didn’t need to take a nap.

I think Monday was a harder day for Kathy because she was awake for most of it and just couldn’t get comfortable. She says she only has pain when the incision is touched or when trying to move.

The doctor continues to say that she will be in the hospital for “about a week” but, never says exactly how long she will be in the hospital.

Grant returned to the Quartzsite Circle this evening and reported that Kathy had a good day, the highlight of which was her taking a shower. She still has the tube through her nose and *REALLY* wants to be rid of it! If she hears "...one more day.." from the doctor again tomorrow, Grant thinks she will explode.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:16 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Thank you so much for the update on Kathy. I hope she is home soon.

Dennis and Mary Kay
Old 01-28-2009, 12:26 AM   #3
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Glad there was medical help close by. In Quartzsite you feel like you are nowhere. Grant, if you read this tell her hello from the folks on the other side of the circle.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:25 AM   #4
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Grant,
Glad to hear all went well with Kathy's surgery, and pray she has a speedy recovery.
Maybe you can sneak Raider into the hospital to help lift her spirits .
Old 01-28-2009, 01:29 AM   #5
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Thanks also for the update. We are anxious to hear that she has been released from the hospital and is comfortable at home. Please keep us posted on her condition.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:47 AM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We were not in "Q", and have not met Kathy, but, our prayers go out to Kathy. Get well soon!!
Old 01-28-2009, 03:47 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Grant,
Just found out about Kathy's surgery. Our prayers go out for her and you during this time. We pray for a rapid recovery so that your traveling experiences can continue unabated.

Orv & Marge
Old 01-28-2009, 04:09 AM   #8
wswebster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1249
Grant we met you in Alaska this past summer, we were sorry we couldn't of met Kathy. Our prayers and thoughts are with you both. Hope you see you both on the road again. Bill & Stacy Webster
Old 01-28-2009, 07:15 AM   #9
GOFNUTS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3053
Carl, thanks so much for posting the info from Grant's blog. We are glad to see Kathy's progress.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:06 PM   #10
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We too are sending hugs to both you and Kathy. Grant.
We have come so close to meeting so many times and I know that one day we will. Give her our best and take care of yourself too. I'm so glad that you were with the Montana Group when this happened. Just like being with family.

Helen & Bill
Old 01-29-2009, 12:55 AM   #11
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Carl,
That's good news, we have been wondering how Kathy is doing. Thanks for the update.
Grant,
Tell Kathy we're thinking of her, sounds like she's coming along fine. The 3rd day after surgery is usually the worst.
Closed Thread